CNN Money says "Drive your car to death!"

Aren't you driving a BMW now? If that's the case, I would stick to your policy of trading in every 4 years, or whenever the warranty is about to expire. Aren't oil changes $100? ;)

They're free the first 4 years!

So are brake pads, which when you drive like I do is worth some serious $$$

I'm just messing with FD. I know the "imports" are made here. All this talk for me is just nameplates, really, not actually made here versus made there.

But I just keep thinking--after I was lusting after a Ford Galaxie I saw in a parking lot the other day--will anyone ever feel this way about a Honda? FWIW, I still want a Pacer, so what does that tell you?

My subaru was made in indiana and my honda was made in Canada. My old ford wagon was made in the us, but had a japanese transmission. Domestic vs. import is effectively meaningless, IMO.

I only want cars with a Japanese brand and a VIN that starts with a "J".

Ha

If you're gonna smoke that stuff, at least pass it around... O0

Oh, yeah and also from that article's sidebar on the 10 cars with bad reps, the ever memorable AMC Matador! Who wouldn't want one of those! Smokin' hot!O0

Attachments

• 1974_amc_matador_xrt.jpg
    1974_amc_matador_xrt.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 127
My subaru was made in indiana and my honda was made in Canada. My old ford wagon was made in the us, but had a japanese transmission. Domestic vs. import is effectively meaningless, IMO.

My previous vehicle was a Ford Festiva: it was a Mazda built in Korea.

But what does it mean to "Buy American" in the context of buying a car? The Honda Element is made in East Liberty, Ohio. Is it import or domestic? Similarly, the Pontiac Aztec is made in Mexico. Import or domestic? And Volvo is owned by Ford Motor Company (along with Land Rover and Jaguar). Am I really buying a Ford when I buy a Volvo?

Yes... which is why I will not buy a Volvo

I only want cars with a Japanese brand and a VIN that starts with a "J".

Ha

I only want a reasonably priced, highly reliable car with excellent crash test ratings, reasonable fuel economy, plenty of cargo space, and prefeably AWD/4WD. Don't care who makes it or where.

We are probably going to get rid of my 2-door car soon since we have a baby on the way. I actually feel a little bit guilty since its "only" 9 years old and has only 115k miles on it. I also rationalize a bit since my 2-door doesn't have ABS or side airbags.

Any opinions on a 2005/2006 Passat wagon with AWD (not the turbo diesel one) ? VW makes me a little bit nervous about reliability, but a friend is selling one and I know he takes good care of cars.

Any opinions on a 2005/2006 Passat wagon with AWD (not the turbo diesel one) ? VW makes me a little bit nervous about reliability, but a friend is selling one and I know he takes good care of cars.

Not with a 10 foot stick...

Yes... which is why I will not buy a Volvo

Because you want to buy truly American, or the flip side, because you are worried Volvo has been infused with Fix Or Repair Daily magic? I was concerned a bit myself, but it seems that, at least model year 2005 (what I bought) Volvo was still building their models in Sweden, and were just a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford. No "let's put the Taurus transmission on all the Volvo cars to save money" stuff going on...

We are probably going to get rid of my 2-door car soon since we have a baby on the way. I actually feel a little bit guilty since its "only" 9 years old and has only 115k miles on it. I also rationalize a bit since my 2-door doesn't have ABS or side airbags.

Don't walk, RUN...............:eek:

Because you want to buy truly American, or the flip side, because you are worried Volvo has been infused with Fix Or Repair Daily magic? I was concerned a bit myself, but it seems that, at least model year 2005 (what I bought) Volvo was still building their models in Sweden, and were just a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford. No "let's put the Taurus transmission on all the Volvo cars to save money" stuff going on...

No, my last car is an Acura.... it is because that an old Ford I bought was so bad and they kept secret the fix to the main problem that it had... and it cost me a lot to repair....

And yes, the fix or repair is going into the Volvo... I think the 40 has the global base for many cars..

But, I don't want my money going to Ford... if Volvo become independent, then maybe I would look at it...

BTW, same goes for Mazda

Note that one of the things the article says is:

Clean the car carefully inside and out. This not only helps the car's appearance but can prevent premature rust. Vacuuming the inside also prevents premature carpet wear from sand and grit.

We, as a forum, came to a different conclusion in this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/cleaning-stuff-19303.html

This is less important than it used to be, assuming you have a cell phone in the car.
Heh-We obviously live in very different areas. Middle of nowhere around here probably won't have cell reception!

We had good experiences with Volvos too.
My 97 Volvo 850 (pre merger with Ford) has given us 120k miles of reliable service. DW has a 94 Volvo 940 with 130k miles which just refuses to quit. Perfect city cars, really. Good protection in accidents and low theft risk.
After owning and driving Ford, GM, Buick, Toyota, Honda, Lexis, Isuzu, Nissan, and Volvo in our extended family; it's clear that the imports hold up better over the years. If Detroit can get their act together, no reason why we wouldn't give them another shot.

I have been fine with my Chevy, and it is a 95.. the newer ones are better...

I have to say that the new SUVs are pretty good looking.. the Acadia and the :confused: Buick whatever... lots of room, decent gas mileage for an SUV etc...

I have been fine with my Chevy, and it is a 95.. the newer ones are better...

I have to say that the new SUVs are pretty good looking.. the Acadia and the :confused: Buick whatever... lots of room, decent gas mileage for an SUV etc...

Buick Enclave...best looking SUV out of Detroit in a LONG time.........I wonder if they will hold up.........:rolleyes:

Pretty much everyone I know who drives a Trailblazer or Rainier is happy, but again, NO long term data to support reliability, and now they don't make the Rainier:confused:

We had good experiences with Volvos too.
My 97 Volvo 850 (pre merger with Ford) has given us 120k miles of reliable service. DW has a 94 Volvo 940 with 130k miles which just refuses to quit. Perfect city cars, really. Good protection in accidents and low theft risk.
After owning and driving Ford, GM, Buick, Toyota, Honda, Lexis, Isuzu, Nissan, and Volvo in our extended family; it's clear that the imports hold up better over the years. If Detroit can get their act together, no reason why we wouldn't give them another shot.

Ford bought Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo over the years, and here's the result:

Jaguar: Once Ford started using the SAME platform for the Lincoln LS and the Jaguar, the quality dropped a LOT. Not that the British made Jaguars were ultra reliable, but now there's a market for the "pre-Ford" Jaguars..........meaning 1989 and before.......:D

Land Rover: Enough said, these vehicles are not known for quality.

Volvo: My mom bought one in 96, still has it, and loves the car. It is built well, and safe. Don't know how Ford has mucked it up over the years...........

Just replaced my Subaru Outback (1996) which had 225,000 miles on it. I hope to keep my new car that long or longer.. My friends kept asking "are you still driving that Subaru" ? Finally reached a point where the repairs required would be greater than the value of the car.

If making the decision on financial grounds alone, surely the cost of repairs should be compared to the replacement cost of the car??

If making the decision on financial grounds alone, surely the cost of repairs should be compared to the replacement cost of the car??

My thought, too. My super cheap friends will go from one beater to another, that's one way to make replace vs. repair work.

I love reading the comments to this article here, and then reading the comments on the same article on the car enthusiast forums.

Quite a difference as you might imagine!

I love reading the comments to this article here, and then reading the comments on the same article on the car enthusiast forums.

Quite a difference as you might imagine!

NO LBYM on there......more like they buy a used Civic and put $20,000 into it..........:eek:

Back
Top Bottom