Citation for failure to wear the seat belt

I got pulled over on I45 close to downtown Houston last week and was given a citation for not wearing my seat belt.

What are my options? Anyone has experience with this before? Especially in Houston.

Thanks.

Even as a somewhat-libertarian I'm pretty much OK with seatbealt laws as long as the fine/sanction is reasonable.

I'm not so sure about helmet laws - it's a different thing from seatbelts if you ask me. (why don't we require auto drivers to wear helmets? They'd be safer, no? - but that'll never happen!)

I'm curious, how much was the ticket?

Seems to me many governmental fines & fees (esp. traffic) have really gotten out of hand and oppressive (& I've not had any kind of ticket since I can't remember when). $200 fines for minor over-the-speed limit violations are out-of-line IMO.

I think an adult seatbelt violation should be about $25 - that's enough for the State to get the point across to the driver without trying to make a big "profit" out of it - maybe a severe $200 if it's a kid unbuckled/no car seat.

driving in convertibles for so many years, i've been wearing a seat belt since before it was mandatory. plus, with my drinking and driving, you can't be too safe.

Sam, why is it that you don't wear it? Do you never wear it?

I simply forgot to that day.

What bothers me is not the ticket, but the enforcement (as opposed to encouragement) of the stupid law. But judging from most the responses here, I guess people like to be told how to live their live.

Thanks all for your inputs.

You've been nailed by the revenue generation team. I personally feel naked without a seatbelt and I can't imagine NOT wearing one, but I resent the nanny state making it illegal for revenue generation purposes.

"Click it or ticket?" Screw that.

I guess people like to be told how to live their live.

As I said, I'm happy to let anyone do whatever they want as long as it doesn't affect me. If you could ensure a fatality in a motorcycle accident by not wearing a helmet, then I'd be all for not forcing anyone to wear one... it's the ones that turn themselves into vegetables that I'm not a fan of.

The rise of click it or ticket is interesting... I remember how it started that they would give you a warning if they pulled you over for another infraction and saw you weren't wearing one. Then they could cite you for it but they still couldn't pull you over for it. Now they can pull you over for it. It's a real-time reminder of how easy it is to give up a little freedom here and there over time.

Forgetting to buckle your seatbelt.

Isn't that like forgetting to put on your pants?

What bothers me is not the ticket, but the enforcement (as opposed to encouragement) of the stupid law. But judging from most the responses here, I guess people like to be told how to live their live.

You could start an anti-seat belt movement to repeal the law, I guess.

There is a valid argument that failure to wear a seat belt does affect other people. Their car and medical insurance rates are higher and there is the lost productivity at work, which affects their employer and the people who have to pick up the injured person's slack.

When Maryland initially enacted seatbelt laws, the citizens were "promised" by politicians that it will "never be a primary offense". Meaning you could not be pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt. Some years ago under whatever guise it was modified to be a primary traffic offense. So they lied. Shocking! Politicians, I mean lawmakers lie? Who would have thunk it. It is too good of a money maker.

As for not wearing seat belt and stayin alive a personal saga: while in the Army driving an M151 jeep, late at night, with only blackout lights on a dirt road during FTX (field training exercise for non-Army) encountered a deuce and half oncoming. Ditto on the lighting, I swerved hit embankment landed upside down. The truck did not stop, just drove on. Recall laying across passenger seat mid flight.

Upon landing after a few moments to regain normal breathing, crawled out from under jeep. The damage, scraped toe of my spit- shined jump boots.
Walked a 1/2 mile to an artillery unit, woke up CO, asked to get a tank retriever, they did not have tow trucks, which he gladly authorized. Wanted to know who the driver was, I just pointed to my chest. The retriever crane picked up jeep, flipped it right side up,the crew hammered out bent tie rod. Bent broken windshield onto hood, I was back on the road.

No, I do not advocate against seat belts, in fact I wear it, helmet too on Honda.

Pay the ticket.

Accept the responsibility that comes with the privilege.

Buckle up and drive safely.

Help keep my insurance premiums down.

Driving is a privilege and not a right. Be cool and follow the rules. O0

Besides, if you're not wearing a seatbelt you might be thrown from the car during an accident and cause another car to crash trying to avoid hitting your body.

Besides, let's face it. Most men who refuse to wear seatbelts are old, old, OLD - - older than Methuselah. :eek:

You don't want the girls to think your just some wizened, gray-haired wrinkled old fogie with half his teeth, now do you? Attractive, sexy men (like Frank :cool: ) wear their seatbelts and don't whine about it.

Consider wearing a seatbelt as part of your grooming ritual and at least a small effort to present yourself positively to the opposite sex. :rolleyes:

I have now seen the light. In the future, when riding a motorcycle, i will make a point of buckling up. Can't be too safe.

Besides, let's face it. Most men who refuse to wear seatbelts are old, old, OLD - - older than Methuselah. :eek:

You don't want the girls to think your just some wizened, gray-haired wrinkled old fogie with half his teeth, now do you? Attractive, sexy men (like Frank :cool: ) wear their seatbelts and don't whine about it.

In the senior citizens' world, if the man can walk under his own power, he is snagged by the canes of randy old women.
rolleyes.gif

There is a valid argument that failure to wear a seat belt does affect other people. Their car and medical insurance rates are higher and there is the lost productivity at work, which affects their employer and the people who have to pick up the injured person's slack.

Over eating, smoking, drinking, pool playing, golf, flying, football, baseball, rock climbing, sky diving, driving to work, ..... this list could go on forever! People get hurt doing things. So should we outlaw them?

I strongly believe the function of government in a free society should be to educate not legislate to the max extent possible. I have heard that in some European countries the wearing of a seat belt is not mandatory, however, your insurance company does not have to pay off your expenses if you don't, and insurance is mandatory. Seat belt use is close to 100%.

By the way, I always wear a seat belt.

I have now seen the light. In the future, when riding a motorcycle, i will make a point of buckling up. Can't be too safe.

Make sure you start wearing your helmet when driving your car too. If everyone would do that it would reduce head injuries in vehicle accidents (which by the way are far more numerous than mc accidents) & save us all money on our insurance premiums.

What I want to know is when the legislature is going to get off their *** with this helmet legislation & save us all from ourselves!

Back
Top Bottom