Closing Gates in a Gated Community?

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My development has been under construction for several years and is nearing buildout. During that period, we left our entry way gate open during daylight hours, but now want to close it during the day. Its not a manned entrance, but has a call box and programmable timer. I am trying to help the HOA Manager setup the process for dealing with deliveries, school buses, etc that will need access during the day. Can anyone with experience comment on how your community handled this? I've already talked to the school system and have identified bus route times which we can program for, but USPS, UPS/FedEx, and those types of every day deliveries will need a simple but effective workaround and I have not yet spoken to any of those carriers.

Our gates have keypads outside of the gates. Ups, mail, have a gate code that they type in and the gate opens.

Our gates have keypads outside of the gates. Ups, mail, have a gate code that they type in and the gate opens.

+1. Our old development had unmanned gate but daily delivery personnel, hoa's landscapers, etc. were given a gate code. All others had to be rung in by whomever they were coming to visit.

Yes, we have a keypad/call box as well and can provide a code, but I was wondering whether these delivery companies will accept working with a code. I know sometimes when ordering things you can specify delivery instructions where a code could be provided, but was unsure whether it is possible to setup a permanent code with UPS, FedEx, and DHL. I am going to reach out to the local postmaster today, but was uncertain if they are willing to deal with a callbox that is on the other side of their trucks.

Does you system allow multiple entry combinations?

In other words, have one combination for UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc and another combination for the USPS?

Log the data into a system.

Also have a video camera recording all of this.

The 55+ communities near us are gated. The main gate is manned. The side gate is keypad.

Does you system allow multiple entry combinations?

In other words, have one combination for UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc and another combination for the USPS?

Log the data into a system.

Also have a video camera recording all of this.

The 55+ communities near us are gated. The main gate is manned. The side gate is keypad.

Individual codes can be accommodated, but there is no video monitoring. Setting up codes is not the issue, but what I am unsure about is how receptive the carriers are to implementing a code with their drivers.

Individual codes can be accommodated, but there is no video monitoring. Setting up codes is not the issue, but what I am unsure about is how receptive the carriers are to implementing a code with their drivers.

What is the point of having a gated community if you are not able to get the carriers to comply?

Not sure how big the community is but if it's big enough, and you really want the security, could you afford to man the gate "during the day" with a rent a cop? Paid for with HOA dues.

What is the point of having a gated community if you are not able to get the carriers to comply?

I do not know whether the carriers will comply or not, just trying to hear from others that have been through this. Unfortunately, the HOA Manager, is moving slowly, so I'm just trying help speed up implementation. If gates can't be closed due to non-compliance it would certainly limit the purpose of gating, at least during the day time hours. I am hoping it does not come to that.

Not sure how big the community is but if it's big enough, and you really want the security, could you afford to man the gate "during the day" with a rent a cop? Paid for with HOA dues.

Its only about 106 homes, and our fees are already high, so not likely we would implement that for two entrances.

Yellow sticky note with the code on it stuck to the side of the keypad.

never had an issue with delivery or carriers complying. There are so many gated communities around here all are used to it. Most mailboxes are inside the gates in a central area so if they don't go in they are not going to be able to deliver the mail. You also usually have to provide police/fire/ambulance with a code so they can get in without ramming the gate.

Well, your community can't afford a rent-a-cop at the gate, and people aren't going to be one bit happy with no UPS deliveries and so on.

So there are two possible solutions that I can think of.

The first is to give UPS, the USPS, Fedex, and other delivery services the gate code just like you give it to emergency services like police and fire.

The second is to put the gates on a timer so that they automatically open and stay open during the daytime, and close at night unless people have the entry code. That's what they did at the gated apartments where I used to live 2000-2002. I think they were closed from 9 PM to 6 AM only.

We have a keypad at our gate. Numbers are given out to residents and services. Also, they have a number that residents can give out, that changes monthly. This doesn't stop all crime, though it makes it a bit of a hassle to get in overnight, unless you have a number. The main benefit (besides snootiness factor) is it can stop solicitors. Occasionally the police are called, since it is enforceable if the gate is closed.

Keep in mind that gates are not only about crime. They also restrict the access of non-residential traffic, which leads to improved safety of the community residents (especially the children and seniors) and fewer solicitations.

The first is to give UPS, the USPS, Fedex, and other delivery services the gate code just like you give it to emergency services like police and fire.

Some gates have sensors that automatically open for police sand fire

I talked to the school system and USPS and have resolved dealing with those two entities. Now it just comes down to UPS/FedEx/DHL and the trash/recycling pickup. I hope the HOA Manager will follow-up with them, but unfortunately she has been clueless of how to implement, so I may need to continue to pursue. Our gates do automatically close at night and open in the morning. The residents have been concerned about some package thefts that occurred over the holidays but also in keeping solicitors and unwanted traffic out of our neighborhood.

I never thought of the bad side to the gates...

The ambulance comes up to the gate, and the driver stops, grabs the code book from the glove box and looks up the code by the address for your gate, punches it in.
All while you are bleeding out, or clutching your chest, hoping the code works, it was written down correctly, writing is legible, etc.

I never thought of the bad side to the gates...

The ambulance comes up to the gate, and the driver stops, grabs the code book from the glove box and looks up the code by the address for your gate, punches it in.
All while you are bleeding out, or clutching your chest, hoping the code works, it was written down correctly, writing is legible, etc.

And that's why they have sensors that let them in automatically

At the apartments I lived at in 2000-2002, they had a very simple default gate code for the firemen and police that was the same for all the many gated apartment complexes in the area. So, they didn't have to look up anything. I've forgotten what the code was, but it was something simple like 1111. But anyway, those gates were installed probably around 1990, and sensors make a lot more sense now than they did back then.

We joke every pizza delivery guy in the area knows a code to get in to our hood. Once in 10 years they buzzed in through the phone system to us. Also, of course, any criminal with half a brain can get in to the hood. Don't sweat it too much. It's life.

Still the gates slow them down a lot, and I wonder if all have sensors ?

Plus, you better never have a heart attack during a power failure. :(
Fire trucks could just ram the gate during a power failure, but I don't know if that is their protocol and perhaps only if they can see the flames so they know it's not a false alarm?

Keep in mind that gates are not only about crime. They also restrict the access of non-residential traffic, which leads to improved safety of the community residents (especially the children and seniors) and fewer solicitations.

I'm sure that keeping that 55+ crowd locked in there has some pretty big benefits for the surrounding community too... :)

Saw a UPS driver in the neighborhood today and asked him how they get into gated communities. He said that when people mail-order products they receive a code on the delivery ticket. I know I have seen some sites that have a field you fill out for special instructions, but am unsure if this is universal for all online retail sites (e.g. Amazon, etc).

Back
Top Bottom