Join Early Retirement Today

Citibank Tellers No Longer Accepting Cash Payments
Old 05-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Citibank Tellers No Longer Accepting Cash Payments

I have a credit card with Citibank I rarely use (it's my back-up card), so it doesn't affect me much. I got a letter the other day from Citibank telling me that starting in July their bank tellers won't be accepting cash payments any more. Doesn't that seem rather odd, a bank policy directing their tellers not to accept CASH any more for payments?

You can still make cash payments through one of their ATMs, of course. And they will still accept checks. My local branch used to have one of those Payment Express boxes you could use to make payments and deposits. I recall seeing those back in the 1980s and they were pretty handy when there were lines at the tellers. I would never deposit cash that way, just checks.

I switched to another CC a few years ago which offered cash back, opting out of the stupid and worthless "points" program with my Citibank CC. I have one small automatic, annual charge I decided to keep with Citibank because it will keep the card open. My local branch is walking distance, so I make one trip per year there now to pay it. It was as small as $10 which I usually paid in cash but now it is $22, still small enough to pay with cash but I won't be able to do that any more when I get my next bill about a year from now.

Does anyone have any idea why Citibank would stop accepting cash payments to their tellers? I mean, they are a bank, isn't handling cash part of the job description?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is it legal to refuse cash as payment?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #3

It's part of their employee healthcare initiative.

Do you have any idea what sorts of germs and things are on paper money?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It's a risk having employees handle cash. Despite them all passing background checks sometime money walks away.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post
Yes. Only the Federal government has to accept cash.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I've dealt with Citi before and with great pain. The name, by the way, is pronounced with a "shh" for the C.

Keep waiting for the Costco/Citi card to blow up or give me plastic herpes or drain all our bank accounts.

They are a Citi bank
Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

They probably would take Amazon gift cards instead of cash (I'm just being sarcastic, of course ).
Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Just curious....... I've never considered driving to the bank and paying my CC bill in cash. I always pay on line. Second choice would be to mail a paper check. What would be the advantage of traveling to the brick and mortar bank building and paying the CC bill with cash?
Old 05-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #9

I Googled.
https://truththeory.com/2016/11/25/w...iple-branches/

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #10
Administrator

Sounds like a way to reduce the number of branch offices and tellers. Lots of retail transactions are cash related that could be automated, but the customers are reluctant to do so.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I haven't set foot in a bank in years. Everything is through Billpay, cell phone deposits or ATM's. So seeing stuff like this doesn't surprise me. Just one more nail in the coffin of retail banking.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Sounds like a way to reduce the number of branch offices and tellers. Lots of retail transactions are cash related that could be automated, but the customers are reluctant to do so.
Do you really think the number of cash transactions to pay CC bills or mortgages (the two types of transactions Citi is no longer accepting cash for) is large enough to lead to reducing staff? I can't find any data, but it seems like it would be rare for someone to show up at the bank with a handful of cash to pay the CC bill or mortgage.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Do you really think the number of cash transactions to pay CC bills or mortgages (the two types of transactions Citi is no longer accepting cash for) is large enough to lead to reducing staff? I can't find any data, but it seems like it would be rare for someone to show up at the bank with a handful of cash to pay the CC bill or mortgage.
There is a part of society that lives on cash. I have employees that do not have checking accounts. Everything they do is cash. So it bet there are more cash transactions than you think.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
There is a part of society that lives on cash. I have employees that do not have checking accounts. Everything they do is cash. So it bet there are more cash transactions than you think.
I don't think so. Remember, we're not talking about general cash transactions at the teller window. We're talking about going into the bank and paying your credit card bill in cash. It would seem strange for someone who uses a CC to regularly make a trip to the bank with cash to pay the CC bill.

I think the "part of society that lives on cash" is also predominantly a group that doesn't use CC's.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

I think the "part of society that lives on cash" is also predominantly a group that doesn't use CC's.
Or banks. Many of them, and the businesses they work for, use check cashing services instead of banks.

An extended family member of mine who worked as a teller said there were a high number of low value cash transactions by seniors who preferred to stop by the branch and cash a check rather than use the ATM.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Or banks. Many of them, and the businesses they work for, use check cashing services instead of banks.

An extended family member of mine who worked as a teller said there were a high number of low value cash transactions by seniors who preferred to stop by the branch and cash a check rather than use the ATM.
That makes sense and I agree. What I'm questioning is the frequency of folks regularly paying their CC bill at the bank with cash. (That's the subject here, right?) That would seem to be very unusual. I'm not questioning the fact that some members of society live life on a cash basis. Citibank is still allowing cash transactions (cashing checks, depositing cash to checking, etc.). They are, as OP stated, just eliminating accepting cash to pay CC bills. I think those specific transactions are rare so this is a moot or at least no-big-deal issue.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #17
gone traveling

Well, just go in & deposit the cash in an account with a debit card attached & then give them your debit card to pay the credit card bill based on the cash you just deposited.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #18

A refusal to accept reasonable cash in payment of a debt, public or private as is printed on Federal Reserve notes, is evidence the debt has been satisfied. https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...?f=23&t=625014
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #19

Perhaps a "trial balloon" to see if moving cashless at Citi would be tolerated in the US?
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Yes. Only the Federal government has to accept cash.
Not always true, in Massachusetts all retail establishments must accept cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Section 10A: Discrimination against cash buyers

Section 10A. No retail establishment offering goods and services for sale shall discriminate against a cash buyer by requiring the use of credit by a buyer in order to purchase such goods and services. All such retail establishments must accept legal tender when offered as payment by the buyer.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote