Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
Any opinions on a 2005/2006 Passat wagon with AWD (not the turbo diesel one) ? VW makes me a little bit nervous about reliability, but a friend is selling one and I know he takes good care of cars.
Not with a 10 foot stick...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yes... which is why I will not buy a Volvo
Because you want to buy truly American, or the flip side, because you are worried Volvo has been infused with Fix Or Repair Daily magic? I was concerned a bit myself, but it seems that, at least model year 2005 (what I bought) Volvo was still building their models in Sweden, and were just a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford. No "let's put the Taurus transmission on all the Volvo cars to save money" stuff going on...

Old 09-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I only want cars with a Japanese brand and a VIN that starts with a "J".

Ha

Like an Acura...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
We are probably going to get rid of my 2-door car soon since we have a baby on the way. I actually feel a little bit guilty since its "only" 9 years old and has only 115k miles on it. I also rationalize a bit since my 2-door doesn't have ABS or side airbags.

Any opinions on a 2005/2006 Passat wagon with AWD (not the turbo diesel one) ? VW makes me a little bit nervous about reliability, but a friend is selling one and I know he takes good care of cars.
Don't walk, RUN...............

Old 09-04-2007, 11:30 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
Because you want to buy truly American, or the flip side, because you are worried Volvo has been infused with Fix Or Repair Daily magic? I was concerned a bit myself, but it seems that, at least model year 2005 (what I bought) Volvo was still building their models in Sweden, and were just a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford. No "let's put the Taurus transmission on all the Volvo cars to save money" stuff going on...
No, my last car is an Acura.... it is because that an old Ford I bought was so bad and they kept secret the fix to the main problem that it had... and it cost me a lot to repair....

And yes, the fix or repair is going into the Volvo... I think the 40 has the global base for many cars..

But, I don't want my money going to Ford... if Volvo become independent, then maybe I would look at it...

BTW, same goes for Mazda
Old 09-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Note that one of the things the article says is:

Clean the car carefully inside and out. This not only helps the car's appearance but can prevent premature rust. Vacuuming the inside also prevents premature carpet wear from sand and grit.

We, as a forum, came to a different conclusion in this thread:

Cleaning stuff
Old 09-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This is less important than it used to be, assuming you have a cell phone in the car.
Heh-We obviously live in very different areas. Middle of nowhere around here probably won't have cell reception!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
We had good experiences with Volvos too.
My 97 Volvo 850 (pre merger with Ford) has given us 120k miles of reliable service. DW has a 94 Volvo 940 with 130k miles which just refuses to quit. Perfect city cars, really. Good protection in accidents and low theft risk.
After owning and driving Ford, GM, Buick, Toyota, Honda, Lexis, Isuzu, Nissan, and Volvo in our extended family; it's clear that the imports hold up better over the years. If Detroit can get their act together, no reason why we wouldn't give them another shot.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:30 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I have been fine with my Chevy, and it is a 95.. the newer ones are better...

I have to say that the new SUVs are pretty good looking.. the Acadia and the Buick whatever... lots of room, decent gas mileage for an SUV etc...
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have been fine with my Chevy, and it is a 95.. the newer ones are better...

I have to say that the new SUVs are pretty good looking.. the Acadia and the Buick whatever... lots of room, decent gas mileage for an SUV etc...
Buick Enclave...best looking SUV out of Detroit in a LONG time.........I wonder if they will hold up.........

Pretty much everyone I know who drives a Trailblazer or Rainier is happy, but again, NO long term data to support reliability, and now they don't make the Rainier

Old 09-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salaryman View Post
We had good experiences with Volvos too.
My 97 Volvo 850 (pre merger with Ford) has given us 120k miles of reliable service. DW has a 94 Volvo 940 with 130k miles which just refuses to quit. Perfect city cars, really. Good protection in accidents and low theft risk.
After owning and driving Ford, GM, Buick, Toyota, Honda, Lexis, Isuzu, Nissan, and Volvo in our extended family; it's clear that the imports hold up better over the years. If Detroit can get their act together, no reason why we wouldn't give them another shot.
Ford bought Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo over the years, and here's the result:

Jaguar: Once Ford started using the SAME platform for the Lincoln LS and the Jaguar, the quality dropped a LOT. Not that the British made Jaguars were ultra reliable, but now there's a market for the "pre-Ford" Jaguars..........meaning 1989 and before.......

Land Rover: Enough said, these vehicles are not known for quality.

Volvo: My mom bought one in 96, still has it, and loves the car. It is built well, and safe. Don't know how Ford has mucked it up over the years...........

Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Just replaced my Subaru Outback (1996) which had 225,000 miles on it. I hope to keep my new car that long or longer.. My friends kept asking "are you still driving that Subaru" ? Finally reached a point where the repairs required would be greater than the value of the car.
If making the decision on financial grounds alone, surely the cost of repairs should be compared to the replacement cost of the car??
Old 09-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If making the decision on financial grounds alone, surely the cost of repairs should be compared to the replacement cost of the car??
My thought, too. My super cheap friends will go from one beater to another, that's one way to make replace vs. repair work.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #74

I love reading the comments to this article here, and then reading the comments on the same article on the car enthusiast forums.

Quite a difference as you might imagine!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
I love reading the comments to this article here, and then reading the comments on the same article on the car enthusiast forums.

NO LBYM on there......more like they buy a used Civic and put $20,000 into it..........

Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post

I LOVE cars, but I dislike wage slavery WAY MORE! It's a fine line I'm forced to walk.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie View Post
I LOVE cars, but I dislike wage slavery WAY MORE! It's a fine line I'm forced to walk.
I think the trick is to fall in love the right cars. If you like older ones, especially ones that aren't "must haves" with collectors, you can have a lot of fun on a budget. It takes some work to spend as much on a fixer-upper, even a muscle car, as MANY folks spend on a Lexus or a Range Rover. A quirky little Opel GT, MGB, or a Ford Falcon would be heaps more fun than a new car.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #78

Do real men drive something like this ?

Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
...A quirky little Opel GT, MGB, or a Ford Falcon would be heaps more fun than a new car.
Speaking of Ford Falcons, my buddy's BIL has a little red early 60's Ranchero. It's tubbed and has a blown, stroked 302 in it. Needless to say, it hauls..... and it's way bitchin', too boot.

But you're right about some of the lesser-known cars. With the more popular models becoming harder to find and in turn more expensive, guys looking to build something are looking at some of the more affordable, lesser-loved stuff.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie View Post
Speaking of Ford Falcons, my buddy's BIL has a little red early 60's Ranchero. It's tubbed and has a blown, stroked 302 in it. Needless to say, it hauls..... and it's way bitchin', too boot.

But you're right about some of the lesser-known cars. With the more popular models becoming harder to find and in turn more expensive, guys looking to build something are looking at some of the more affordable, lesser-loved stuff.
I always wanted one of those weird slant nosed Avantis.........DW thinks they're ugly,but I think they're bitchin'

Also, ANY El Camino SS, or Chevelle with a 396 or 454, preferably an SS.........