CNN Now Has Ads Prior to Videos

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Looks like CNN new has 15-30 second ads inserted before all videos. They used to be ad-free.

That is how ALL of my local news websites work also.

I think people are starting to get more and more of their news online.

So the media just learns to put their drug ads online.....and now you can't even change the channel!

You are FORCED to watch the ED drug commercials!

Jim

What I hate more than that, is that they are going to videos almost to the exclusion of written articles.

When I am feeling morose, I wonder if the printed word will become obsolete in our lifetimes. Everything will have gone to videos. Eventually kids won't even have to learn to read or write in schools any more. I could go on. :(

You know, I USED to teach sliderule. :mad:

What I hate more than that, is that they are going to videos almost to the exclusion of written articles.

When I am feeling morose, I wonder if the printed word will become obsolete in our lifetimes. Everything will have gone to videos. Eventually kids won't even have to learn to read or write in schools any more. I could go on. :(

You know, I USED to teach sliderule. :mad:

The written word better not become obsolete....or they better start closed captioning everything or I'll be pissed.:mad:

Too right. I see this a lot at work too, where some internal news or info is passed via a video rather than a written statement. Why do I need to look at a video of some exec's mug reading from a script, when I can probably read it at 5x the speed and get back to [-]goofing off on the internet[/-] work.

How long will it be that we will get to see an advertisement prior to logging on here? This year? Next year?:blush:

Hell Id do it now for this site. I imagine its been figured out if it would run a profit or not ;)

TV has reached ad saturation for me,most of the shows i watch now are shows i've taped so i can FF through the endless ads.

With this fix I might watch CNN videos again. Normally any video, on any web site, starting with an ad is immediately aborted. Thanks for the tip.

IT WORKS!!! Ah, T-Al, that's a great fix. Thank you, thank you, TY. :D

Well, I guess they got wise to us, because today it stopped working. If you click on the video link again, it just starts the commercial from the beginning.

I really don't like it when someone else takes over control of my computer.

Reuters.com looks pretty good, and there are no pre-video ads that's I've seen.

You play your cards right and we can probably talk Andy into arranging something for you next week...;)

Groan! I *hate* that when in a theater, they show ads - I'm paying to see the movie NOT the ads.....what's great here in Germany is they show two start times, the start time of the previews and then the start time of the real movie....and they serve beer and wine :)

As for this board, well, I'm still miffed with the right side garbage cluttering up the screen space - and this was because:confused::confused:

I sure as he!! hope they don't start spewing anymore ads.

Another here in Germany story: I remember foreigners telling me that the US was so commercial and I didn't understand. After living here for a few years, it is culture shock to go the US - ads EVERYWHERE. You can understand and at times appreciate the foreigner's perspective.

As for this board, well, I'm still miffed with the right side garbage cluttering up the screen space - and this was because:confused::confused:

You can turn that off. Go to User CP (on the horizontal bar above). Then, in the left hand column choose "Edit Options". Go to the bottom and the last option you can edit is to turn off the stuff on the right hand side.

Almost anything that seems "free" really isn't, and IMO as long as we continue to look for ways to circumvent advertising on free sites and services, the more they will respond by (a) making the ads even more obnoxious and harder to avoid or (b) pulling the plug on the free service, either shutting it down or charging for content.

I'm no shill for Madison Avenue, but let's face it -- we've become addicted to "free" content that costs the content providers real money to maintain. They have to get their revenue somewhere. Having said that, yes, I try to avoid ads and commercials when I can as well.

I hate ads at the movie theaters when I pay for a movie ticket.

When you go to CNN (or almost any website) and they have the nerve to show ads? Demand your money back!

This is how the forum looks for me; Adblock plus lets me remove not only ads but unnecessary banners:

forum.jpg

Al, you have 13 unread PM's? That would drive me nuts! Go read your PM's. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom