Join Early Retirement Today

Chocolate
Old 04-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Chocolate

I am 100% sold on the health benefits of chocolate. And even if it were bad for me, I'd probably still be a chocoholic.

So far, I've only found two brands I like at the grocery store. Droste Extra Dark (72% cocoa), and Valor Pure Dark Chocolate (70% cocoa).

I just took a chance on an online purchase of Lazzaroni dark chocolate, and it's miserable Hershey-level stuff.

Anybody have any good recommendations for readily available high-quality chocolate?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Chocolate
Old 04-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well I'm a treehugger, so I'd recommend buying fair-trade chocolate that doesn't use slave labor.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #3

i love chocolate too!

however, i think the ones coming out marketed as a health product are silly and i won't buy them - i'd rather get one that tastes great and happens to be good for me, not the other way around!

not any expert though - but they did have a chocolate cafe in oakland when i lived there! oh, they have the best "chocolatte" - euro style!

for now i just get whatever they have a trader joe's - def better price and selection than mega market - at least organic, better fair trade!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
they did have a chocolate cafe in oakland when i lived there!
Do you mean that it was like a coffee shop (or one of the new ritzy tea shops) but that it served chocolate primarily? What an amazing idea.

Do you remember what it was called?

Old 04-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #5

WAB, thanks for starting this thread on a matter of importance to us all!

Sees chocolates, started as a small business in Pasadena, CA, available by mail. I have been addicted since my great aunt started bringing Sees to family holiday dinners and sending me giant chocolate walnut cream eggs at Easter.
www.sees.com
Old 04-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #6

I spent a few years in Switzerland, and although I can distinguish good chocolate from not so good, I have learned to appreciate almost all chocolate. Not carob mind you, but even white chocolate which isn't even chocolate. It's just about the same for red wine . . . and together . . . even better.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.cocoamill.com/

Very nummy.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Anybody have any good recommendations for readily available high-quality chocolate?
Isn't that spelled "high-qualntity"?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #9

Chocolate - the food that should form the base of the food pyramid
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is it true that President William Jefferson Clinton was trying to get a bill passed to fund genetic engineering that would result in semem tasting like chocolate as a form of birth control? I understand it would have passed through Congress without the foul intervention of right wing conservatives!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Is it true that President William Jefferson Clinton was trying to get a bill passed to fund genetic engineering that would result in semem tasting like chocolate as a form of birth control?
The heck with the legislation-- who's doing the research?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Mmmmmm, Dark Chocolate!

I think those Chocolove bars are really good. It's a smooth Belgian style chocolate.

The Endangered Species bars are really good too. There have various animals on the package.

About every two months we have to "raid" Whole Foods to replenish our chocolate stash. We're pretty serious about our chocolate in this household!

Audrey
Old 04-18-2007, 01:02 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

My favorite stuff: Valrhona, some varieties available at Trader Joe's and other high end grocery stores (Whole Foods, Bristol Farms). I like the semibitter and dark kinds for snacking. A little goes a long way: nibble off a tiny bite and let it slowly melt on your tongue.

European brands (especially if made in Europe) tend to taste better than American brands, especially for the cheaper stuff. I can eat cheap Swiss/German chocolate, but not Hersheys, Nestle, etc. One thing to watch for in the ingredients label: corn syrup gives chocolate a distinctive aftertaste I don't like, and many american brands use corn syrup. Go for the straight sugar. Lindt is a good brand found in most grocery stores.

Scharffenberger is an american brand liked by many, though I'm not a huge fan except for their 40% cacao milk chocolate. But if you're in the Berkeley area, a tour of their small factory is great fun (with lots of free samples!)

Old 04-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Do you mean that it was like a coffee shop (or one of the new ritzy tea shops) but that it served chocolate primarily? What an amazing idea.

Do you remember what it was called?

no, a chocolate shop that serves coffee

it is called Bittersweet - on college (the oakland side, not berkeley side) near rockridge bart - i stop by whenever i visit!

they had some specialty chocolates from around the world and baked goods, coffees....

chocolate is the new wine - in terms of people getting very into the specific regions, types etc...
Old 04-18-2007, 01:19 AM   #15

Our local natural foods store has a good selection of chocolate that we've been sampling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Mmmmmm, Dark Chocolate!
The Endangered Species bars are really good too. There have various animals on the package.
Picked up 2 bars of Endangered Species Supreme Dark today and it's very good. 72% cocoa.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:30 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Baker's
Since 1780
100% cacao

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unsweetenedchocolate.jpg (6.8 KB, 20 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Unsweetenedchocolate.jpg_thumb (19.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

At the "normal" grocery store I get Ghirardeli and -specially- Lindt 70%. Usually I wait for a sale.
Trader Joes also has good chocolate.

Pure cocoa (ie the powder) is one of the best thing you can put into your body
(look the vitamin kind of compounds compared to other food).

PS Some Ghirardeli at the cooking section are good enough to eat as is.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #18

My favorite chocolate for eating and baking

I don't even have a close second.

http://www.scharffenberger.com/
Old 04-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #19

Do you guys eat the 100% pure stuff straight? I haven't tried that yet, but I'd expect it to be too bitter.

I just googled this review of Hershey's Cacao Reserve:

taste test

Hmm, I might try the bar with nibs.

I've tried the Endangered Species, Chocolove, and Scharffenberger before. Good, but I'm sticking with the Droste and Valor. Try them if you haven't. Droste is smooth with no aftertaste, and the Valor has kind of an interesting smokey flavor.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Do you guys eat the 100% pure stuff straight? I haven't tried that yet, but I'd expect it to be too bitter.
I do; and I love it. However, I am told that there genetically determined bitter tasters and non-bitter tasters. I am a non-I enjoy all sorts of bitter things without any sweetener.

Doesn't cost much to find out if it works for you. After about a year of buying a lot of this stuff at my small local grocery the checker looked at me and said, "You're just eating this and not baking at all aren't you?" Her look was as if I had been buying a lot of glue, and she finally figured out that I was a sniffer and not a model airplane builder.

Ha