Coach of American Woman Pole Vaulter is an Idiot......

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have no idea WHY NBC had him miked last night. He berated her on worldwide TV. What a moron, she should fire him and move on. She got a silver and lost to the Russian girl who set a new world record! :eek:

He's a dick, and needs to go. He accused her of "jumping too much" and getting caught in a "meat grinder" between 4.65 and 4.80 meters.........what a tool..........:rolleyes::p

He made me think she had come out dead last, quit and walked away and spit on her opponent.

I have no idea WHY NBC had him miked last night. He berated her on worldwide TV. What a moron, she should fire him and move on. She got a silver and lost to the Russian girl who set a new world record! :eek:

He's a dick, and needs to go. He accused her of "jumping too much" and getting caught in a "meat grinder" between 4.65 and 4.80 meters.........what a tool..........:rolleyes::p

She is a big girl and can take the verbal attitude. By the way have you ever COACHED a pole vaulter?? They are some of the most head strong atheletes out there.

I had a 12th grade jumper who had cleared 15'9" and when the big state meet came he goes and no heights, 3 jumps nothing was right, came back the next week could not clear even 13'. It took us 3 weeks to get his confidence back and see him jump 16'3" at the nationals.

Crazy stuff.

She is a big girl and can take the verbal attitude. By the way have you ever COACHED a pole vaulter?? They are some of the most head strong atheletes out there.

No, I coached high jumpers and long jumpers. They're headstrong too...........:)

I can see some of your points, but she's only been jumping for FOUR YEARS, making her one of the least experienced jumpers in the world at that level. I jumped myself in hish school and college, and jumping is as much about CONFIDENCE as it is abut TECHNIQUE..........;)

He could have handled it differently, telling her her legs were dead and she got into a meat grinder was not helpful...........:p

He's right, silver medals SUCK..........:eek:

No, I coached high jumpers and long jumpers. They're headstrong too...........:)

I can see some of your points, but she's only been jumping for FOUR YEARS, making her one of the least experienced jumpers in the world at that level. I jumped myself in hish school and college, and jumping is as much about CONFIDENCE as it is abut TECHNIQUE..........;)

He could have handled it differently, telling her her legs were dead and she got into a meat grinder was not helpful...........:p

He's right, silver medals SUCK..........:eek:

Maybe I am just old school, I remember my coaches giving us the you know what when we well lost. Silver at the games, pretty good no? But then again not if you are on that Chinese team.. Or Pole Vaulting for that guy.

Wingnut, are you new to the forum, I don't think we've seen a Hi, I am post from you yet. Please, introduce yourself, and welcome! :)

I have to qualify my post by admitting that I have never coached ANY track and field athletics. THE GUY WAS AN ASS. I cannot believe that someone pays him money to demonstrate such childish behaviour in front of the whole world. The jumper did great and no way she could have taken the gold. I was VERY proud of her. On the other hand. Some of those runners who slow down and start showboating before the end of a race really PISS ME OFF!!
Jeff

I could almost write a logic rule to automatically add him to the ignore list...

I'm tellin ya, people with usernames that end in a bunch of numbers are usually trouble! ;)

I have to qualify my post by admitting that I have never coached ANY track and field athletics. THE GUY WAS AN ASS. I cannot believe that someone pays him money to demonstrate such childish behaviour in front of the whole world. The jumper did great and no way she could have taken the gold. I was VERY proud of her. On the other hand. Some of those runners who slow down and start showboating before the end of a race really PISS ME OFF!!
Jeff

Ditto.

I had a 12th grade jumper who had cleared 15'9" and when the big state meet came he goes and no heights, 3 jumps nothing was right, came back the next week could not clear even 13'. It took us 3 weeks to get his confidence back and see him jump 16'3" at the nationals.

Crazy stuff.

The Coach made a complete ASS out of himself. I suspect he is a frustrated "has been" who was trying to relive the glory days through her achievements as her "coach". That was not the place nor time to make the comments he did even if they were true.

For those who have ever played a sport, very few prefer the Bobby Knight/Pat Sullivan approach to coaching. To belittle an olympic athlete who just took the silver metal says alot about his character or lack thereof.

Wingnut56...Maybe you should look inward and reflect as to why you are coaching if you agree with this coach's tactics. Are you a frustrated "has been too"?

As Teddy Roosevelt stated so well:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat"

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I am just old school, I remember my coaches giving us the you know what when we well lost. Silver at the games, pretty good no? But then again not if you are on that Chinese team.. Or Pole Vaulting for that guy.

So, I am guessing your teams never went anywhere under that coach? I went to a small school, but our track team won national titles all the time, and I NEVER heard that kind of crap. We had two guys qualifiy for the Olympic Trials in shotput, and one in the decathlon, so it's not like our team sucked..............;)

That part where he said: "I told 10 people around me here that you got caught in a meat grinder, what are you going to do, right"?? I am 1000% sure that guy NEVER amounted to ANYTHING as an athlete, and if he did, all the rest of the team hated him.........;)

I've never coached an athlete in my life but what that guy said was beyond horrible. Afterall, the girl was in the OLYMPICS and won a SILVER! Can't believe a silver is not valued.

Ahem ahem! - ahem I say. I should like to point out that some really kind folks on this forum hepped me get reborn as unclemick when I switched from webtv to a 'real' computer and had to reregister as unclemick2.

Soo - don't end in a number - thus back to my normally perverted INTJ, lefthanded ER' ness.

BTW - I never coached anything.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Some athletes need a bigger kick than others. That said, I think there is a place and time for criticism and it's not after a silver medal victory when miked up for the world to hear. The guy's a clown.

allison-stokke.jpg

I have nothing of value to add

but as long as we're talking about pole vaulting

Back
Top Bottom