Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #121
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've been very happy with my Bialetti MOKA Express. I have been using it for around 8-9 months now. I don't use it every day because it takes a while to brew (15-20 minutes), but it is well worth the wait. I steam 1% low fat milk in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes and shake it in a thermos to add some froth. Excellent results each time.

Amazon.com: Bialetti 6800 Moka Express 6-Cup Stovetop Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining

Lavazza Crema e Gusto Ground Coffee, Italian , 8.8-Ounce Bricks (Pack of 4): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
WIBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I retired my capsule coffee device. After trying it out for several months, on and off, I got tired of paying premium prices for mediocre coffee. It's main benefits were convenience and better coffee than instant. It's main problems were waste materials and a high price for the mediocre coffee.

I am now considering a Moka device or an AeroPress. Amazon.com: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining

I would be interested in hearing more about the pros and cons of these devices.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I retired my capsule coffee device. After trying it out for several months, on and off, I got tired of paying premium prices for mediocre coffee. It's main benefits were convenience and better coffee than instant. It's main problems were waste materials and a high price for the mediocre coffee.

I am now considering a Moka device or an AeroPress. Amazon.com: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining

I have an aeropress that I use for travel. It works pretty well, and is tidy to dispose the grounds. We travel with an electric kettle as well. DH has his tea to brew. I like my home drip coffee better than the aeropress, but the aeropress is way better than hotel coffee.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I heard while touring a coffee plantation (Britt in Costa Rica) that worst coffee bean are used for instant coffee, next worst for flavor coffee. All that cream, sugar, flavor must be masking the mediocre coffee taste.

Waste materials? I hate to go to fast food restaurant b/c of it. All these wastes add up, and they gotta end up somewhere.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #125

six cups a day
Import coffee from Europe (100% Arabica) whenever I go, it is a lot less expensive there. Trip there costs money, but do it for other reasons than buying coffee...

Found that a 12 hour cold brew yields a coffee with very mellow/smooth flavor. Same idea as drip coffee with hot water (slow vs. fast extraction for the chemical engineers out there), but it seems to extract less acid, break down the complex coffee flavor less

I make a concentrate in a french press in the evening, press and pour it into a travel mug in the morning.
Add boiling water to bring the heat up and adjust strength.
In the summer time add ice water for a great iced coffee.

Cold press avoids changing the coffee chemicals that we have learned to love...
Chemical & Engineering News: Science & Technology - Tweaking Coffee's Flavor Chemistry
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by molof View Post
six cups a day

Found that a 12 hour cold brew yields a coffee with very mellow/smooth flavor. Same idea as drip coffee with hot water (slow vs. fast extraction for the chemical engineers out there), but it seems to extract less acid, break down the complex coffee flavor less

I make a concentrate in a french press in the evening, press and pour it into a travel mug in the morning.
Add boiling water to bring the heat up and adjust strength.
In the summer time add ice water for a great iced coffee.

Cold press avoids changing the coffee chemicals that we have learned to love...
Chemical & Engineering News: Science & Technology - Tweaking Coffee's Flavor Chemistry
Thanks. That sounds useful. Can you describe the process a bit more and include your 'recipe' for the cold press?

Cold Brew
Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #127

Cold Brew

Quote:
Thanks. That sounds useful. Can you describe the process a bit more and include your 'recipe' for the cold press?
I put four scoops of coffee, about one ounce of grounds, into a half a cup of water, or enough water to fully wet all coffee grounds and add some extra. Don't measure it out, so don't know the exact amount I put in... I then stir it until the grounds don't float anymore.

After that I cover it and set it on the counter or the fridge overnight. The next day I use the press filter to push the grounds to the bottom and pour off the concentrate to my travel mug and fill it up with boiling water.

I like my coffee strong, so you will have to adjust the concentrate to your taste, but this is good for a cup or two of coffee. (Depending on size)

Search for "cold brew" in Google, there are lots of ways to do it...

I found it best for me to make a concentrate that is enough for one serving, there are plenty of sites that promote using more producing a concentrate that lasts a week, but I have "overdosed" on that. It is a little harder to regulate, got a bit of the jitters once when I did not portion it out properly.

Cold-Brew Iced Coffee Concentrate - Bon Appétit
How To Make Amazing Cold Brew Coffee - Business Insider
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #128

Quote:

I've been using the Aeropress for years and very pleased with it.

Pros: Low price, easy to customize (coffee strength, temperature) to exactly what you want, easy cleanup, filters cheap.
Cons: Built more for single use although I do get 2 big cups by reusing the coffee grounds twice. The rubber gasket at the end of the plunger stops sealing after awhile (~2 years) and will need to be replaced. Tip: never store the plunger in the chamber or the rubber gasket will need to be replaced a lot sooner. Last year I ordered 2 rubber gaskets directly from Aerobie for $5 (including shipping), should last awhile, easy to replace.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Stop the presses! Hold the calls! Forget about the World Cup, Insurgents in Iraq, Ukrainian sovereignty and global warming. Here is the real news of the day;

Italian Coffee in Space: ISSpresso Machine to Travel to International Space Station | ITALY Magazine

Fresh espresso coffee will soon be available on your next visit to the International Space Station (ISS). They call it ISSpresso.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Fresh espresso coffee will soon be available on your next visit to the International Space Station (ISS). They call it ISSpresso.
I bet a shot in low earth orbit costs more than one at Starbucks.

Still, I can't see getting through the day without a double shot to kickstart me.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote