Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Maybe it was a lady cop?

It could have been. ....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Just pay it, I don't think there is much of a defense. It depends on the state but usually it is not a moving violation so there will be no points on your license and I don't think it will affect your insurance.
Gworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many years ago a woman (who I worked with prior to retiring) and her husband were hit by a driver you crossed into oncoming traffic and the collision put them sliding down the highway on their roof-top. They were driving a Subaru Brat with a sun-roof. They were extracted from their vehicle still hanging from their seatbelts. If it were not for the seatbelts, they would have had their heads scraping asphalt.

While I do not like laws to protect people against themselves (such as seatbelts and helmets), it is insane not to use devices that can save servere injury or death.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #24

I fully support your decision to end your life by whatever means you feel best. However, the cops disagree with me. And, frankly, if you were to do a poor job of it and force my health insurance costs to go up, then I'd be unhappy with you too. So, click it or ticket.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #25

I've written a stack of motor vehicle accident reports several inches thick. It got to the point that I could look at the wrecked car(s) and the people who were inside them and tell with almost certainty who was and who wasn't wearing a seat belt based on their injuries and/or lack of them.

Look elsewhere for sympathy.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Is anyone able to suggest any reason for not using a seat belt that makes sense?
Or for not wearing a helmet when on a moving motorcycle (or similar device).
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I got pulled over on I45 close to downtown Houston last week and was given a citation for not wearing my seat belt.

What are my options? Anyone has experience with this before? Especially in Houston.

Thanks.
Even as a somewhat-libertarian I'm pretty much OK with seatbealt laws as long as the fine/sanction is reasonable.

I'm not so sure about helmet laws - it's a different thing from seatbelts if you ask me. (why don't we require auto drivers to wear helmets? They'd be safer, no? - but that'll never happen!)

I'm curious, how much was the ticket?

Seems to me many governmental fines & fees (esp. traffic) have really gotten out of hand and oppressive (& I've not had any kind of ticket since I can't remember when). $200 fines for minor over-the-speed limit violations are out-of-line IMO.

I think an adult seatbelt violation should be about $25 - that's enough for the State to get the point across to the driver without trying to make a big "profit" out of it - maybe a severe $200 if it's a kid unbuckled/no car seat.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #28

driving in convertibles for so many years, i've been wearing a seat belt since before it was mandatory. plus, with my drinking and driving, you can't be too safe.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Sam, why is it that you don't wear it? Do you never wear it?
I simply forgot to that day.

What bothers me is not the ticket, but the enforcement (as opposed to encouragement) of the stupid law. But judging from most the responses here, I guess people like to be told how to live their live.

Thanks all for your inputs.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

You've been nailed by the revenue generation team. I personally feel naked without a seatbelt and I can't imagine NOT wearing one, but I resent the nanny state making it illegal for revenue generation purposes.

"Click it or ticket?" Screw that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But judging from most the responses here, I guess people like to be told how to live their live.

Darwin Award Candidate
Darwin Awards: History and Rules

Here is a compadre of yours
2005 Darwin Award: The Nuisance of Seatbelts
Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #32

Quote:
I guess people like to be told how to live their live.

As I said, I'm happy to let anyone do whatever they want as long as it doesn't affect me. If you could ensure a fatality in a motorcycle accident by not wearing a helmet, then I'd be all for not forcing anyone to wear one... it's the ones that turn themselves into vegetables that I'm not a fan of.

The rise of click it or ticket is interesting... I remember how it started that they would give you a warning if they pulled you over for another infraction and saw you weren't wearing one. Then they could cite you for it but they still couldn't pull you over for it. Now they can pull you over for it. It's a real-time reminder of how easy it is to give up a little freedom here and there over time.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Because it may save your life?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Because it may save your life?

Remembered seeing this on the news. Here's the article:

7online.com: Man gets seatbelt ticket, survives crash 5/27/08

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Forgetting to buckle your seatbelt.

Isn't that like forgetting to put on your pants?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Forgetting to buckle your seatbelt.

Isn't that like forgetting to put on your pants?
Like this guy? Naked pilot, flight attendant face fines over romp in PA woods
Old 06-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

What bothers me is not the ticket, but the enforcement (as opposed to encouragement) of the stupid law. But judging from most the responses here, I guess people like to be told how to live their live.

You could start an anti-seat belt movement to repeal the law, I guess.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #37

Quote:

There is a valid argument that failure to wear a seat belt does affect other people. Their car and medical insurance rates are higher and there is the lost productivity at work, which affects their employer and the people who have to pick up the injured person's slack.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

When Maryland initially enacted seatbelt laws, the citizens were "promised" by politicians that it will "never be a primary offense". Meaning you could not be pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt. Some years ago under whatever guise it was modified to be a primary traffic offense. So they lied. Shocking! Politicians, I mean lawmakers lie? Who would have thunk it. It is too good of a money maker.

As for not wearing seat belt and stayin alive a personal saga: while in the Army driving an M151 jeep, late at night, with only blackout lights on a dirt road during FTX (field training exercise for non-Army) encountered a deuce and half oncoming. Ditto on the lighting, I swerved hit embankment landed upside down. The truck did not stop, just drove on. Recall laying across passenger seat mid flight.

Upon landing after a few moments to regain normal breathing, crawled out from under jeep. The damage, scraped toe of my spit- shined jump boots.
Walked a 1/2 mile to an artillery unit, woke up CO, asked to get a tank retriever, they did not have tow trucks, which he gladly authorized. Wanted to know who the driver was, I just pointed to my chest. The retriever crane picked up jeep, flipped it right side up,the crew hammered out bent tie rod. Bent broken windshield onto hood, I was back on the road.

No, I do not advocate against seat belts, in fact I wear it, helmet too on Honda.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Or for not wearing a helmet when on a moving motorcycle (or similar device).
I always wear a helmet while riding my Harley. If they made helmets for butts, I'd have one of those too.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I always wear a helmet while riding my Harley. If they made helmets for butts, I'd have one of those too.
You think you could get him to wear it?