Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #41
gone traveling

Speaking of food, I do (did) love Southern Pecan Pie. I say "did" since I'm a T2 diabetic and it's now on my never-never list.

At least I can still have my Scrapple: Pork Mush...The Pennsylvania Treat
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH was born in Virginia and we have both lived here most of our lives. There are so many reminders of the civil war here. We've found artifacts like buttons from uniforms from digging in the yard. This anniversary reminds me of the tragedy that happened on the ground beneath my feet so many years ago.

Oh, and we do love our collard greens and grits.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Sarah, you are from the South. You have no idea how Southerners treat Yankees unless you know some Yankees and could talk with them. No need to get so defensive.
Interesting. On one hand you're essentially bashing an entire region and its culture, and then you tell someone not to get defensive when they don't care for the stereotype?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let me repeat: I was born and raised in the South until I was 4 years old. My Mother was raised in the South ALL her life. I have plenty of relatives and friends in the South. And I lived in the South a total of 26 years of my life so far.

Maybe I should get upset since my mother's family was called "rude" in a previous post? Well, I won't because it is the way the poster saw it at that time. And I don't internalize other's opinions so much that I allow outsiders to upset me. I try to remain chill. And opinions change often with time for everyone because they might see the situation different at a different time.

As for me, I am not wasting my time today on this subject anymore.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #45

My great great grandfather & one of his brothers were captured and spent time at Camp Delaware until the end of the war when they were released in a prisoner exchange with the north. I'm proud to be able to say my ancestors were Confederate soldiers who fought for what they believed in. I don't have much patience for those who talk down the south because of their participation in the Civil War. There was a whole lot more on the table besides the issue of slavery.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Speaking of food, I do (did) love Southern Pecan Pie. I say "did" since I'm a T2 diabetic and it's now on my never-never list.

Yeah, me too. Thanks for reminding me how much I'll miss pecan pie. Dammit.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post

I think you have hit upon a common denominator...something that unites North, South, East and West in felicitous agreement: Regional recipes involving pig parts used in various delectable ways.
My father loved scrapple, head cheese, pickled pig's feet, sausages of all kinds. If we had spit-roasted pig on the Christmas holiday, the head would be firmly in front of him and declared (by him) to be the choicest part (much to the horror of my sister and myself). His parents were German immigrants so it is no wonder. Gout was his affliction, though, not diabetes, so organ meats were eventually verboten.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm going to call everyone Shugah today in Sarah and the South's honor.
Fine wit' me, dahlin!

(I think the above line by Bestwifeever is the only one out of this thread that I will remember in five minutes - - hysterical! )

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #49

After all that money spent and lives lost, 150 years later and I still can't get a good Hushpuppy up here in Yankeeland.
However, I did have a good one when I was in Calabash a couple of weeks ago.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Free--the oil must be hot hot hot! They should be lowered quickly into the grease and then drained immediately on paper towels (or even better, newspaper).
I have a wonderfully stained copy of Fearless Frying by the benevolent king of Charleston cookbooks, "Hoppin John" Taylor. His Lowcountry Cooking is another excellent one to learn more about foodways of the South.

Ah, yes, pork, the unifying force for good in the world! But you can forget feeding me scrapple after reading the Florence King anthology that described it in utterly gross detail!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Certainly, the origin of scrapple is that of a poor man's food, made from the part of the pig that comes over the fence last...

But it could be made with "better" cuts of meat. Gourmet scrapple, anyone?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I think you have hit upon a common denominator...something that unites North, South, East and West in felicitous agreement: Regional recipes involving pig parts used in various delectable ways.
My father loved scrapple, head cheese, pickled pig's feet, sausages of all kinds. If we had spit-roasted pig on the Christmas holiday, the head would be firmly in front of him and declared (by him) to be the choicest part (much to the horror of my sister and myself). His parents were German immigrants so it is no wonder. Gout was his affliction, though, not diabetes, so organ meats were eventually verboten.
I also grew up eating all these things. As kids we would get a dime if our piece of head cheese contained the bullet. And in those days, dimes were silver.

Ha
Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Uh, hold the head cheese and pass the grits
Old 04-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Uh, hold the head cheese and pass the grits
Ewww. Head cheese? Grits? As long as we're making a list of sort of blah foods, don't forget poi....

Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Ewww. Head cheese? Grits? As long as we're making a list of sort of blah foods, don't forget poi....
Yeah, but head cheese is made from pig brains and other icky body parts - major yuck. Grits are made from corn and poi from the taro plant.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

I've never actually eaten head cheese, but it doesn't sound appealing. To me poi and grits both seem really bland. Grits are better with butter, and poi with fruit, but plain? both are pretty blah (to me).

None of the three are anything I would seek out. They just don't compare with chocolate cake, pizza, or lasagna.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #57
gone traveling

Quote:
They just don't compare with chocolate cake, pizza, or lasagna.
Past your lips - straight to your hips ...

Nope; they are not on my list of allowable foods and have not been for over 10 years. I would kill for pizza, but unfortunately it has too high a carb count for me to consider (so says my glucose meter) ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
When I was a toddler of 1-1/2 until age 4 I was raised in the South where I was told by a cousin over and over that I was from The South. It impressed me that this is considered important.
Then my mother married a Yankee from Iowa and we moved up north to Illinois, and I became a Yankee.

My point is: During my entire life in Illinois I never once--not once--heard any parent emphasize to their child that they were from The North. In fact, I was raised in the city where the Yankees had their most important outpost/prison during the war, but this was never brought up even in high school. I had to learn it by reading, of all things, Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind! They keep a Civil War cemetary there until today at the Arsenal in that town, and it's kept up quite beautifully but no real festivals center around it ever that I'm aware of.
Rock Island Prison in the Civil War

The South is still to this day fighting the Civil War and still--if I can go by my cousins in The South who, by the way, are college and high school teachers--teach it to their own children that they are from The South. I, personally, wish they would stop it.
+1 good post
Born in NY... I travel south of the Mason Dixon line often, and it appears some people still see the need to fight the war.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Grits are better with butter, and poi with fruit, but plain? both are pretty blah (to me)
You'd like grits the way I fix 'em Shugah
Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

If you're a subsistence farmer, as many were just a generation of two ago, you'd eat every part of the pig but the oink, as the saying goes. Either that or go hungry...

And the way to eat grits is to cook your eggs over easy/medium, then mash the eggs in with the grits. Add lots of salt and black pepper, and voila!

Or Vi-O-la, as we say down south...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote