Join Early Retirement Today

Cleaning glass bottles
Old 08-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Cleaning glass bottles

Tore down an old barn on the property and found a cache of old glass bottles. There where several capped one gallon jugs that local legend says once contained homemade spirits. I thought I'd clean up a few of the bottles to see what they would look like.

Found what worked best was making a slurry of 3/4 cup rice, water and a drop of liquid soap, swished around in the bottle. It worked great!

This of course doesn't sterilize the bottle but does get it sparkling clean with little effort.
Now on to sterilizing the bottles.

bottles.jpg

We'll have apples, plums and rose hips maturing in a few months. We'll do gallons and gallons of apple juice. Most will go into plastic one gallon jugs and then into the freezer. Hard cider, apple jack, apple wine and plum wine we'll put up in the glass bottles.

We'll do a few gallons of rose hip wine, also in the glass bottles, for medicinal purposes.

zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 04:10 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Those are real beauties! Nice work, keeping them out of the landfill.

brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just be extra sure the bottles are clean of any solvents or residual matter. There are some bottle and carboy cleaners like Easy Clean that remove them after a good soak. I have seen many home winemakers ruin a delicate batch of a fruit wine or rose because gramps put some cleaner in years ago.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Just be extra sure the bottles are clean of any solvents or residual matter. There are some bottle and carboy cleaners like Easy Clean that remove them after a good soak. I have seen many home winemakers ruin a delicate batch of a fruit wine or rose because gramps put some cleaner in years ago.

+1 I am not familiar with Easy Clean, but the cleaner I always used when brewing beer was TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) and can be found at most hardware stores.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

A question to the beer and/or wine makers out there; what method and/or products do you use to sanitize or sterilize your bottles. Would a product like Easy Clean or TSP be sufficient?
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #6

I've used this for years. Works great. Very popular with homebrewers.

image0031.jpg
Old 08-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
A question to the beer and/or wine makers out there; what method and/or products do you use to sanitize or sterilize your bottles. Would a product like Easy Clean or TSP be sufficient?
Those are cleaners, not sanitize/sterilizers.

Get them clean first, TSP is good. Once clean, I prefer Star-San as a sanitizer. It is a strong acid, but not really dangerous once diluted for use. A minute of contact time, then just drain it - no need to rinse. The pH is diluted by the wort/beer/must/wine you add, and Star-San has no flavor or odor. But the container must be clean first - or the 'gunk' neutralizes the acid. Super simple to use, I mix a half gallon at a time, and keep a spray bottle handy to spritz stuff as I go along. Mix it with RO or distilled water and it should be good for ~ 3 weeks. The unmixed stuff has a very long shelf life, I don't think they even date it.

Beer and Wine Equipment Sanitizer - Northern Brewer

Heat works, but is tricky/dangerous for jugs that size.

edit - cross-posted with braumeister!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

When I brewed beer I used the product linked below attached to a utility sink faucet in the basement. Incredibly effective.

https://www.amazon.com/Faucet-Carboy.../dp/B0055RSPKK
jriemerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
gone traveling

Mix TSP and some oxiclean (sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate) and you'll have a great bottle cleaner - same stuff that's in a lot of the commercial cleaners.

Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote