Join Early Retirement Today

Chrysler checks used vehicle performance
Old 10-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Chrysler checks used vehicle performance

The top 250 executives at Chrysler are test driving 3-year-old vehicles to check reliability and the consumer experience at the request of Chrysler Group President and Chief Executive Tom LaSorda.

"In our positions we're pretty fortunate that we typically get to drive new cars," said Steve Walukas, vice president of corporate quality. "I know in my own situation, my friends, neighbors and relatives say, 'You wouldn't know what it's like to drive a car with a lot of miles on it.' This is a true way to understand."

The program for executives at DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group began in August and will run for two more months, Walukas said. The executives will evaluate each test-drive with a report on first impressions and another report on how things went during the 10-day trial, the newspaper said.

Chrysler says it has about 30 million vehicles in the U.S. and the average age is six to eight years old.

So why are these executives test driving 3 year old vehicles instead of 6-8 year old vehicles? What, they might break down and be late for work?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Chrysler checks used vehicle performance
Old 10-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Probably because the older the vehicle they drive the more its condition has more to do with how it was used/maintained, where it was used, etc. than with the manufacturing process.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So, do they get 3-yr-old Mercedes or 3-yr-old Wranglers?!

=happy to drive my 8.5-yr-old Toyota
Old 10-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
So why are these executives test driving 3 year old vehicles instead of 6-8 year old vehicles? What, they might break down and be late for work?
Seriously, we're talking about chryslers here. How many actually make it 6-8 years?
Old 10-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Warning!! Hijack:
After selling my domestic SUV I pledge to never buy another one again. Why? It's not the maintenance issues but rather the lack of resale value. My vehicle cost 45k brand new. I bought it two years old (used)for 30k. When I sell it on Monday for $16,200 I will have to bring a $400 check to clear the title. So this 3 year old vehicle "lost" almost $29,000 or 64% from the time it was new. My other car which is an import lost 38% over 4 years.
They need to look at that resale values as well.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
My vehicle cost 45k brand new. I bought it two years old (used)for 30k.
You really don't know how much the original owners paid for the car when new. Some cars sell closer to retail than others. Some sell at giant discounts. If you look at the cars with good resale vaule, those are the same ones that sell new at or above retail (sticker price).
Old 10-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think the poor reliabilty of most American cars as they age is the main reason their resale value is low.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I have 4 yr old Camrys. We still think of them as 'new.' No trouble at all. I had an '87 Camry than I drove regularly for 13 years, and sporadically for a couple of more years. I'm sure there are many here with much longer experiences.

I'd like to buy a car made by an American manufacturer but I'd feel like I was wasting money and time (for maintenance).
Old 10-14-2006, 06:32 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Kids,

Among the missing for awhile. Semi ER'd. actually mostly ER'd two weeks ago, long story.
Also I had to reload in under new name. Apears some changes have taken place. ER is more work than work...

Just put $4k into my 1996 Lexus LS400 with 175k miles. Rides as good as new. $2800 parts,$900 labor tax and tip for best mechanic I've ever worked with. Go foreign treat em right and your gonna be happy.

All the best,

Wally
Old 10-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Great sell your chrysler stock, they wont have many executives at work as they are stuck on the road.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Seriously, we're talking about chryslers here. How many actually make it 6-8 years?
I would agree with you except we kept our '91 Dodge Caravan until Spring 2006... but then it was becoming a virtual parts monster by then... and oh yeah, it had about 10 recalls between '91 and '96. I agree they should have given the execs 6-8 yr old vehicles.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:03 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Good luck to those execs............should be an eye opener...........

On a more serious note, my 2004 T&C goes into the shop tomorrow for the FOURTH time for problems with the front end:

17000 miles: half the front end replaced (tie rod ends, etc.

31000 miles: strange noise in steering, installed shim kit

36000 miles: replaced fron struts and tie rod ends again......... :P

40000 miles: replaced entire rack and pinion system............

Still clunking............. :P

Probably my last Chrysler or domestic car ........unless I can get lemon law and make Chrysler buy me a new vehicle..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Probably my last Chrysler or domestic car ........unless I can get lemon law and make Chrysler buy me a new vehicle..............
Did you personally fail on your up front analysis of determining a reliable car to buy? Or is your particular car an outlyer and we should expect better results from that model in general?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:03 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Did you personally fail on your up front analysis of determining a reliable car to buy? Or is your particular car an outlyer and we should expect better results from that model in general?
Well, they were selling them off at the beginning of 2004, as "everyone" wanted the stow and go seating. I got $7000 off after negotiating, and the car has done reasonably well in the consumer ratings. I guess I got a "lemon"............maybe it was made at 10 to 5 on a Friday............

Old 10-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygador69
Hi Kids,

Among the missing for awhile. Semi ER'd. actually mostly ER'd two weeks ago, long story.
Also I had to reload in under new name. Apears some changes have taken place. ER is more work than work...

Just put $4k into my 1996 Lexus LS400 with 175k miles. Rides as good as new. $2800 parts,$900 labor tax and tip for best mechanic I've ever worked with. Go foreign treat em right and your gonna be happy.

All the best,

Wally
Shouldn't a Lexus NOT NEED $4000 put into it, even at that mileage? I never put that kind of money in any Toyota product...........

Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

getting a thousand or 2 off sticker is puny compared to the lower resale value you get on many models. To add insult to injury most people who hondle a great buy price on a big looser then turn the car back to the dealer at the wholsale price to boot when they trade it in for another big looser..

Old 10-16-2006, 06:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Shouldn't a Lexus NOT NEED $4000 put into it, even at that mileage? I never put that kind of money in any Toyota product...........
When (if) I buy my next Miata (okay, so it's not a Lexus)
I don't expect to pay much more than $4,000 for the whole car.

JG
Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Good luck to those execs............should be an eye opener...........

On a more serious note, my 2004 T&C goes into the shop tomorrow for the FOURTH time for problems with the front end:

17000 miles: half the front end replaced (tie rod ends, etc.

31000 miles: strange noise in steering, installed shim kit

36000 miles: replaced fron struts and tie rod ends again......... :P

40000 miles: replaced entire rack and pinion system............

Still clunking............. :P

I buy mostly on "the deal" which doesn't always work too well as
sometimes I get a great deal and after a few months I don't like the
vehicle. Anyway, I have little or no brand loyalty but over the
past 10 years have owned mostly Chrysler products (Jeeps and
Dodge pick-ups). I thought they were very good on maintenance.

Right now I am driving an Olds Bravada SUV. It's nice, but I am
already thinking about my next car.

JG
Old 10-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
getting a thousand or 2 off sticker is puny compared to the lower resale value you get on many models. To add insult to injury most people who hondle a great buy price on a big looser then turn the car back to the dealer at the wholsale price to boot when they trade it in for another big looser..

I know from previous posts that you are a lease buyer. Most of the people on this board are not for many reasons. If your buying a used car a low resale is a good thing and if your running it into the ground resale is then a non issue.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
Well, I got $9700 off sticker but I see your point........... My plan was NOT to trade it in but to run the wheels off. The resale is not good on my vehicle because of the close-out rebate.

I typically buy 2-3 year old used cars for cash, but with the stupid money Chrysler was throwing at me, I decided to go new, and keep it 10 years...........

Don't know if I made a good or bad decision yet...........I guess time will tell. I am very happy with the used Accord I bought.........