Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

nice monte
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Up until 2009 my daily driver was my 1985 Chevy Caprice Classic. Traded it in. But I still have my 1988 Firebird GTA which I picked up in 2000 for $2,500. I estimate I've only spent about $1,000 on it in all this time.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat58 View Post
This one I didn't restore, just wrote a check for. Bought in 2010 as a 20th anniversary gift for my wife (if you can read the vanity plate). 1969 Mercedes 280SL. Really fun car to drive, has been all over New England including a Ferry ride to Martha's Vineyard for a weekend.

Oh I love this. Before the purchase of my new-to-me E class, I test drove a mid 70s SL. Loved it but hubs would rather work on his British oil leaker than a German vacuum leak queen.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Capwest28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Vacuum leaks suck
Sorry couldn't help it

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

This gem left our possession this July.
67 Firebird convertible 400 manual transmission. All original unrestored with 57,000 miles. My husband was the 2nd owner and had original bill of sale, original spare tire and other documentation that came with the car. We owned it for 20 years or so. It was a sad day when it left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bye-bye Firebird 007.jpg (488.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg bye-bye Firebird 018.jpg (675.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg bye-bye Firebird 019.jpg (605.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer08 View Post
This gem left our possession this July.
67 Firebird convertible 400 manual transmission. All original unrestored with 57,000 miles. My husband was the 2nd owner and had original bill of sale, original spare tire and other documentation that came with the car. We owned it for 20 years or so. It was a sad day when it left.
Did it go to Washington? Saw its twin if it didn't...
Old 09-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #47

The first car I owned was a 1948 Cadillac Fleetwood model 75 in the attached picture. I bought it in 1965 for $300 and soon realized that I do not have the talent or interest that it takes to restore something like that so I sold it in 1970 for $1000. It might actually be considered a classic today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48 caddy sharpened.jpg (563.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Keim it stayed local (southern Illinois).

I still can't believe my husband sold it. He had been talking about it for a few years. Didn't even have it listed anywhere.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

GTOs are one of my favorites, is that a ram air 3 or 4 car ?
OneDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDay View Post
Anyone working on or own any classic cars, muscle cars, etc. I plan on spending a good deal of my free time working on them once I'm fire.
One other comment. A key word in the OP is "spending". You can certainly "spend" a lot of time working on classic cars but you'll likely be "spending" a lot of money too "depending" on the car(s) and particularly on the levels of restorations/customizations. It's been a hobby for me but I'd estimate just in the last five years, I've spent a lot more in real dollars than I could get back today based on "current" estimated resale values. (difference is probably between 150 and 200k). That's not counting or putting a value on my time/labor.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
One other comment. A key word in the OP is "spending". You can certainly "spend" a lot of time working on classic cars but you'll likely be "spending" a lot of money too "depending" on the car(s) and particularly on the levels of restorations/customizations. It's been a hobby for me but I'd estimate just in the last five years, I've spent a lot more in real dollars than I could get back today based on "current" estimated resale values. (difference is probably between 150 and 200k). That's not counting or putting a value on my time/labor.
Especially true if you buy a bad car to restore and don't know what you are looking at. Had a friend that thought he was getting a great deal on a 67 Mustang that supposedly had a new 351 Windsor engine. Turned out the chassis and pan were badly rusted out and the lower side panels were filled with bondo. Motor was only a rebuilt 351 and it had a racing auto transmission unbeknownst to him. He spent $4500 and would probably need to spend $20-30K to make it into a street car. Now he is trying to sell it as is, but I suspect it can only be sold as a parts car, and its doubtful he will get his investment back.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

anyone know how to troubleshoot convertible tops?
Old 09-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDay View Post
GTOs are one of my favorites, is that a ram air 3 or 4 car ?
I assume you may be referencing my 68 GTO I put picture up a couple pages back? Not a RA car, has the 400/350 hp base GTO engine. Still a strong engine, but not the RA which had different cam and heads with slightly bigger ports. My car has the Turbo 400 auto with the Hurst dual gate shifter in the console. Black interior that looks a lot like the interior pics stargazer posted, with a black vinyl top. Mine has P/S, P/B, A/C, and the hideaway headlights.

I've owned the GTO for 36.5 years now, with no intention to sell it anytime soon. My father actually bought the car new, and I got it when I was 16. Rebuilt the engine and repainted it when 16, it was a real nice car. It has followed me around the country in my various moves, but looking a big ragged now with the original vinyl top finally giving up with rips and tears, and the lacquer paint is all checked. Still runs and drives great though.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
anyone know how to troubleshoot convertible tops?
What's the problem? What is make and model?
Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

95 pontiac firehawk

went to take the top down this morning and about halfway through it made a nasty POP...kept going and it made another POP and then it wouldn't go down all the way, maybe 5" off where it should sit - it was fairly cold this morning, 45F, so I wonder if something got stuck - I tried taking it up and down 5 times did the same thing every time so I drove another car to work
Old 09-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
95 pontiac firehawk

went to take the top down this morning and about halfway through it made a nasty POP...kept going and it made another POP and then it wouldn't go down all the way, maybe 5" off where it should sit - it was fairly cold this morning, 45F, so I wonder if something got stuck - I tried taking it up and down 5 times did the same thing every time so I drove another car to work
I don't know anything about rag tops. But, I do know that 45 degrees shouldn't be cold enough to have any adverse effects.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I know zilch about convertible tops, but the pops may have been worn gears skipping teeth.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

How about this?

And this?

cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I know zilch about convertible tops, but the pops may have been worn gears skipping teeth.
there were two stabilizer bars that were bent. I'm going to have to get some fabbed since they no longer make that part.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #60
gone traveling

Not a GTO fan, but always loved this color on goats and 442s:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GTO Picture.jpg (155.9 KB, 7 views)
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote