Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have an auto drip Mr. Coffee, it must be at least 10 years old. When I grind Dunkin Donut coffee beans I set the store's grinder at the auto drip setting. There's 2 setting for auto drip and I use the finer of the 2. The settings below must be finer yet. So if I ground those beans at the Espresso or Fine or Turkish settings would my coffee taste better being more finely ground? I guess I'm asking do you use the finer settings vs the auto drip if you have an auto drip?
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I have an auto drip Mr. Coffee, it must be at least 10 years old. When I grind Dunkin Donut coffee beans I set the store's grinder at the auto drip setting. There's 2 setting for auto drip and I use the finer of the 2. The settings below must be finer yet. So if I ground those beans at the Espresso or Fine or Turkish settings would my coffee taste better being more finely ground? I guess I'm asking do you use the finer settings vs the auto drip if you have an auto drip?
I think you might find it gets 'more bitter' rather than better. The finer grind would tend to clog the filter paper, so the brew would be steeping in the hot water longer. Depending on the machine, this might even result in the brew basket overflowing, which would just be messy.

The brewing time, the time water is in contact with the coffee grounds, is only 20-25 seconds in an espresso machine. The fine grind allows the coffee to be pressed tightly into the brewing basket (usually around 30# pressure) so that the extraction takes the right amount of time at the pressure the machine develops.

Turkish coffee is ground almost, but not quite to powder for brewing in an ibrik or cezve. Water is boiled in the ibrik, the coffee is added, and the mix is re-boiled until it foams. The whole thing, grounds and all, is poured into a demitasse cup. Wait a minute for the grounds to settle (powder won't, which is why I said ALMOST powder...) before drinking. DO NOT try to get that last drop down.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #103
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I didn't drink coffee for quite a while as it contributed to migraines. While in Florida I found I could have coffee if I was careful. We got into grinding our own and french press, I use heavy cream and a bit of sweetener. Last visit I bought some local at the airport and brought it down. Boston Stoker Highlander Grogg, addictive.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #104
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
So how do they fit in here?... Simple... Army Coffee... 30 gallons of steaming hot water, into which was poured several pounds of ground coffee, which immediately settled to the bottom, and bubbled there all morning ready for us to dip our canteen cups in for a super hot cup of java.
Can't remember if it tasted good, or tasted at all, but on a freezing morning after a night in pup tents, it was hot... and that mattered.
Anyone else remember?
Never had that. But I have had coffee (and C-rations) heated over a burning lump of C-4 plastic explosive.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I think you might find it gets 'more bitter' rather than better. The finer grind would tend to clog the filter paper, so the brew would be steeping in the hot water longer. Depending on the machine, this might even result in the brew basket overflowing, which would just be messy.

The brewing time, the time water is in contact with the coffee grounds, is only 20-25 seconds in an espresso machine. The fine grind allows the coffee to be pressed tightly into the brewing basket (usually around 30# pressure) so that the extraction takes the right amount of time at the pressure the machine develops.

Turkish coffee is ground almost, but not quite to powder for brewing in an ibrik or cezve. Water is boiled in the ibrik, the coffee is added, and the mix is re-boiled until it foams. The whole thing, grounds and all, is poured into a demitasse cup. Wait a minute for the grounds to settle (powder won't, which is why I said ALMOST powder...) before drinking. DO NOT try to get that last drop down.

I clicked the thanks icon but I am uncertain what that does. Thanks for the explanation, I'll stick to what it is designed for!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I clicked the thanks icon but I am uncertain what that does.
Removes you from the "Do Not Call" list, gives your bank account and credit card numbers to the Russian mafia, and sends a message to your local Kirby Vacuum Cleaner salesman to pay you a visit.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I clicked the thanks icon but I am uncertain what that does. Thanks for the explanation, I'll stick to what it is designed for!
It is a quick way to send a message to thank the person who wrote that post. A little window appears and you can provide a personal message of thanks too, if you want to, but you don't have to. After writing or not writing a message, you then just click the button that says "Send your Thanks" and the message will be on its way.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Removes you from the "Do Not Call" list, gives your bank account and credit card numbers to the Russian mafia, and sends a message to your local Kirby Vacuum Cleaner salesman to pay you a visit.
Да, и спасибо. Еще кофе для меня ...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

For me, a mug or two of good coffee in the morning is one of life's great pleasures. I like mine strong, with a dash of 2% milk, no sugar. I generally buy beans (currently organic Kicking Horse Pacific Roast) and grind them with a small blade grinder (Braun). I have both a drip coffee maker and an espresso machine (current versions are both Hamilton Beach). Based on this thread, I fished out my ancient el cheapo stovetop percolator this morning. I did need to strain the coffee, but it tasted magnificent!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (215.3 KB, 9 views)
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Pretty basis here....a drip Mr. Coffee and regular roast private label organic fair trade coffee (ground) from our local organic food coop.....nice and smooth mediuim roast with no cream or sugar...just black! Oh, we do use purified water vs. tap water.
MovingtotheCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

It looks like the coffee pod market may bet more restrictive:

Keurig 2.0 brews up DRM to freeze out copycat cups | Appliances - CNET Reviews

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Looks like a risky strategy to me.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looks like a risky strategy to me.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-17889_7...-copycat-cups/

Time to raise the flag!

Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
For me, a mug or two of good coffee in the morning is one of life's great pleasures. I like mine strong, with a dash of 2% milk, no sugar. I generally buy beans (currently organic Kicking Horse Pacific Roast) and grind them with a small blade grinder (Braun). I have both a drip coffee maker and an espresso machine (current versions are both Hamilton Beach). Based on this thread, I fished out my ancient el cheapo stovetop percolator this morning. I did need to strain the coffee, but it tasted magnificent!
Your percolator doesn't look right without a camp fire under it.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

I drink dark roast coffee with about a tablespoon of half and half and a couple more tablespoons of milk (I eyeball the amounts). In the winter I drink 4-5 large cups over the course of a day. In the summer I drink less- maybe three cups or so. Then I switch to iced tea. When I was pregnant, coffee was the hardest thing to give up.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #116

This thread has upped my coffee intake. The power of suggestion...
Old 03-04-2014, 04:38 AM   #117
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Nestlé did that with the nespresso pods and has been able to increase the price well above inflation.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

In a busy office location I can see the attraction of a Keurig. But...

I am looking through the selections on this page, and planning my next buy.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Just in case the liquid version is not enough, soon you will be able to bake with coffee flour:

A cup of coffee flour may hit the spot for Seattle startup | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

Note, it is the husk surrounding the bean that is turned into flour, not the actual coffee been.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:07 AM   #120

Just to chime in that I've been extremely happy with my Clever Coffee Maker. As reported earlier I invested in it as well as a small hot water pot. It makes excellent coffee, was inexpensive, and even travels well. I ditched the Keurig, although it did give me two years of good use. This is just so much better!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote