Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #41

Occasionally if we're in a restaurant in wintertime mostly because it's a hot drink. Yes on the cream & sugar. DW has two cups black in the morning from a Mr. Coffee machine, Maxwell House Original Blend.

I DO NOT attempt conversation with her until she's had her coffee. That never ends well.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't like SB, I had it once and it tasted like the beans were burned. From what I have been told that's how their coffee is. If all I could get was SB I'd stop drinking coffee.

I used to drink it when I got to work, I'd make it in the morning and take a thermos. I never drank coffee before I was at work and even then sometimes it would be 3 or more hours since I woke up. I never needed coffee to function in the morning.

I quit drinking coffee about 4 or 5 years ago. One morning after retiring I got busy and forgot to have a few cups and by 11 am I had a killer headache. I cut back by 1 cup every 2 weeks and after 4 weeks I was done with coffee.

Last October I decided I missed coffee. I have been drinking black chai tea and got used to it figuring it was good for me, I buy it by the pound in the health food store. So I bought some Dunkin Donuts beans, ground them and it was wonderful. I guess I have gotten used to it cause it's OK but no big deal.

I still have tea for breakfast but just about every day, though not every day, around 3:45 to 4 I make 2 or 4 cups of DD black no cream or sugar.

If you are interested there's a great show on TV called Dangerous Grounds. I sure would like to taste these coffees this guy finds, they sound unbelievably good!

Dangerous Grounds | About the Show
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I don't like SB, I had it once and it tasted like the beans were burned.
Starbucks coffee always disappoints me, for the same reason. I know it is popular, but to me it tastes a bit insipid and also like the beans were burned. The coffee that I make at home is SO much more to my taste.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
g.

About a year ago I switched to an electric percolator. Got tired of the lukewarm drip coffee. In spite of what many coffee "experts" say it seems to me to brew a more flavorful cup of coffee than drip home brew methods.
Went back to a percolator this year too! Forget the Keurig or other drips.

Don't have time for the French Press....but son-in-law uses one.

Love my coffee in the morning....at least 3 to 4 cups until 12:00. Nothing after the noon hour or if so...it's decaf instant.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Went back to a percolator this year too! Forget the Keurig or other drips.
Quote:
About a year ago I switched to an electric percolator. Got tired of the lukewarm drip coffee. In spite of what many coffee "experts" say it seems to me to brew a more flavorful cup of coffee than drip home brew methods.
I also have a percolator that I love.

Ignore the so-called experts. Percolator coffee tastes different than drip coffee. It has a nuttier more robust - richer flavor than drip coffee that drip -pots just can't achieve.

There are not that many of us but there are strong proponents of percolator coffee. Mix in your cream and the cup is still piping hot.

And oh - that great aroma in the house as the coffee is brewing !

here's a great read on the pleasures of percolator coffee.

http://ruhlman.com/2008/02/percolator-love/

Quote:

By Michael Ruhlman | Published: February 6, 2008
When Monica Eng concluded her story about my love of Cleveland (she would also critique Elements of Cooking in a piece so thoughtful it would merit a marriage proposal were I not already fanatically devoted to Donna)—she described my coffee percolator and my skin-flint affection for Folgers. I subsequently got a few emails from percolator devotees and it renewed my desire to rid the world of the ridiculous automatic drip coffee maker, a sham perpetrated on an unthinking, convenience minded public.

</H1>

If you enjoyed that article here's his follow-up article:

http://ruhlman.com/2010/11/percolator-re-love/
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #46

We have a stove top perk pot - liked you use on a campfire grill. That comes out some weekends.

We also use the moka pot a lot more than our espresso maker. Our Saeco espresso maker lasted about 7 years before we broke a part - and the replacement part never fit quite right - so we tend to pull out the moka pot when we want something more espresso like. (I know that moka pots don't have the milibars of pressure to make "real" espresso - but I like the taste of what they produce.)

But day in/day out - it's our undercounter drip pot with a stainless carafe... We go through it fast enough the that the thermal properties of the carafe keep it warm enough for us.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

coffee?

alternative... chicory, with a touch of absinthe.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #48

My wife is the family coffee connoisseur. She's a devoted Peet's Coffee fan and was getting beans from them mail order ever since we moved to Ohio. The UPS guy always knew what he was delivering...

Last year Peet's opened a store a few miles from us and she is quite happy to be able to buy fresh beans there.

I drink what she drinks ;-)
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #49

If they had "intravenous delivery", I'd buy it. I drink about two pots a day usually 4 cups for breakfast, several expresso's while out doing errands or sitting in Cafe's with friends and another two cup's at 8:30 pm with my YW when she get's home from work. I like it dark and sweet (like my wife). In my little neighborhood we have 7 Starbucks, 1 Duncan donuts, 2 Juan Valdez, 1 gloria jean's and a hundred independents. This is quite surprising as Peru has the lowest per capita coffee consumption in the World. I do not go to the chains as Peru is the largest specialty organic coffee producer in the world and I have access (I own a $15,000 coffee roaster) to a steady supply of "TUNKI"!

The craziest coffee I ever bought was $200.00 a kilo coffee that is made from the excrement of a type of Raccoon we have in the jungle!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
I also have a percolator that I love.

Ignore the so-called experts. Percolator coffee tastes different than drip coffee. It has a nuttier more robust - richer flavor than drip coffee that drip -pots just can't achieve.

There are not that many of us but there are strong proponents of percolator coffee. Mix in your cream and the cup is still piping hot.

And oh - that great aroma in the house as the coffee is brewing !

here's a great read on the pleasures of percolator coffee.
He mentions in the article:
" I serve generic decaf to guests and they’re begging to know what kind of coffee I buy. Swear to God. I haul out the big green can to prove it."

I have experienced a similar situation at my house. It was evening and I only had some old decaf in the back of the shelf. So I went ahead and served that. My guests commented on how good the coffee was and asked me what kind of coffee I was using. People are just not used to what they are missing by using their home drip makers these days.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

I drink about six cups of coffee a day. I have developed more expensive tastes and no longer like the store brands (Folger's, etc.) but don't care for bold flavors either. Usually buy Seattle's Best at Target in their breakfast blend or house blend - unless there is a very good sale on Starbuck's. I make and drink most of my coffee at home or in the office - am too cheap to go to Starbuck's unless on travel. I don't grind my own beans but do use filtered water. And the only way to drink coffee is black.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This just popped up on the list of free Kindle books. Very appropriate...

How To Overcome Coffee Addiction and Stay Caffeine Free Forever [Kindle Edition]
Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This just popped up on the list of free Kindle books. Very appropriate...

How To Overcome Coffee Addiction and Stay Caffeine Free Forever [Kindle Edition]
I take it you're not a coffee aficionado...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I take it you're not a coffee aficionado...
Not an aficionado but I do look forward to a cup or two each morning.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #55

French press, medium-dark roast, coarse grind, preferably fresh-roasted locally, with heavy whipping cream. Every morning. No sugar. Ever.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #56

MasterBlaster...I particularly liked and laughed at this sentence in your link:

"And instead of the aromatic, enticing rush of gurgly percolation—one of the daily pleasures of this device—you get instead the sound of someone tinkling."

I never used sugar or any sugar substitute either Nash031.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not an aficionado but I do look forward to a cup or two each morning.

I misread your earlier post and assumed you were advocating abstention.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #58

Coffee and Finnish pulla bread were like wine and wafers in my home growing up. It was an afternoon ritual, especially when company came over. I still remember my grandfather sipping coffee and milk from a saucer (the saucer let it cool off faster) when I was a young boy.

I followed Mom's lead on coffee preferences, though -- unadorned with dairy products or sugar. I also like the Kirkland Columbian, a powerful brew with overtones of chocolate.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Coffee?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
The craziest coffee I ever bought was $200.00 a kilo coffee that is made from the excrement of a type of Raccoon we have in the jungle!
I think they served that in the cafeteria at w•rk...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #60

I have 1 to 2 cups every morning and sometimes a cup or two in the afternoon. I buy organic Arabica beans at Costco (that I keep in the freezer) and grind enough for a couple of days at a time. I prefer drinking it fresh, but I'm too lazy to grind them every day. I use the coffee dripper which is less messy than the French press. It makes one cup at a time.

I only drink Star bucks in airports, because it's in every airport. Everywhere.

I've never had Dunkin doughnuts coffee. I don't think we have them near me, never seen one.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote