Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is software which calculates the sales tax, including any locality sales taxes, for retailers based on the ship-to address. This is not a 'labor intensive' task, it is a data management task.

Amazon is not only a store front, it is a mall. I don't think they are responsible for sales tax collection on behalf of the 'mall' retailers.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
exactly. which is why we wouldn't your business.
Who are "we"? Amazon certainly won't have any qualms about shipping the item anywhere, provide it is paid for.

As I said--it's wrong. But this law is a nightmare for many people who shop online--with compliance costs that are out of sight because the States haven't put in place effective mechanisms to collect their taxes. I'm against laws and rules that penalize honest people (costing them time, money, or both) and cannot be effectively enforced (allowing dishonest people to ignore the law). This arrangement decreases respect for the law.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if Amazon's sales and stock price will be affected. Always wanted to buy it, but thought it was on the expensive side. Maybe there'll be an over reaction and I'll finally get my chance.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

Next stop: Buy a gift card and use that for payment.
Clever boy!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

This Blog echos my thinking:

Do You Cheat On Your Taxes? - The Finance Buff

Quote:
Most people donít pay the use tax as required by law. And the states know it. They canít do much about it because they donít have any records about those out-of-state purchases. And people know it. Thatís why they donít pay that tax.

So it shows if people know the authorities donít have any records, they cheat. People choose to disregard the law when thereís virtually no chance of being caught. You wonder where else people cheat on their taxes.

If most people donít want to pay the use tax, and the states are not getting much revenue from it anyway, should use tax be taken off the books? I think so. The law should reflect citizensí will, right?
"We the People"
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
This Blog echos my thinking:

Do You Cheat On Your Taxes? - The Finance Buff

"We the People"
Actually, I feel a little differently. (shhhh), but I don't pay the use tax either (OK, we can talk out loud now). It isn;t because I can 'get away with it'. There are many areas where I can 'get away with it', but I don't.

I really do generally try to dot the i's and cross the t's when I do my taxes. But I have my limits. I hit it on this use tax for two three four reasons:

1) It is cumbersome for me to figure - I may make a single Amazon purchase for three different items, one charge, three vendors, one with B&M in IL that charges tax, two that don't - it's a pain to track all that. Not un-do-able, but a pain.

2) It'll end up being a small amount, most of the big purchases are from places with B&M in IL and they collect the tax, so we are talking a bunch of small transactions - so sue me if I get caught.

3) I get tried of feeling like a chump - even though it's wrong, I know that most people don't pay it either. Yep, that's rationalizing it, but as I say, I have my limits. I'm not going through all that effort to pay them a few more bucks when I know most others don't bother, and probably cheat in other ways to boot. My time is worth something.

4) If the head of the IRS can't comply with something as obvious and large as reporting foreign income, which comes in one neat, tidy year-end statement, I think I can claim 'ignorance' on this use tax too.

They need to find efficient ways to collect tax, this is just ridiculous.

-ERD50
Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Is it reasonable to assume the seller should collect any required sales tax and forward it to the appropriate state authority?

Is it reasonable to assume that many sellers don't want to make their price look higher by showing the sales tax as a line item?

Is it reasonable to assume that if they hide the tax in the price (see above), they should be sending it to the tax office?

When I buy something at a B&M store, I don't have to think about the sales tax because the store takes care of it. When I buy something online, I should not have to worry about it either. Collecting sales taxes is simply part of the cost of doing business.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

So, a practical question: For those who don't actually track the tax due on items bought over the internet, is it better to make up some precise-looking figure and put it on the form, or is it better to leave a big zero? I gotta think any figure is likely to draw less attention than a zero--but it's easier to claim ignorance if there's a blank or a zero there. Neither entry could be substantiated in an audit. If you put a figure, at least you could claim you estimated it through some means.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Is it reasonable to assume the seller should collect any required sales tax and forward it to the appropriate state authority?

Is it reasonable to assume that many sellers don't want to make their price look higher by showing the sales tax as a line item?

Is it reasonable to assume that if they hide the tax in the price (see above), they should be sending it to the tax office?

When I buy something at a B&M store, I don't have to think about the sales tax because the store takes care of it. When I buy something online, I should not have to worry about it either. Collecting sales taxes is simply part of the cost of doing business.
Might be reasonable, but it isn't the law. Until congress changes the law the business must have a nexus with the state before it has to collect and pay taxes.

It maybe be unreasonable for small businesses. There are hundreds of sales tax variations throughout the nation.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote