Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many cups/mugs of coffee do you drink each day?
I don't drink coffee and I am retired. 12 8.05%
1-2 cups and I am retired 51 34.23%
3-5 cups and I am retired 28 18.79%
over 5 cups and I am retired 6 4.03%
I don't drink coffee and I am not retired. 7 4.70%
1-2 cups and I am not retired 18 12.08%
3-5 cups and I am not retired 24 16.11%
over 5 cups and I am not retired 3 2.01%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The problem here, as I see it, is the definition of a cup.
I use a fairly good sized mug for my coffee, and I'm never sure how to equate that quantity with undefined "cups."

95% of the time when discussing liquids, we think of a cup as 8 ounces.
But coffeemakers are always calibrated in "coffee cups" which, as far as I can tell, is approximately 5 ounces.

OK, all that said, I've consumed the same amount of coffee for the last 20 years, so there was no change when I retired. It's three of my mugs, which is about 40 ounces.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

All the answers would be wrong for me..especially since you asked in July and at94degrees and muggy.
At work I drank coffee all.day.long. I was next to the kitchen and would get up from my desk and pour another cup 10 times a hour/I mean day. Now I make a pot of coffee maybe once a week. But I drink the whole pot. And in the summer I don't even do that.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
If your goal was to see the effects of retirement on coffee drinking, I don't think your poll will do it. You will end up with populations that are:

NOT retired, that drink coffee.
NOT retired that don't drink coffee.
Retired, that drink coffee.
Retired that don't drink coffee.

And none of them address the people who have transitioned from a working life to retirement, which I think is your population of interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The problem here, as I see it, is the definition of a cup.
If anyone fails to understand why we can't get agreement on how to define net worth, paying off the mortgage early or which way is up, please see above.

PS: That rain shower has turned into a downpour!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I drink about two cups every morning - same as when I was working. I rarely drink it at night. I used to like a cup after dinner but that cup was always with a cigarette. I quit the evening coffee 30 years ago when I quit smoking.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm surprised (shocked, actually) you haven't head about someone coming up with the neat little idea of an automatic coffee maker, complete with a timer!
Ack! A timer implies a regular schedule.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hey, I think it's raining!
Yeah, that coffee goes right through you .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Ack! A timer implies a regular schedule.
One more "hint from Heloise": set the timer for noon. You can always hit the 'start' button if you stumble into the kitchen earlier...

Old 07-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I drink about two cups every morning - same as when I was working. I rarely drink it at night. I used to like a cup after dinner but that cup was always with a cigarette. I quit the evening coffee 30 years ago when I quit smoking.
Boy, that is the same for me and I had completely forgotten about that after dinner coffee and cigarette. All my working life I had probably four cups a day. Two in the morning with a cigarette(s) and one at night with a cigarette(s). That all stopped in 1986 when I quit smoking. Never gave up coffee but my ritual remains about the same except for the cup at night. That was replaced by a gin and tonic. My Keurig coffee brewer comes on at 6:30AM. Always have a cup by 7AM to watch the morning news on TV and then have a second cup by 8AM. That's when "she that must be obeyed" takes over the TV. I head to the computer. Shortly thereafter, I pour us both a glass of orange juice to go with our meds and I read the paper. This has become habit forming.

I'll bet that if another poll was taken (hint W2R), that a lot of coffee drinking is done out of habit and not addiction (?) or the fact they love coffee.

Note: "she that must be obeyed" is a phrase I borrowed from David Fehertey, the Golf Magazine writer.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I attribute this being fairly dysfunctional for the 15 minutes after rising. The idea of grinding beans, finding filters, filling water reservoirs and then navigating the menu on the coffee maker is more than I am willing to deal with.
My wife is a complete loss until after her second cup, and woe to the person who doesn't have the coffee freshly brewed for her at 5:40am. While I can function early on, it's still more convenient to use an automatic machine. I set this,Amazon.com: Cuisinart DTC-975BKN Programmable Automatic Brew-and-Serve 12-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker, Black: Kitchen & Dining, up the night before, the minor downside being that grinding several hours before brewing might lose a little flavor.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Yep, it sure does. Makes your my pee smell funny like coffee, too...

Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
As they say, you can only rent coffee and beer.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If anyone fails to understand why we can't get agreement on how to define net worth, paying off the mortgage early or which way is up, please see above.

PS: That rain shower has turned into a downpour!
The most exquisite folly is made from wisdom spun too fine. Benjamin Franklin

Having done a few well intended polls that went off into the weeds, I can sympathize...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #33

The contractor where I am stationed as a gov guy provides coffee for free, so I normally have one cup for sure, and about 1/2 the time, I go for a 2nd cup. My cup holds 15 oz. though, so I don't know if it counts as one cup or two, seeing as how the typically accepted measurement for a cup is 8 oz. My co-worker's cup is even bigger, I think maybe 20 oz! Tomorrow, he's bringing us some Cinnabuns....might be a 2 cupper...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Boy, that is the same for me and I had completely forgotten about that after dinner coffee and cigarette. All my working life I had probably four cups a day. Two in the morning with a cigarette(s) and one at night with a cigarette(s). That all stopped in 1986 when I quit smoking.
You just made me remember how much I loved smoking with coffee, even 30 years after quitting.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #35

When working I used to drink coffee all day long - expresso, because I lived in South America. At the peak, probably 15 a day, more when I had dinner engagements.

Now I have one large serving in the morning (between 12 -16 oz) and one double expresso (Nespresso) in the afternoon. The coffee (Peet's Sulawesi) is ground fresh (Breville Smart Grinder) before brewing and I use a thermal mug (REI) so it stays warm as I enjoy it. Together with the morning paper, it's the ideal combination. The hour or so it consumes every morning is the one single reason I could never go back to work.

Sorry for boring everyone with the details. Morning coffee is so good, I just can't keep it to myself.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I drank four or five cups a day before I retired, now it's 2-3. Most always have 2 cups in the morning and not unusual to have a cup in the afternoon around 4 or 5 pm. We have a machine the makes it a cup at a time (grinds the beans and then brews a cup) in about 30 seconds and the coffee is the best we've ever had. Machine was ridiculously expensive (don't ask, lol) even at half price but it sure makes a good cup of coffee, latte, expresso, or whatever.

I most enjoy my second cup of coffee in the morning sitting on the screened porch when the weather permits.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

2 - 3 Mugs during the morning. Used to drink lots, lots more when working. I drink coffee because I like it, not to keep me awake.

Queenie
Old 07-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #38

I have 2-3 6 oz cups each morning made with 2/3 regular coffee and 1/3 decaf. I sometimes have a small cup later in the day of decaf. When I retired I thought I would be drinking more coffee but with acid reflux and osteopenia, I cut way back on coffee. I no longer have acid reflux due to more careful management of acidic and alkaline foods and lost some weight too.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #39

Semi-retired and I've never had a cup of coffee. Tasted it maybe 40 some years ago and didn't like it. Cokes and diet cokes are my problem.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I drink infinitely more coffee since I've retired. I drank none when I was working and now I drink one 16 oz cup a day. I guess that makes me a coffee fiend since my consumption has gone up infinitely

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote