Christian’s, Atheists, and Morals?

sgeeeee said:
Survival of the species requires that we learn to live together. Living together requires that we develop a certain level of respect and support for each other. Isn't that the basis of most moral beliefs? Get your morals from Allah, get them from Christ, get them from bokanan, or get them from logic. The common thread is that we need to respect and support each other if we are to thrive. :)

I few final notes:

It seems that we are comparing two extremes here; most comments were made about ultra right “fundamentalists” or “born-again” Christians who preach hell fire and all that.
I also feel these types of people go too far and give Christianity a bad name.

As for Muslims, I have worked in Muslim countries for the past few years, they are strong believers in their faith yet most cannot read Arabic or are illiterate and thus have to hear their religion from “religious leaders” this leaves them very open for corruption which is what is happening with the 1000 or so insurgents I have personally spoken with. The same could be said of ultra right Christians who believe someone elses extreme intepretation of the bible.

Many people thought this thread was somehow an attack on atheists or saying that atheists are not trustworthy or moral? Not true, I was just curious as to what guideline you use to base your ethics on. Many people sited far left or far right ideals yet it seems most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

I think sgeeeee gave the final word and that’s all that needs to be said, thanks sgeeeee.

Ranger

PsyopRanger said:
It seems that we are comparing two extremes here; most comments were made about ultra right “fundamentalists” or “born-again” Christians who preach hell fire and all that.
I also feel these types of people go too far and give Christianity a bad name.

I mentioned this in another thread, read Bruce Bawer's "Stealing Jesus." He distinguishes between what he believes to be true Christianity and describes as the church of love and fundamentalism that he describes as the church of law. Excellent book for those of us who are not well versed in US religious history.

PsyopRanger said:
Many people thought this thread was somehow an attack on atheists or saying that atheists are not trustworthy or moral?  Not true, I was just curious as to what guideline you use to base your ethics on.  Many people sited far left or far right ideals yet it seems most of us fall somewhere in the middle. 

I didn't think you were attacking atheists, but I think it's hard for many people with "faith/religion" to understand those without (and vice versa). If you (general - not personal) base the majority of your opinions / morals on your beliefs and you believe that those religious principles are the bedrock of your morality/humanity, it can be difficult to imagine another way of being.

Peace.  :)

a theist is someone who believes in the likes of a god or the gods. an atheist is not necessarily someone who does not consider empirical physicality to be the only reality. atheism simply denies god & gods.

so if morals are derived nonphysically, then there is no presumption that a christian can claim morality over an atheist. and if morality derives physically, then, as sgeeeee property enlightens, it presupposes religiosity.

"our life is always deeper than we know, is always more divine than it seems, and hence we are able to survive degradations and despairs which otherwise must engulf us." ~~ william james 1842-1910

Laurence said:
I see you working, brother! But your total lack of malice makes it hard to actually push my button. ;)

Laurence, I'm glad you forgave me before I even got started! :)

Hm... you leave a thread for a while, and everything's already been thoroughly discussed by the time you get back....

Back
Top Bottom