Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
....I just want a quality pair of $25 scissors that I can use cut out any shape I want.
My gal cuts my hair and trims or fixes the hair and the haircuts of a half dozen others. Maybe a dozen years ago I asked a local barber who sharpened his scissors and he gave me the address of someone in Idaho. I mailed her hair cutting scissors there and they came back wonderful - and they weren't anything special as shears. Fast forward 6 years and I bought her a new higher quality hair cutting set for about $40-$50.

Those didn't pass muster and now serve to trim my mustache.

I'd say 40% of the experience is based on the sharpening, 50% on the handle style if the user is a lefty, and 10% on the brand.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Merry Xmas - Watch It grow
Old 11-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Merry Xmas - Watch It grow

You'll want to get one of these. Unless you already have one.

Or perhaps some sunglasses for the little lady of the house

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #23

We don't exchange gifts at Christmas or birthdays or even on anniversaries.

However, when we are in the situation of giving a gift we choose to find an appropriate service rather than giving anyone more stuff. ie. when a friend has a baby don't buy an outfit we give the mother a gift certificate for a massage. I have been trying to encourage my sister's family to think along the line of services rather than accumulating more stuff to clutter up their house but not with much success.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #24

I agree with the Fiskars scissors. I have several pair and like them very much. It would be good to keep a pair just for fabrics and another pair for paper and whatever else you want to cut.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

For in-flight sleeping in a way that the Terrorist thinks you're watching them:

Blindfold.JPG

Official Ellen Blindfolds Are Available for Purchase! - The Ellen DeGeneres Show
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

For the techogeeks on your list: ThinkGeek :: Wi-fi Detector Cap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bd12_wifi_detector_cap.jpg (14.2 KB, 88 views)
Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Onion keeper/saver such as theseAmazon.com: Hutzler Onion Saver Container: Kitchen & Dining

Product Description

Contains onion odors while keeping cut onions fresh and moist. Made to look just like an onion, this will never be lost and forgotten in the fridge. Made of plastic, the 2 sides attach by twist lock. Airtight and dishwasher safe. This item comes in a variety of color combinations and is packaged randomly. If you want a certain color please specify when ordering.

I got this last year and it is great.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Htown Harry, the sharpener I use is black plastic with two grades (coarse and fine) of diamond dust coating on either side. Mine is "Buck" brand, but I have seen an identical artical for sale unbranded or with other brands. Works really well, so you could shave with most of my kitchen knives.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Thanks Nords, that's perfect. A simple, quality product made by a 350-year-old company.
"Orange Fiskars scissors are design classics that have been popular for more than four decades."
I may ask for two pair: a pair of the long, heavy general purpose scissors and a set of tailor's scissors with the handle bent a bit so that the material can stay close to the table.
HH,

Just a "heads up" on new Fiskars scissors.... I've had a few "oop-sies" with super-sharp new Fiskars. They were so sharp that as I was cutting off a garment's price tag, the tips also snipped a piece of the garment -- something that I wasn't planning on cutting -- that a duller pair of scissors would've just sort of pushed out of the way.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #30

I almost forgot to mention fruitcake. I'm aware that some people have decided they don't care for it, but perhaps they've forgotten how good liquor-infused cake from a monastery can be. My fruitcake mentor is Isabelle, who reviews cakes at Mondo Fruitcake. I tried the Assumption Abbey fruitcake (wine and rum) last Christmas, and last summer I ordered several cakes from Our Lady of Guadalupe Trappist Abbey and from Gethsemani Farms (Kentucky bourbon), the last being Isabelle's favorite and mine. (The Gethsemani monastery is where Thomas Merton, the famous Christian apologist monk, lived and worked.)
Old 12-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Very rarely, and then I prefer staples or fabric glue to that invention they call thread.

This project was bigger than usual, making several cheap santa suits for an upcoming party. I used red thrift store clothes for the base, but used cut-to-size vinyl and thick fleece from the fabric store for the boots and white trim. It was tough going with dull scissors that didn't fit my hands well.

Thinking about it, I use crappy gummint-issue scissors at work, too. It's been a long time since I've used a nice pair of shears.
If you know anyone who has hand problems (carpal tunnel, arthritis, tendinitis), consider a personal favorite of mine. I own 2 pairs of the original model - 1995 vintage and still nice and sharp.
Nobody else likes them . They truly are a "hand-saver" for me, a leftie with permanent carpal tunnel/tendinitis issues.
Easy Action Scissors (8") / Ease-of-Use / Products - Buy Online (Price $23.93) | Fiskars