Civil War/War between the States.

I remember read Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane for a book report when I was in 3rd grade. My teacher thought it was too intense for someone my age. I have to admit it was pretty influential for me. Well worth reading.

I also enjoy the Harry Turtledove alternate reality novels. We'd probably have won if Lee had had those AK-47s. :LOL:

Almost forgot a great one. Jeff Shaara's The Killer Angels.

Two books you might find interesting:

"The man Without a Country" by Edward Everett Hale
This was written during the war, was very influential then in building popular support in the north for the war effort, and today remains an important part of American classic literature.

"Texas" by James Michener.
A history of the state of Texas, in which the war between the states figures prominently.

Good father/son trilogy of historical fiction...

Michael Shaara - Gods and Generals
Jeff Shaara - Killer Angels
Michael Shaara - Last Full Measure of Devotion

Very entertating series that really informs about the war in the East.

I just finished White Doves at Morning by James Lee Burke. "In lyrical and evocative prose, Burke depicts both the boredom and horror of army life and the injustices visited upon blacks and poor whites by the "haves" in Southern society." This book is called a departure from his normal mysteries. (Of which I am not familiar.) Really enjoyed this book.

I also found Cold Mountain to be a great read. As is nearly always the case I think the book far exceeds the movie.

t.r.

If anyone wants a great, great book about Lincoln's assassination, I had the high school coach recommend this to me when I was there: The Day Lincoln was Shot by James Bishop. Worth your time.

Back
Top Bottom