Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

3 cups every morning, and a few in the afternoon and evening. I'm not picky about brand, though I don't like Folgers. For some reason, I find Yuban much more palatable, though it is still quite cheap. Maybe I'll go a bit more upmarket one day, maybe not

As odd as this is going to sound, I also like instant coffee (like samclem). I drink it very rarely, but an occasional treat is to prepare it the way we used to when I was growing up in England - half water and half milk, or all milk, and a decent instant brand, such as Maxwell House. Must be a product of my upbringing - we drank a lot of instant. Then at some point in the early - mid 1970's, my Mum started experimenting with different ways of preparing ground coffee - an all-glass Kona coffee maker, one of those little aluminum pots that you put on the stove, and regular drip coffee makers. Not sure whether it was because my Mum suddenly became hip to ground coffee, or whether it was because of a broader cultural thing in that ground coffee was being promoted and becoming available more in England at the time.

My grandmother, who was particularly frugal, would re-use the same coffee beans in her percolator until her coffee looked like light brown water. We used to joke about that when we visited her. I could never imagine doing that but then, she would have been in her 30's during the depression. I imagine a lot of habits were picked up by people who lived through that era that were never unlearned.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If a chicken-and-a-half took a day-and-a-half to lay an egg-and-a-half, how many lug nuts are on a birthday cake?
Obviously, 5.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

I saw the light on the daily starbucks thing several years ago - but my husband still gets a house coffee there sometimes. We rinse out and reuse the cups when we get home as "to go" cups. We have a stash of 3 or 4 we keep using. Does that qualify me as frugal?

I believe we have found the third circle of ER lbyming heaven, above straining peanut butter after the jar breaks to remove any glass and below reusing dryer sheets several times!

DH does the same thing with to-go cups. I just can't as he uses cream and I think tiny things are growing in them after what he calls "rinsing them out."

People give me Starbucks gift cards all the time for some reason. I do like the coffee there (I drink it black and have never had a foo foo frappalatte thingie), but it has become a very sterile place in terms of procedures. Very much like McDonalds today.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #24
Administrator

Ah, coffee! Coffee is one of the few vices that I still indulge in these days, although I can only drink two mugs of half strength coffee before noon if I want to get to bed by 3 AM.

After retirement I did an extended "taste test" by buying and grinding and brewing and trying and comparing almost every highly rated/recommended brand of coffee under the sun. This is the kind of thing that some of us retirees do! My favorite turned out to be Dunkin Donuts coffee, which is kind of expensive compared with some brands. However, since I just drink it half strength, I don't use much.

After I have finished my two mugs of perfect (IMO) coffee, I move on to caffeine free herb teas which do not bother my sleep.

Time for that second mug of coffee!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #25

Love our coffee rituals and yes it truly is a luxury worth spending a little extra on each day. If you want romance in your life, you can always find it in a cup of coffee. I don't know why, it's magic I guess.

We drink Starbucks Verona exclusively and have since 1999. The French Press is our preferred method of brewing and we even have taken to having it brewed that way on the rare occasion we actually go to a Starbucks coffee house. If you've never done a French Press, it's extremely easy; just boil water and pour into the press and wait 3-4 minutes before pressing. Retains all the oils unlike a paper filter which traps the oils (out comes my coffee snob ) and makes a great, full-bodied cup of joe. Check out youtube if you're unfamiliar.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #26

Some random coffee thoughts...

I've got to have my coffee in the morning. When I travel abroad, I love to go with the local cuisine, but I don't feel right unless I get my mug or two of American style coffee every morning.

About a year ago I switched to an electric percolator. Got tired of the lukewarm drip coffee. In spite of what many coffee "experts" say it seems to me to brew a more flavorful cup of coffee than drip home brew methods.

I guess I need my coffee is as much emotional as anything else. First started drinking coffee when on a church camp in 7th grade. Found it so good waking up in the cool forest morning with a steaming hot cup of coffee. It was especially good because it was considered a little bit "sinful" too!

Then in my high school years working in the maintenance department of a school, the coffee breaks listening to the old guys talk about their WWII adventures, loved those coffee breaks.

Now there is nothing better than getting up in the morning and relaxing with my first cup of coffee, which is coincidentally what I am doing at this very moment.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I drink 10 cups, (by the pot measure, but really that is only about 3.5 mugs,) every day. Brew it myself in a free Gevalia drip coffee maker, using very bold coffees. I drink mine straight up, and much stronger than most can take. Sis has to add hot water to dilute. Never liked coffee growing up, occasionally taking sips of Dad's with all that cream and sugar.

Caffeine is my drug of choice.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
...never had a foo foo frappalatte thingie)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever
...but it has become a very sterile place in terms of procedures. Very much like McDonalds today.
+1. We actually used to like Starbucks, but it IS like another fast food place now, so we only go there when there's no other choice nowadays. I wonder how long it'll be until they add 'would you like fries with your frappalatte thingie?'

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #29

Tea! Sorry, not a coffee fan.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Had one sip when I was a kid.
And this from someone in Seattle!

I've had a few potfuls over time as an adult. I don't mind the taste, and can appreciate the ritual/etc. that others have, but it seemed to rip my guts asunder more times than not. I was never quite sure whether the caffeine ever did anything for me either, other than the HUGE headaches I got for a couple days when I stopped for good.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Coffee... Ah, coffee...

I generally have 4-6 cups of coffee a day. I usually have just one cup of 'regular' early in the morning, and switch to decaf for the rest. I buy roasted beans at Costco, their "San Francisco" brand prepared by Rodgers Family Coffee. They do a good job on the French roast varieties.

I grind my own beans with a Hario burr hand grinder. I used to use a little 'whirly blade' grinder, but the result from that thing included everything from big uncrushed chunks of bean to 'flour', the bitter coffee dust that can really mess up a good cup. I had a Cuisinart burr grinder, but like many modern products of that brand, it looked better than it worked (uneven grind, lots of static cling), and the motor burned out a winding after a year. The little Hario grinds a cup's worth of beans in just under a minute, and the grind is very even, with no 'flour'. Call it morning exercise...

I brew the coffee using a Saeco Aroma espresso machine. For regular coffee I pull a long shot, and add a little hot water for American style coffee. I do keep some of the Torani flavored syrups around for fun. Cost Plus has the big bottles for the price of the tiny ones in the grocery store.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Work used to involve a lot of driving, all over the L.A. Area. A Starbucks stop was always a nice reason for a break (or a rest stop). A few years ago I switched to, of all things, McDonalds just because I liked their coffee better.

Cream only please, no sugar.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #33

4-6 pot cups/day of Peet's Gaia Organic from Costco, w/FF milk.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Had one sip when I was a kid.
Never had even a single sip of coffee. Never was interested in it. If I go to Starbucks, the only drink I can get is a hot chocolate, which is really good there.

Oddly, I do like the smell of coffee.

Then again, having no interest in coffee is consistent with my outlier personality. No cell phone, no job (retired, of course), no debt, no god/religion (atheist), no Facebook, no kids.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

I grind my own beans with a Hario burr hand grinder. I used to use a little 'whirly blade' grinder, but the result from that thing included everything from big uncrushed chunks of bean to 'flour', the bitter coffee dust that can really mess up a good cup.
Thank you for bringing up the grinder. Years ago I read a coffee snob article in the Atlantic (probably the same one that thought there was a special place in Helsinki for the guy who invented flavored coffees). The author was adamant that the best investment one could make was not a fancy coffee maker, but a good quality burr grinder. I got one and found out he was right. The coffee is much better than the grind from a swirling blade.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
Work used to involve a lot of driving, all over the L.A. Area. A Starbucks stop was always a nice reason for a break (or a rest stop). A few years ago I switched to, of all things, McDonalds just because I liked their coffee better.

Cream only please, no sugar.
+1 Starbucks drip coffee is not my favorite at all. But, they do pay their employees well and offer health insurance benefits even to part timers. So, I can forgive them the high price. Just today I heard a story about an early forced retirement. The guy works 3 days a week at SBUX to get his health insurance and some extra money until he can tap his retirement accounts.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #37

I have few sips of DW's coffee every two years or so, just to verify that I still don't like it.
Also similar to scrabbler1 I like the smell of good coffee.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #38

Green tea with a half tab of NoDoz in the morning. Coffee with my afternoon cigar.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #39

Never acquired a taste for coffee. I saved a lot of money avoiding Starbucks over the years.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #40

Coffee never passed my lips until age 28, when I began as a stimulant due to lack of sleep as a new mother. Initially I drank it with about one-third skim milk. Now I drink it black. I brew various ground coffees every morning (2 or 3 cups). I buy whatever is a dollar or two off at the grocery: Peet's, Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, Seattle's Best. I never drink coffee after breakfast except on very rare occasion if I am dining with friends in a restaurant. I might order a de-caf then while lingering over conversation.