Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #21

I'll be completely honest with you Orchidflower--I would never consider Illinois to be "the North" and can't imagine referring to anyone from there as Northern. Even Ohio, which surely must have emptied out years ago with the exodus to the South, isn't really North to us.
I'm okay with being from the South, and think there is nothing wrong with your cousins reporting that is their heritage.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Here's an sort of interesting story (it was in the Travel section) about Missouri's Civil War battlefields: Missouri's bloody Civil War battles - chicagotribune.com

Quote:
More than 1,000 battles took place in Missouri, making it the third-most fought-over state of the war, after Virginia and Tennessee. In 1861 alone, the war's first year, 42% of all battles were on Missouri soil.... Boonville, about midway between Kansas City and St. Louis, is where the Civil War's first significant land battle took place, on June 17, 1861, more than a month before Bull Run (also known as First Manassas) in Virginia.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I'll be completely honest with you Orchidflower--I would never consider Illinois to be "the North" and can't imagine referring to anyone from there as Northern. Even Ohio, which surely must have emptied out years ago with the exodus to the South, isn't really North to us.
I'm okay with being from the South, and think there is nothing wrong with your cousins reporting that is their heritage.

Well, I think Springfield, Illinois, was the big recruitment center for the Yankees. And Rock Island, Illinois, is where the main prison for the Confederates was, so Illinois is definitely Yankee northern territory, Sarah. My guess is you think North is NE (as in NY, Connecticut, Maine, etc.).

I love the South and many of the customs. My Mother was a Southerner thru and thru.
I do not love the way Southerners hate people from the North/Yankees today...and there are still plenty of prejudiced Southerners out there in 2011. If you don't believe me, please let me introduce you to my mother's family.

One of my friends is a Dixon from the famous Mason-Dixon line, by the way. A Delaware resident to this day, by the way.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #24

Mason and Dixon were English surveyors who came over here to do land surveying. I don't think they knew at the time that their names would be associated with the North/South thing.
Interesting that it is self-proclaimed Northerners/Yankees who persist in this name calling business. It seems improvident to make claims like "the way Southerners hate people". Doesn't sound like me, and I'm a Southerner. Maybe it is just your family that is rude, but mine isn't. I would no sooner suggest a whole cohort of people "hate" than fly to the moon.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Shucks, I'm from Wisconsin, I guess we are really one of those "Northerners". However, I have family in Mississippi, so there you go, have Yankee, half Rebel!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mason and Dixon were English surveyors who came over here to do land surveying. I don't think they knew at the time that their names would be associated with the North/South thing.
Interesting that it is self-proclaimed Northerners/Yankees who persist in this name calling business. It seems improvident to make claims like "the way Southerners hate people". Doesn't sound like me, and I'm a Southerner. Maybe it is just your family that is rude, but mine isn't. I would no sooner suggest a whole cohort of people "hate" than fly to the moon.
My aunt grew up in Michigan but has lived in Greenwille SC for 37 years. She has a different spin, she says that most "folks from the South" think that Yankees look down on them. Maybe it was that way many years ago, but not today. I have NEVER seen a Confederate flag flying in anyone's yard in Wisconsin, I lived here nearly all my life, and have the state from top to bottom.........

Old 04-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Hoosier by birth, Texan for employment. Both like and dislike both places. Consider myself an "American" first and foremost.

From my experience, having lived in Indiana, Georgia, and Texas, there are lots of closet bigots, and quite a few blatant ones as well, out there, but I would say that ignorance knows no boundaries...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Orchid, sometimes I listen to the people in DH's hometown (not in the South by any means) sit around and talk about who other people's grandparents and greatgrandparents were (and what houses they lived in!) and how people are related to each other. Anyone whose family didn't settle there more than a century ago or live on the right street is pretty much either a newcomer or a nobody. They don't hate those people, they just don't care about them. A lot of people in the South have families that go back much further than the Civil War so it's understandable to me that some southerners (like your relatives) are like that. I would wager that people from old New England families are the same way.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #29

Yes, Sarah, I know that Mason and Dixon were surveyors. Just always thought it was amazing that the family still lives in Delaware is all.

Sarah, you are from the South. You have no idea how Southerners treat Yankees unless you know some Yankees and could talk with them. No need to get so defensive.
I KNOW my experience is not unique at all as the really sweet older man who owns that company that fixed my insulation told me he lived in Charlotte, NC, for 10 years and experienced some real prejudice because he's a Yankee. It does exist whether you want to acknowledge it or not. It is just not my mother's family by a long shot.
I have stated on this Board that I experienced some real outspoken prejudice against Yankees many more times than once in Houston. It is what it is.

On the other hand, I've seen my mother and other friends from the South experience some snide remarks from Northerners behind their backs even today. Goes both ways.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It would appear that 150 years after the first shot was fired, another skirmish has broken out.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #31

And which one of us has gotten their hackles up?

I will change my verbage to some Southerners hate Yankees, which actually is more appropriate verbage, anyway. Some surely don't or didn't appear to at all.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #32

Yeah, that's the problem...I don't know any Yankees to ask how they've been (mis)treated..what with living in this antebellum bubble down heah in Chas'tun in my hoop skirt and bustle...

Old 04-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think most Yankees would realize they'd been insulted if they even were--the sweetness of the gracious Southern speech would make an insult almost unrecognizable, Shugah*.

*I'm going to call everyone Shugah today in Sarah and the South's honor.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #34
gone traveling

Sounds like the title of the thread is still going on today...
Old 04-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, that's the problem...I don't know any Yankees to ask how they've been (mis)treated..what with living in this antebellum bubble down heah in Chas'tun in my hoop skirt and bustle...
Y'all shor are a persnickety bunch, aincha? Don let dem Yanks fool ya, de wish de had weather like we does. Just tak der money, say good mornin, tip yer cap, and wish dem well. Member, not all da folks in da US can be from da South...........

Old 04-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Sounds like the title of the thread is still going on today...
Let's seddle it down by da see-ment pond!!!!

Sweet potato pie and collared greens anyone?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

"American by Birth, Southern by the grace of GOD" is still common bumper sticker here.

I too am a life long Southerner and definitely do not not like somethings about the Souths history but I also would never move any father North than TN. I have actually turned down better paying jobs in the North during my career as its just to cold up there and my blood is way to thin!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Orchid, sometimes I listen to the people in DH's hometown (not in the South by any means) sit around and talk about who other people's grandparents and greatgrandparents were (and what houses they lived in!) and how people are related to each other. Anyone whose family didn't settle there more than a century ago or live on the right street is pretty much either a newcomer or a nobody. They don't hate those people, they just don't care about them. A lot of people in the South have families that go back much further than the Civil War so it's understandable to me that some southerners (like your relatives) are like that. I would wager that people from old New England families are the same way.
I agree.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Let's seddle it down by da see-ment pond!!!!

Sweet potato pie and collared greens anyone?
In the South, we have collard greens. Collared green must be a Yankee dish...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
In the South, we have collard greens. Collared green must be a Yankee dish...
Sorry..............gotta spend some more time in Mississippi........