Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Chocolate
Old 04-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Do you guys eat the 100% pure stuff straight?
With a cup of hot black coffee and a handful of whole natural almomds. A real flavor sensation.
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
it is called Bittersweet - on college (the oakland side, not berkeley side) near rockridge bart - i stop by whenever i visit!
Thank you kindly, Bright eyed -- I'll be sure to go there next time I'm down that way.

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

oops

thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner

Scharffenberger is an american brand liked by many, though I'm not a huge fan except for their 40% cacao milk chocolate. But if you're in the Berkeley area, a tour of their small factory is great fun (with lots of free samples!)
they also have a restaurant attached to the factory - it is pretty good. They try to be too high end in my opinion and should just go straight for the comfort - yummy factor - but it is good and of course you can get choco baked goods too!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:09 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm fond of Dagoba--seriously tasty stuff up to like 85% cacao, but they also do milk chocolates, lighter darks, and some bars with fruit and such in them (there's one with ground chiles that is DH's favorite). Plus they're fair trade and organic if that's something you care about in your candy purchases. If we're not feeling as PC that day, we go for Ghiradelli.
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed
they also have a restaurant attached to the factory - it is pretty good. They try to be too high end in my opinion and should just go straight for the comfort - yummy factor - but it is good and of course you can get choco baked goods too!
I also liked the restaurant. If going again, I'd definitely take the tour first before eating - we tried the restaurant just before the tour, and were lamenting that we were too full to take advantage of all the samples!
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #27

As others have suggested, I think Trader Joe's has a good variety. I like their TJ's labeled Belgian chocolate. I also like Valrona. DW loves a belgian chocolatier called Leonidas. There's a store in Pasadena, CA where they claim they fly in the chocolate directly from Belgium.

While I hate the mass-market American chocolate, I think the stuff made in the UK like Cadbury's and Kit Kat (UK) is quite good, but you can only get the stuff at British speciality stores.

WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I love Trader Joe's 72% Dark Chocolate (Imported from Belguim). Prevention Mag has an article on Chocolate this month --- some recommendations are: Dagoba Single Origin Los Rios (68%cacao);Chocolatour Tanzania Vintae 2005 (76% cocoa); Valrhona 2006 Chocolate Noir de Domaine Plantation Palmira (64% cocoa).
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:04 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Callebaut. Or, cheap 70% Lindt at Walmart.

Hershey and some others have milkfat added. I avoid, since there's good chocolates without milkfat.
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

This doesnt quite fit in with the readily available- and if you really like it you might have to go back to w*rk for a while to afford a full fledged addiction- add a couple thousand to your nest egg.

A professor in law school introduced me to this. I say you try it at least once- well worth the adventure to me.

http://www.lamaisonduchocolat.com/en/

Deetso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetso
lamaisonduchocolat

They make perhaps the best chocolate candies I've ever had. (Truffles, caramels, creams, etc)

Not sure if still the same, but I used to stop at the counter at Bergdorf Goodman by Central Park, and get a few dollars worth. Which, at over $50 a pound, means a few very small candies.
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetso
i luv their chocolate maccarons!

for cooking callebaut, valrhona.

since the holidays, i've ben making choclate truffle waffles on the weekend to use up the hefty Costco truffle box.

also Cadbury and Perugina, although i think the imported stuff is from a different recipie than what you get overseas.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

On a related note... the FDA is considering redefining "chocolate."
The change would allow manufacturers to substitute vegetable fats and oils for cocoa butter, yet still call the product "chocolate":

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...opinion-center

I'll be checking the ingredient labels on my chocolate more closely if this goes through! There's still time to submit comments to the FDA until April 25th.

figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #34

Is it the FDA that once defined Ketchup as a vegetable? That was so good for Heinz!
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
Is it the FDA that once defined Ketchup as a vegetable? That was so good for Heinz!
someone in the reagan administration to "allow" ketchup to count as part of nutrition programs going to kids...ketchup is mostly sugar - not even real sugar, high fructose corn syrup! :P
Old 04-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I just googled this review of Hershey's Cacao Reserve:

taste test

Hmm, I might try the bar with nibs.
The hershey reserve is pretty good.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner
On a related note... the FDA is considering redefining "chocolate."
The change would allow manufacturers to substitute vegetable fats and oils for cocoa butter, yet still call the product "chocolate":

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...opinion-center

I'll be checking the ingredient labels on my chocolate more closely if this goes through! There's still time to submit comments to the FDA until April 25th.

over fifty percent of foods marketed for kids that have a fruit in the name have no fruit in them at all so it's not surprising!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

for ordering chocolate:

http://www.chocosphere.com/

my faves on that site are:

michel cluizel
dagoba
dolfin

my absolute favorite chocolate right now is l'artigiano extra fondente al sale dolce (italian dark chocolate with 'sweet' sea salt)

http://www.iluvchocolate.com/store/c...Chocolate.html

capable of improving even the foulest moods.
Celany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #39

i have a new half-baked idea for destroying your diet plan...half baked chocolate chip cookies.

this is much better than raw cookie dough. half-baked raw cookie dough.

here's what ya do: just half-bake them. 8 or 9 minutes max. then you put them right away into the fridge. chill for about a 1/2 hour and you have cooked raw chocolate chip cookie dough. mmmmmmmm. pure gluttony.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
here's what ya do: just half-bake them. 8 or 9 minutes max. then you put them right away into the fridge. chill for about a 1/2 hour and you have cooked raw chocolate chip cookie dough. mmmmmmmm. pure gluttony.
you are an evil, evil man...
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote