Join Early Retirement Today

Cleaning out the closet: business v leisure
Old 11-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Cleaning out the closet: business v leisure

Ok guys--

I'm in a cleaning out and paring down mode. I started with my university office and my need to throw is now centered on the closet. For more than 30 years I've worn suits and neckties. I probably have 15-20 suits and sport coats, 30 or 40 dress shirts, 50 ties (some REALLY ugly) and 20 or so pairs of dress shoes.

I'm going out in August or nest December. I plan to keep a navy blazer, gray slacks, dress khakis, a summer khaki suit, a navy 3 season suit, a couple of pair of shoes, a couple of dress shirts and maybe 5 ties that aren't ugly. I don't intend to ever really dress up again, but there are uncertainties in life that may necessitate it.

My plan is for golf shirts, a couple of pairs of khakis, a couple of sweaters, 4 or 5 sweatshirts, 4 or 5 pairs of shorts, a couple of pairs of jeans, loafers, tennis shoes, running shoes, and 2 pair of deck shoes--and when I'm forced, socks.

I really want to cut my clothing budget to the bare minimum and I want to be comfortsable and DW wants me presentable.--at least some of the time.

How have the other members of the forum coped with changes in wardrobe as a result of ER? Is this a good plan?

education is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Cleaning out the closet: business v leisure
Old 11-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
How have the other members of the forum coped with changes in wardrobe as a result of ER?* Is this a good plan?
I've had 2 clothing bonfires. One when I first moved from the east coast. The second when I realized that I was likely never going back to work. Just arrange clothing, add diesel or kerosene (gasoline definitely not recommended), and torch from a distance. More fun than St. V. de P.

I should have kept a suit for funerals and weddings. That would be my suggestion; and protect it from moths. Maybe if you live in the east 2 suits- one for cold season, one for warm(hot).

Ha
Old 11-05-2005, 09:07 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

University professor and you have that many suits? *My colleagues and I wear mostly Hawaiian shirts and jeans to teach. * *We'll wear the same clothes in ER, so no change in wardrobe. *

You need one (just 1) navy blazer for non-funeral functions and a dark suit for weddings and funerals. *Maybe 5 dress shirts as well.

BTW, I haven't bought more than 15 pairs of shoes since I graduated more than 20 years ago. *Are your feet still growing? Is that why you have 20 or so pairs of dress shoes?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Pants? Come on Professor, you're gonna be RETIRED! You don't need no stinkin' pants...

Old 11-05-2005, 09:31 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The problem with men's suits it that they last longer than the shape of the occupant or the cut of the collar.* In my part of the world, unless you are a part of the wedding/funeral party, a navy blazer will do the job just fine.* If the event is more formal then rent.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL--

Yeah, 15!!!! But remember I was an east coast superintendent of schools so dressing professionally was an expectation of the board and the community. I felt very uncomfortable when I wore anything but suits and ties when I became a professor. So my uniform has always been a suit for the past 23 years.

Shoes--I like different styles and I tend to keep them forever.

HaHa--

I like the idea of a bonfire--maybe I'll scatter the ashes in the ocean!!!!!!!!!!!!
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:07 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Professor, check out some charities, I found a place to take all my suits when I quit the corporate job for the jeans and sweats job I have now. They use them for women in shelters trying to break in to the job market but don't have the "required wardrobe".

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:28 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The thought of wearing suits again sends shivers up my spine. :P I hate the feeling of "constriction" when wearing suits and pantyhose. I gave all of my old Ann Taylor (from my old real estate finance days) stuff to charity. Now I have few Banana Republic items that I mix and match for job interviewing these days.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
I probably have 15-20 suits and sport coats, 30 or 40 dress shirts, 50 ties (some REALLY ugly) and 20 or so pairs of dress shoes.*
That's the makings of an awesome Goodwill donation (& tax deduction). You could probably donate the ugly ties to your department for some sort of competition or award.

Buy a good pair of walking sneakers. I go through a pair every year or two.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 10:34 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
That's the makings of an awesome Goodwill donation (& tax deduction).* You could probably donate the ugly ties to your department for some sort of competition or award.
Heheheh, when I was in (Catholic) HS, one of my theology teachers had "tie torture" as one possible penalty for failing to bring your bible to class. He had a collection of really horrible ties and he would let your classmates choose which one you had to wear for the rest of the day.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:21 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You could probably donate the ugly ties to your department for some sort of competition or award....
Reminds me of one of the few good memories of my working days. On a whim (probably a day or two after confirming record profits), the company president sent word on the QT to all the male employees in the corporate office that the following Tuesday would be "Ugly Tie Day". The guy wearing the ugliest tie would win fame (but no fortune), to be decided by a vote of all corporate female employees. And there was to be absolutely no communication in advance to the ladies of the competition, just show up and see what happened.

It was kinda fun, even though I didn't win.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Although I haven't worn a tie regularly for decades, I have a few cool ones that are tucked away. DW will make them into a quilt one day. Quilts are our museums of personal histories.

Gypsy