Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #61
Dryer sheet wannabe

At least 2 large mugs each morning with a little bit of fat-free milk while reading the newspaper. It's my routine and things don't go well if one of those things are missing. I will only go to Starbucks or other coffee houses in an emergency.

Got a Keurig from my sister for Christmas this year and it felt wrong using it because the little k-cups cost about $.40 each (much more than I was used to) and they aren't recyclable. However, I am now in love with it. My DH likes strong coffee and I prefer more mild brands so it is perfect for us.
Valen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 03:47 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I drink about 3 cups each morning. After noon I switch to water.
I have a Keurig but have recently switched to the Clever Coffee Dripper. I find it better than a French Press as there are no annoying grounds left in the coffee. It is similar to a Melitta but in configured to allow more brewing time--very clever indeed. Sold at amazon. Not expensive at all, and I also indulged in an inexpensive electric water heater pot.
I like Starbucks as well as Caribou. In general, I really like the coffee shop culture that's sprung up over the last decade. Long before it got popular, I often hung out in coffee shops in Europe when traveling, teaching, or as a student--Vienna, Rome, etc. So I was pleased when a semblance of that culture took on here. I often work in a coffee shop, read the paper, etc. It is relaxing to me and I meet a lot of neighbors.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:22 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
He mentions in the article:
" I serve generic decaf to guests and they’re begging to know what kind of coffee I buy. Swear to God. I haul out the big green can to prove it."

I have experienced a similar situation at my house. It was evening and I only had some old decaf in the back of the shelf. So I went ahead and served that. My guests commented on how good the coffee was and asked me what kind of coffee I was using. People are just not used to what they are missing by using their home drip makers these days.
No one knows when they drink decaf in my house either, and I use the drip coffee maker. The key is to using enough coffee. Most bad coffee is just weak coffee. Even the generic coffee is much better when you don't skimp.
InParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #64

I like Dunkin', pretty good. Starbucks is pretty good too. We have a local shop here in Bird Rock that's awesome.

New question: Freeze or not?

I froze my beans for a long time, but don't anymore at the suggestion of the baristas at said coffee shop. After reading online a little bit, there seems to be a split. In my experience, freezing doesn't do anything for the coffee (some say it harms the beans) *if you're using it every day*. I guess if you're sitting on a bag for a month or more, maybe...? Thoughts?
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valen View Post
Got a Keurig from my sister for Christmas this year and it felt wrong using it because the little k-cups cost about $.40 each (much more than I was used to) and they aren't recyclable. However, I am now in love with it. My DH likes strong coffee and I prefer more mild brands so it is perfect for us.
Amazon.com: Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter: Kitchen & Dining

also

Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers, Brown, 1-Count: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

and so on. Besides less waste, they allow you to use whatever coffee you prefer, not just what's available in K-Cups, which is pretty limited.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #66
gone traveling

Split a pot of black every am.

Our search for the "perfect cup" has had a few stops along the way. It was Peet's for a long time. Lately it's been French Roast from www.cafemam.com. We order 10 lbs at a time and it's about $10 per pound delivered. I've been thinking though that our taste gets used to one flavor and it might be worthwhile to alternate between favorites.

Oh, and what's the deal with ordering a latte from a coffee shop and they ask "do you want any flavor with that?" Isn't that insulting your own coffee?

Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a Starbucks gold card and buy about 1 bag a month of French Roast. Most of the employees who work there seem to be pleasant and happy.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #68

"Pleasant and happy" employees are partly why my neighborhood Starbucks is such a fun place to hang out. They are obviously well trained to put the customer first and set a general upbeat and friendly tone for the place. Given the surly attitude of so many employees these days--the local Walgreens and hardware store come to mind--it is downright refreshing. Starbucks has a big fireplace, comfy chairs, lots of newspapers, and is always warm inside--perfect for our frigid winter.

The independent coffee shop just down the street from me also has friendly servers and a good atmosphere. But sadly their coffee is insipid.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

I grew up drinking Dunkin Donuts coffee back east. It took forever for them to become a national brand. Now I prefer a "senior black coffee" at Mickey D's for $0.50, especially when travelling in the car.

We have a Kruig at home and DW likes Green Mountain Southern Pecan, but I am much easier to please (or getting so old I don't care anymore).
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #70

For those looking for a bold dark roast coffee that's inexpensive - look for "La Llave" - it's marketed to the hispanic crowd, specifically cuban - and it's a good dark roast coffee. My BFF is a coffee snob - and loves Ille, the italian brand. I served her espresso made with La Llave and she asked if it was Ille. Nope... I saved about $8 per can by buying La Llave.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Split a pot of black every am.

Our search for the "perfect cup" has had a few stops along the way. It was Peet's for a long time. Lately it's been French Roast from www.cafemam.com. We order 10 lbs at a time and it's about $10 per pound delivered. I've been thinking though that our taste gets used to one flavor and it might be worthwhile to alternate between favorites.

Oh, and what's the deal with ordering a latte from a coffee shop and they ask "do you want any flavor with that?" Isn't that insulting your own coffee?

I use Peet's Major Dickason's blend or the one you have in your photo above (if I can't get to my local stuff).
Old 02-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #72
Administrator

We have had a Keurig since they were first made (it was a bear to find one). We each drink a cup in the morning -- Dark Magic -- before we head off to work. Occasionally, I fill a thermos with a second cup and take it with me.

As someone who grew up on US Navy engine room coffee, I'm quite happy with our current set-up.

P.S. - there is no point in drinking coffee if you are going to adulterate it with cream or sugar.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:56 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Aeropress.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:34 AM   #74

One to 2 cups of Maxwell house coffee with a half a ton of cream and a half a ton of sugar. I use a drip coffee maker. We have a Kuerig coffee maker at work but it tastes too strong for me. They buy lots of different coffee blends, think I had Starbuck's Blonde, which is suppose to be lighter flavor but it still tastes too strong. Yes, I did try adding my half a ton "adulterate" cream and sugar.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We have had a Keurig since they were first made (it was a bear to find one). We each drink a cup in the morning -- Dark Magic -- before we head off to work. Occasionally, I fill a thermos with a second cup and take it with me.

As someone who grew up on US Navy engine room coffee, I'm quite happy with our current set-up.

P.S. - there is no point in drinking coffee if you are going to adulterate it with cream or sugar.
I didn't start drinking coffee until I joined the Navy, and the Navy has some of the crappiest coffee ever. But we can agree to disagree about cream (NOT creamER). Heavy whipping cream in good coffee is just heavenly. I would never add CoffeeMate or any of that flavored crap, let alone sugar, to my Joe.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I received a Krueg machine for Christmas, so I discarded my regular Mr. Coffee that I used Dunkin Donuts with. While it is very convenient, I have yet to find a coffee that is as good as the Dunkin in my old pot. It really financially is a ripoff, as I drink 2 cups in the morning. Even buying bulk I am spending over a buck a day which is much more expensive than buying Dunkin in a package.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I received a Krueg machine for Christmas, so I discarded my regular Mr. Coffee that I used Dunkin Donuts with. While it is very convenient, I have yet to find a coffee that is as good as the Dunkin in my old pot. It really financially is a ripoff, as I drink 2 cups in the morning. Even buying bulk I am spending over a buck a day which is much more expensive than buying Dunkin in a package.
I buy the Dunkin already ground in a bag and fill re-useable K-cups.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I buy the Dunkin already ground in a bag and fill re-useable K-cups.

Aja, are you referring to what mpierce linked in the above post? That might be the way I need to go.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Aja, are you referring to what mpierce linked in the above post? That might be the way I need to go.
Yes, but we have a set of four plastic cups with a stainless screen basket inside. There are scores of types of re-useable ones. I believe DW bought ours at Walmart for less than $10. You will probably have to expriment until you find a re-fillable that fits what you want. I tried some for eBay that were so-so.

I grew up on Dunkin coffee in Connecticut and it finally became widespread a few years ago. I'm grateful! DW likes Green Mountain Southern Pecan so that is her K-cup bad habit.

These look like what we have, but I can't be positive. In any event, it's the way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Ekobrew-Refill...refillable+cup
Old 02-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, but we have a set of four plastic cups with a stainless screen basket inside. There are scores of types of re-useable ones. I believe DW bought ours at Walmart for less than $10. You will probably have to expriment until you find a re-fillable that fits what you want. I tried some for eBay that were so-so.

I grew up on Dunkin coffee in Connecticut and it finally became widespread a few years ago. I'm grateful! DW likes Green Mountain Southern Pecan so that is her K-cup bad habit.

These look lie what we have, but I can't be positive. In any event, it
s the way to go.

Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Filter for Keurig K-Cup Brewers, 4-Count: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
We used these refillable K cups for several months but had problems with the plastic hinge on the lids breaking. I ordered a couple of the same brand (Ekobrew) made of stainless steel and they have worked great for more than a year.

Ekobrew Stainless Steel Elite Cup, Refillable K-Cup For Keurig K-Cup Brewers: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food