Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm wondering now about how smart it was to include this line:

Quote:
This country can’t be knocked out with one punch. We get right back up again and when we do the world is going to hear the roar of our engines. Yeah, it’s halftime America. And, our second half is about to begin.
Again, I know almost nothing about sports - but in a Super Bowl, don't half of the players lose? I'm sure they both try very hard, but half are doomed to failure. It is a zero-sum game in that regard. Not a very good analogy to make to the future of the US.

A better line would have been (use a gravelly Clint voice) 'So there's just one question, do want to bet against the future of America? Well, do ya, punk!?'

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Holy crap...

Paraphrase: Times are tough, but we're tougher. We'll be great again, blah, blah, blah...

It ain't that hard...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 02-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For anyone who didn't see it, here it is:

I believe Clint when he said that no political overtones were intended. Of course some people will interpret his message politically - these kind of themes in an election year are bound to be interpreted that way.

Great ad - just the kind of pick-me-up a lot of people need.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
For anyone who didn't see it, here it is:

I believe Clint when he said that no political overtones were intended. Of course some people will interpret his message politically - these kind of themes in an election year are bound to be interpreted that way.

Great ad - just the kind of pick-me-up a lot of people need.
I don't have any problem believing him, if that is what he said (I had not heard any comment from him).

All I'm saying is, I don't think that a political interpretation (whether intended or not), is that far of a stretch, if something in it plants the seed in your head. For me, Detroit has direct political implication, due to the bailouts - so that planted a seed. And if they showed Chrysler, I didn't see it till the end.

Can you blame someone who hears "Excuse me, while I kiss this guy" versus "the sky", even though that is not what Jimi Hendrix intended (or did he ??, hmmmm.....). Maybe we can get Clint to sing "Purple Haze"

-ERD50
Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #25

Regarding his gravelly voice: I read that he used that voice when making Heartbreak Ridge because he thought it went with his character, and he seemed to reprise it in Gran Torino. I guess he thought it appropriate for thsi commercial, as well.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I just read the text.... and I think there is a bad reference... he references 'Detroit' when he was talking about the car companies....

I don't think that Detroit is getting any better.. the city is in decline and will continue to do so...

I also can see some political slant in the text.... that we are divided and will come together to defeat an outside force.... the problem I see with this is it is not outside that is the problem... but I do not want to add more in case this start to get too political....
Old 02-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
All I'm saying is, I don't think that a political interpretation (whether intended or not), is that far of a stretch,
-ERD50
I agree, it isn't. I had to work quite hard to not view it as such (election year and all that).

My childhood was full of mangled lyrics too. I thought that Steve Miller was a "midnight talker", mainly because I had no idea what toking was
Old 02-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Here's the text (last paragraph is a comment from the site)
Some have noticed that the voiceover never mentions Chrysler. This may have been a condition imposed by Clint Eastwood, who does not do advertisements....
And yet Clint Eastwood did this one. Weird.

My favorite commercial is Jake from State Farm.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #29

Try hard enough and one can find partisan politics in a bowl of Alpha-Bits.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I saw him recently in an interview and his voice was normal, so my first thought was he is just acting and this was his Walt Kowalski voice, which suits the nature of the commercial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Regarding his gravelly voice: I read that he used that voice when making Heartbreak Ridge because he thought it went with his character, and he seemed to reprise it in Gran Torino. I guess he thought it appropriate for thsi commercial, as well.
Whew, OK.

I thought the voiceover was a cross between James Earl Jones & Darth Vader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Clint Eastwood is hands down the most handsome, sexiest human being in the entire universe. Sorry, guys, nobody else even comes close. He's even more handsome when he is doing his "tough guy" persona as in this commercial.
What did I think of the commercial? After I swoon, regain my composure, and then fan myself for a while, I'll let you know watch it again.
Geez, I hate it when the hot chicks just chase the older guys...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Geez, I hate it when the hot chicks just chase the older guys...
What? You're growing younger? Hot chicks after older guys gives me hope, even if it is only a dream...
Old 02-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Clint Eastwood is hands down the most handsome, sexiest human being in the entire universe. Sorry, guys, nobody else even comes close. He's even more handsome when he is doing his "tough guy" persona as in this commercial.

In addition, I am a former federal employee and patriotic to a fault.

What did I think of the commercial? After I swoon, regain my composure, and then fan myself for a while, I'll let you know watch it again.

I think you have good taste W2R.

I liked the commercial and also like last year Emimen Chrysler commercial.
I think it is real stretch to see politics in an but in election year....
Old 02-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
....On a serious note, I was surprised by the fallout from that ad. I am not a supporter of our current President, but I did not see a political message in that commercial. To me, it was just a good advertising pitch, using patriotism and a generally revered actor to convince people to buy their product.
+1 I didn't think of it as political at all when I saw it but I can see the point.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Some people see everything through ideological beer goggles. ...
Quote:
But speaking from a purely logical viewpoint - although 'some people' can see politics in anything, that has no bearing on whether or not this advert did or did not have a political angle to it (intended or not, or just something that even non-extremists might be able to pick up on the possibility).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
My childhood was full of mangled lyrics too. I thought that Steve Miller was a "midnight talker", mainly because I had no idea what toking was

I though that was 'Midnight Stalker' - sounds scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
And yet Clint Eastwood did this one. Weird.

My favorite commercial is Jake from State Farm.
Yes, that was an odd comment from them.

I stop and watch the 'Jake' commercial every time - it still cracks me up (She sounds hideous... Well, she's a guy, so...)

-ERD50
Old 02-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You mean a bowl of cereal filled with government price controlled milk (insert partisan rant here)?

See, that wasn't so hard

-ERD50
Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for contributing!