Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH's 2002 Toyota 4Runner just hit the magical 100,000 km. We bought it brand new and it will be celebrating it's 10th birthday on Aug. 1st. At this rate, it'll last another 20 years or more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4Runner Turning 100K.jpg (35.5 KB, 0 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #122

This was when my 1996 Land Cruiser got to 200k last October. It's a tad bit more now. When this thread is resurrected in four years We'll still have a 1996 Land Cruiser and a 1997 4Runner. The 4Runner only has about 160k miles on it.
IMG_3591.jpg
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #123
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My vehicle shall hit 50000 this month.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I've been eyeing one of these: 2011 Kia Sportage EX FWD - Yahoo! Autos

Also considering the Kia Soul, Hyundai Tucson and Elantra Touring. I think gas is going nowhere but up, but I want a MPV that can haul a bike, camping gear, groceries, etc., so no sedan/coupe. Either small SUV or wagon/hatchback thingy.
I'm looking at a Mazda5, a mini mini van.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I drive, and my car sure is dying (just got the A/C fixed).

I was thinking, one day I'll have had every part replaced at sometime except for the outside.

BTW..have about 113,000 miles and counting.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

1999 standard Honda accord just hit 185,000 and still getting 30 mpg.

Paid for it in cash and think I got my money's worth.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I've been eyeing one of these: 2011 Kia Sportage EX FWD - Yahoo! Autos

Also considering the Kia Soul, Hyundai Tucson and Elantra Touring. I think gas is going nowhere but up, but I want a MPV that can haul a bike, camping gear, groceries, etc., so no sedan/coupe. Either small SUV or wagon/hatchback thingy.
I have friends who are on their second Kia Sportage. They have a long commute and put a lot of miles on it. They love it.

Also check out this article on wagon/hatchback thingys.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1965281/
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I've been driving my wheel into the turf for about 30 years. I generally get about 15 years or so out of them and usually (but not always) buy a brand spankin new edition soon after. My last couple of cars were donated to the Society of St Vincent de Paul for their use.

They usaully end up salvaging them or auctioniong them and using the $ to help the poor of Texas.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you truly love your car it will last forever. A friend of mine is the proud owner of a 1959 MGA that be bought new. He guesses it has about 400,000 miles on it. The bad news is that it has been restored from the wheels up three times, for a total of about $30K.

Edit to add:
Restoration number 4 is needed soon. I doubt he can afford another $20K
Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie View Post
166k on the Bonnie... 200k should be here in a couple years...

The wife's LT1 Impy will see 200k easily...

Update - 217k on the Bonnie, and it still runs well. Looks? Not so much....
Old 04-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #131

I have a good news/bad news situation. The bad part is that my normal driving averages about 24,000 miles a year. The good news is that the high mileage means my vehicles get worn out before they get seriously old, so I get to switch to a newer one sooner than I otherwise would.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Highest mileage I've ever dared is 174K with a Honda Prelude in the 80's, and had very few problems with that car even when I finally traded it in. However, I would never put DW in a high mileage car, she always gets the "new car."

Current Honda Element has over 110K, and I am wrestling with whether or not to put some money in it or trade it. I know the economics greatly favor driving the wheels off it, but I know it will leave me standing on the side of the road one day, just no idea when. I read about someone online who has driven an Element 315K miles, but he's also replaced almost everything on it.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #133

Midpack, two of your ideas resonated with me.

The long distance driving in a new vehicle is important for peace of mind. For real long distances like vacation we shop around and tend to rent a new car. Kind of made sense to me to put 3k on a rental car in a week for maybe $100 or $200. Doesn't matter for slow speed driving locally or parked in the garage.

The second was having spouse in the better car. I know I can probably identify a problem early or cope with it. Plus I seem to have less time constraints.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

If cell phones hadn't been invented, we'd probably be more motivated to sell our cars earlier and be more conscious of preventive maintenance (replacing parts before they wear out, etc). With a cell phone, if DW or I break down locally it's an inconvenience but not the huge hassle that it used to be--somebody can usually come to the rescue in short order. Even with my more "relaxed" maintenance standards, breakdowns still only happen infrequently (it's been about 2 years since the last one). Plus, cars have gotten a lot better: a typical 15 YO car today is much more reliable than a 10 YO car of the 70's.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Even with my more "relaxed" maintenance standards, breakdowns still only happen infrequently (it's been about 2 years since the last one). Plus, cars have gotten a lot better: a typical 15 YO car today is much more reliable than a 10 YO car of the 70's.
This shows how much this is a perception thing. I would not have tolerated that frequency of breakdowns in my 20s, let alone now. There are bridges, tunnels, ferries, mountain roads and really bad neighborhoods-all kinds of situations where I do not want a breakdown, and also where I would be embarrassed to submit someone else to one.

I have not had a breakdown probably in 30 years, and I don't want any.

Ha
Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #136
Confused about dryer sheets

2001 Yukon XL 302,000 miles
1996 Lexus LS400 225,000 miles
2006 Porsche 911S 24,000 miles

All with no problems. I have been looking for a reason to get a newer car but can find none.

Cars now days will last if serviced regularly at the dealer
JHD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This shows how much this is a perception thing. I would not have tolerated that frequency of breakdowns in my 20s, let alone now. There are bridges, tunnels, ferries, mountain roads and really bad neighborhoods-all kinds of situations where I do not want a breakdown, and also where I would be embarrassed to submit someone else to one.

Ha
I feel the same, and the likelihood of a car breaking down is the most important factor for me in determining which cars I will buy.

I don't drive on "iffy" tires, either, since I have never changed one and have no desire to learn how to do this in my golden years.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't drive on "iffy" tires...
In all the occasions that I had to change the tires while on the road, there was a nail in it!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Hey, you're missing a priceless opportunity to meet the locals, exchange small talk with tow truck drivers, etc!

Among the cases I'm counting are "failure to start" (bad solenoid), flat tire discovered while starting an errand (nail in corner of sidewall/tread), dead battery (left lights on). I didn't think these kinds of events were that unusual and only the solenoid was likely due to the car being old.

When I was a kid our family drove newer cars and, still, we'd have a no-kidding on the road breakdown fairly often when we were taking a big road trip. The cars are a lot better now, especially if one buys a reliable brand.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In all the occasions that I had to change the tires while on the road, there was a nail in it!
Nails are very common on the less traveled roads here ever since Hurricane Katrina. Actually F. has another nail in one of his tires right now. There is a gas station here that will remove a nail and plug the hole for $6. Luckily I have never had a completely flat tire out on the road due to a nail.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote