Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess for me it was getting a "Creepy Crawler" set. It had several molds and I made all sorts of rubber things with it.
Creepy Crawlers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
A brown-haired, brown-eyed Ginny doll that my mother special ordered for me dressed in a cowgirl outfit.
I also had a Ginny Doll but mine was dressed in ice skating attire . I also had a Bonnie Braids doll that came with a little toothbrush .
Attached Images
File Type: png doll.png (93.3 KB, 153 views)
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #43

--Lionel train set

--Erector set

--a stereo portable radio, way before boom-boxes were the fad.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
That tabletop hockey was also one of my favs, but am surprized about all the mentions of an electric football game if it was the same game that I had. Mine vibrated to move the players and many of them just went in circles; very disappointing.
+1 . Once we played that football game a handful of times, we just got bored with it. But I do recall how excited I was when I opened up as a xmas gift!
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Johnny West action figures... "the best in the west"!

They are one of the few things I kept thinking my kids would love them. Somehow they just didn't appreciate them like I did.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Every Xmas my Nana would buy me an "activity box" that she could order from the Sears catalog. It was a box full of crossword puzzles, paint by numbers, coloring puzzles, other little games, etc, etc. It was a pretty big box that kept me entertained for months. I looked forward to it every year.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
--Lionel train set

--Erector set

--a stereo portable radio, way before boom-boxes were the fad.
Some good memories have been mentioned--takes me back. Think I could have use for that 'Erector set' now!!
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I grew up in pretty tough economic circumstances. As a kid, I actually appreciated getting socks, underwear and maybe a shirt or pair of jeans for Christmas.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
That tabletop hockey was also one of my favs, but am surprized about all the mentions of an electric football game if it was the same game that I had. Mine vibrated to move the players and many of them just went in circles; very disappointing.
Didn't all of y'all electric football players ever discover that you could go under the players and bend the little plastic tabs into different configurations to change the directions they would run? I'm not saying you could control it well or make them go really straight, but you could definitely influence their movements. Of course, after a while the tabs would break off and they'd just sit there and jiggle. But it was fun.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:53 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Betsy Wetsy Doll. I still have her. She has a wig now and a different dress. Too many mud puddle "baths" I guess.
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

My lionel train set that my dad bought me when I was 1 or 2. Here it is in 1957 with me and my grandfather, and another photo from today. It still runs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lionel1957.jpg (619.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Lionel.jpg (388.2 KB, 18 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My lionel train set that my dad bought me when I was 1 or 2. Here it is in 1957 with me and my grandfather, and another photo from today. It still runs.

Wow, what a great toy and great memories. Are you still that cute?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Ha! Yes a great toy and memories. But somehow the cuteness wore off.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #54
gone traveling

Tabletop hockey. Canadiens vs. Maple Leafs. Hours and hours.
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I asked DH what his best Christmas gift was. He said a one speed bicycle. It was used ($15.00) and he had to pay for half of it. I'm sure it was a struggle for his preacher dad to come up with his $7.50.
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #56
Dryer sheet wannabe

I loved receiving a Vacuum Form. You could heat little sheets of plastic and create little plastic forms of whatever you placed on the surface of the machine. Once the plastic was soft and gooey, you quickly slung it on top of the item and pumped an air handle, which cooled the plastic. It was not perfect, and I ruined numerous matchbox cars trying to create plastic replicas, but when it worked, it was great. (Smelled terrible during use)
Bluwtrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nope. You could shoot your eye out!
I got a CO2 powered bb pistol for Christmas about age 9. Didn't shoot my eye out, but I'll carry a bb in my leg for the remainder of my life. Pockets do NOT make good holsters, in case you ever wondered.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Johnny Reb cannons. Made for great bedroom wars with my brother. Also a lot of red welts!
twolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

My closest cousin was one of 4 boys. He said their main activity was trying to kill each other.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolfy View Post
Johnny Reb cannons. Made for great bedroom wars with my brother. Also a lot of red welts!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My sisters and I had mercury too, and Dad added a kit that used molten lead to make fishing sinkers and toys with. Neat stuff!

Then I got a pump rifle that shot round corks about 5/16" in diameter. My younger sisters hated that gun as I used them for target practice.

Anybody know the maker of that cork rifle?
I had a Daisy pump air gun that shot corks. One day a future gunsmith kid gave me a replacement screw in end for the barrel that shot real BB's. It was all down hill from there.