Cleaning Stove Burners

runnerr

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone have any tips on how to get baked on residue of a gas burner:confused::(

Step one: Put on your outfit:

Attachments

• HazmatSuitImage.jpg
    HazmatSuitImage.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 76
No, but you might want to Google around and see what you get. Is it the type of burner that is easily removed from the stove (so you could soak it), or is it affixed to the feed pipe?

Ideas:
- Soak over night in nasty chemicals. Start with dish soap and work up. If you aren't worried about the finish, try oven cleaner. Or carburetor cleaner.
- If it can be removed, maybe put it in the oven and turn on the self-cleaning feature.
- The most fun--DIY abrasive blasting using baking soda. Requires nothing expensive as long as you've got an air compressor.

6.JPG

8.JPG

You might want to ask the manufacturer........there could be model-specific
recommendations.

I occasionally choose one burner when cleaning, and take a lot of time getting the burned-on stuff off. I'm speaking of the enameled area around the burner itself.

What I do is use the tip of a steak knife to scratch it off. Choose a spot, spray with cleaner, and keep the knife at a low angle to prevent scratches.

I also use steel wool or a copper scrubber thing.

I use vinegar and baking soda. It is amazing what that will get off with a good soak. If the parts come off, pouring boiling water to cover with a good slosh of baking soda will soak most junk off with a light scrubbing later - or a crock pot soak.

Using more baking soda as a light scour works pretty well. Or if all else fails, I get out the Barkeeper's Friend powder. No knives needed and no scratching.

I use vinegar and baking soda. It is amazing what that will get off with a good soak. If the parts come off, pouring boiling water to cover with a good slosh of baking soda will soak most junk off with a light scrubbing later - or a crock pot soak.

Using more baking soda as a light scour works pretty well. Or if all else fails, I get out the Barkeeper's Friend powder. No knives needed and no scratching.

These are my tools of choice as well. I'm particularly fond of using Barkeeper's Friend with a nylon scrubbie pad or with one of those Magic Eraser pads.

Goo Gone did wonders on our "antique" stove from 1972. Probably with baked on gunk from 1972 as well. My wife did the work, not me, so I can't offer more specifics. I did see she put the drip pans in the sink to scrub with steel wool as well.

runnerr--do you mean the actual burner, or the drip pans underneath? I believe some people use spray-on oven cleaner, or simply purchase replacement drip pans at the dollar store. My stove has sealed ceramic burners and stuff doesn't seem to accumulate on them.

Back
Top Bottom