Join Early Retirement Today

classic car insurance
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

classic car insurance

Just wondering if anybody out here has auto insurance on classic cars. If you do I was hoping you would share the company name. Thanks
stargazer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use Hagerty. They do require that you have a 'normal' car for everyday use, and that your classic is kept in a locked garage.

Unfortunately I had to claim when one of my cars was damaged beyond economic repair. They settled at the agreed value quickly and without any hassle.

Highly recommended.

Peter
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks! These two cars are very pampered, kept under lock and key and driven only when the sun shines.
stargazer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have used JC Taylor classic insurance for over 20 years for my 59 Studebaker Hawk. I have never filed a claim but have no complaints with them.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I also use Hagerty on my classic. I've never had a claim, but have heard good things from friends that have. It's a great way to save some money on old cars driven mainly for pleasure, shows, events, etc. If you live in a state that allows you to register as an antique you can cut costs more. My plates (registration) cost $50 for 5 years.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in Canada, so maybe it doesn't apply but ING has something called a "silver wheels" program. I pay about $130 per year full appraised replacement coverage. It's a bit more if you have heavily modified the drivetrain. You need to provide a certified appraisal every 3 yrs (If I remember right). You can only use the car for shows, cruising, or transport to and from the car wash or places that perform work on the car. So if you get in an accident with the back seat full of groceries you'll have some explaining to do. The car must be over 25 yrs old, and no drivers under 25 yrs old are allowed to drive it.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I also use Hagerty for my 73 SS chevelle. No problems but also no claims.
Ins. companies are always better at receiving than giving.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hagerty ......
Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Hagerty ......

Hagerty for me too, I have had as many three cars insured there down to 2 now, never had any claims but I am satisfied with the rates and the customer service has always been top notch.
xtradoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

JC Taylor for me for 30+ years, currently have 3 cars on their policy. I have heard good things about Hagerty also.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have American Hobbyist. I also got quotes from Haggerty and Grundy. They were all very reasonable....can't remember why I chose AH.

whoops....just noticed American Hobbyist is the AGENCY. The insurance company is American Reliable Insurance (aka Assurant Specialty Property)
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Have sunny day policy thru State Farm on 2 of my classics. Allows 2500 miles per year. $95 for each.
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Hagerty for me too. if you have a "project" or not clearly classsic collectable be sure to submit best possible photos when they ask. I have one low mileage mid 80's vette and it needed special acceptance. Also an older project car wasnt deemed collectible by them.
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote