"Clay" for your car finish?

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been reading about it. Apparently,it REALLY gets the dirt out of your paint so the color can shine.......

Has anybody tried it?

I have been reading about it. Apparently,it REALLY gets the dirt out of your paint so the color can shine.......

Has anybody tried it?

The various Bimmer groups swear by it - the clay picks up the dirt and is discarded after use. Haven't used it, but have felt the surface of a car being clayed - the portion done had much less drag, was smoother.

Yup, the one time I had my Bimmer detailed they used clay on it -- the result was really an unbelievably shiny, slick paint surface. The depth of the color was just beautiful. The detailers told me, however, that if you use too much pressure when applying the clay, you can damage the paint surface. (With that, I decided against trying this at home.)

I've even read on the Corvette forum that they swear by the clay method. They even have specific brands that they go by. I personally haven't used it although last time I was in the US. I picked up a brand by Mother's and will try it out in the next week or so.

I did it back when I had a new 2000 Miata that was brown in color. I had waxed and polished cars for about 50 years at that point and had NEVER used or heard about CLAY. I was very careful as I did read that not doing it correctly may damage the finish beyond repair. When I actually did do it it was easier than I thought it would be. After doing it you should then wax or polish the car to protect and preserve the finish. Took all day with the little Miata. Results, not that impressive to me, but that may have been because the car was almost new and the finish was very good before I did it. I probably wasted my time on a new car and would never do it again to a newer vehicle. Probably well worth the effort if the finish is a bit old and/or faded, but, as already mentioned, be careful not to damage the finish.

I used the claybar that came with the Zaino I bought for the DW's Impy SS. After washing the car with Dawn to remove all of the old wax/residue, we clay-barred it and the result was very smooth/clean paint. Definitely follow up with some type of protectant. I thought the Zaino was outstanding. It's a pain to apply at first, but looks great and upkeep is easier.

Has anybody tried it?

I did it to an old car.... it was surprising how well it looked after.... it takes a bit of work, but it is well worth it... you car is SMOOTH...

Back
Top Bottom