Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2015, 11:40 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeknit View Post
Yes! I saved all of these papers for some reason or other. Don't want personal info in the trash or recycling so have to shred a fair amount of it. And it is often boring!
I take mine camping with me, and sit around at night feeding them into the campfire. I get rid of my papers without shredding, I get to scratch my pyromania itch, and sometimes they make pretty colored flames.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 11:55 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Papers are the worst, as of course I have to read it, and then decide do I need to keep it or can I toss it. Then I end up with a stack of toss papers.
Just last week I thought I burned out the shredder as it stopped working, but it was only because it overheated !!
Thank goodness we have 2 shredders , oh wait I could probably get rid of one of those too

Old 03-09-2015, 12:18 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

OMG! Near the end there I spent days shredding! All those old tax forms, bank and credit card statements, canceled checks, etc. filing up the large filing cabinet, sheesh!

Yes the shredder overheated a couple of times. I had to let it rest.

One of the nice things about having e-statements now! Mostly I just shred credit card receipts now and I seem to only need to do it every couple of months.

We have much more limited filing storage now and it forces me to keep less and purge more often.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #24

We gave up shredding our own. For $5 per bankers box, we go to a local company. They let you watch them shred it. Old credit cards and the occasional staple...no problem. Time>money.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I take mine camping with me, and sit around at night feeding them into the campfire. I get rid of my papers without shredding, I get to scratch my pyromania itch, and sometimes they make pretty colored flames.

This reminds me of one of my neighbors. Several times I've seen him burning papers in his outdoor fire pit, one page at a time. The first time I saw him doing this I became a little concerned with his mental state. But all appears to be ok after seeing him do it a few more times.

I made one really big dent in my de cluttering with an auction after my husband died. Now, when I get in the mood, I do a little at a time. I've given my daughter and son in law many things over the last few years. My daughter finally caught on to my method when she started to notice clutter at her house. 😏 I'm still waiting for her to clear out some school stuff in my basement.

I remember my mother being overwhelmed with decluttering task when she was in her 70s, so I know I need to do more before I hit 70, and my energy level declines.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
An approach I read suggested treating it like an adventure--you never know what treasure you might find.
+1. Definitely part of decluttering.

During our initial big decluttering purge, there were a few times DW and I would open a box in a back closet or wherever, pull out something, chuckle, look at each other and say in unison 'I'd forgotten we even had this!' Helped spur us on to find other stuff we no longer needed to put in the sell, give away or trash pile - and act on it. And of course we found some things (fortunately fewer) that we said 'I've been wondering where this was for years!!!' - those were keepers.

I know it's hard for some people, but it was fun at times and even rewarding ($, reuse, etc.). Again, you'd be amazed at what people will pay decent even good money for on eBay and other outlets. I just mailed something to a buyer this morning that will net us $120, that we had no use for and would have been very hard to sell locally, and if we did most likely for far less (even after fees).

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I remember my mother being overwhelmed with decluttering task when she was in her 70s, so I know I need to do more before I hit 70, and my energy level declines.
I only have 3.5 more years until I'm 70, yikes! Oh well. Today is gym day; I try to keep moving so that maybe I can delay any age related loss of energy. I wish I still had the energy that I had when my avatar photo was taken, back in 1961.

Maybe later this week I'll get started on another round of decluttering, too. We definitely need to take some things to GoodWill.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
This reminds me of one of my neighbors. Several times I've seen him burning papers in his outdoor fire pit, one page at a time. The first time I saw him doing this I became a little concerned with his mental state.
I'm sure that's a common reaction to a lot of things I do.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Cool idea! Maybe I'll soak them in paraffin (from old candles) and make some great fire starters.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #30

Winter is a great time for document disposal. A good batch is used for starting fires in the stove, or just stuff them in to get a good blaze going to burn out the creosote from the chimney. Does that recycling count towards being a greenie?

In spring when I sweep the chimney only a minimal amount of creosote is left at the bottom when broushed.

Summer I take them to the mancave for starting campfires.

Tags
decluttering, stuff