Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many cups/mugs of coffee do you drink each day?
I don't drink coffee and I am retired. 12 8.05%
1-2 cups and I am retired 51 34.23%
3-5 cups and I am retired 28 18.79%
over 5 cups and I am retired 6 4.03%
I don't drink coffee and I am not retired. 7 4.70%
1-2 cups and I am not retired 18 12.08%
3-5 cups and I am not retired 24 16.11%
over 5 cups and I am not retired 3 2.01%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Coffee and Retirement
Old 07-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Coffee and Retirement

I always thought that when I retired, I'd drink fewer cups of coffee than I do today. I thought I was drinking the coffee to give me the energy to make it through yet another tough work day. But now that I am retired, I drink the same amount of coffee (1-2 cups in my case) even though I sleep late and spend the day relaxing and having fun.

How many cups/mugs of coffee do you drink each day? Are you retired?

I'll let you use your own definitions of "cups" and "retired". If you consider yourself to be retired, you are.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Other than the occasional latte out (once a week or so), I drank 2 cups/day before retiring and still do, no more no less. Was I supposed to change my daily ration?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Other than the occasional latte out (once a week or so), I drank 2 cups/day before retiring and still do, no more no less. Was I supposed to change my daily ration?
The purpose of the poll is to find out how much coffee we (as a group, not as individuals) drink before and after ER, not tell you what you should do. As for what you are supposed to do, I guess soul searching, religion, or consulting your doctor would give you an answer but I sure don't have one for you.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I drink more cups now that I am retired than when I was working probably because I have more free time. When I tallied my coffee expense for last year, I found out that it is a considerable portion of our food/grocery expense. This year, I made a new expense category just for coffee and budgeted $40/month and may have to adjust it upwards because coffee prices has gone up and still going up. I use the K-cups.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

3-5 mugs, retired.

I continue to drink a fair amount of coffee (black, without sweetener), partly because I like it, and partly as a substitute for things I could be drinking that have more calories. I never did drink coffee for energy or to stay awake.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #6

I drink 2-3 cups most mornings, but often drank twice that amount prior to ER.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Still working, and I drink 3-4 mugs each morning. However, I do this even when I'm on vacation. I very much enjoy coffee while reading the morning newspaper, and I also occasionally enjoy a cup in the evening after a nice meal. I don't see this changing after retiring.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #8

W2R, I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be critical, in fact I'm really quite hesitant to post this...

If your goal was to see the effects of retirement on coffee drinking, I don't think your poll will do it. You will end up with populations that are:

NOT retired, that drink coffee.
NOT retired that don't drink coffee.
Retired, that drink coffee.
Retired that don't drink coffee.

And none of them address the people who have transitioned from a working life to retirement, which I think is your population of interest.

Sorry

But it may be interesting to read the comments
Old 07-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
But it may be interesting to read the comments
My purpose was not to design a scientific experiment to find out if individuals drink less after retirement than they did before. (I edited/clarified my post above since it was misunderstood.) The purpose of the poll is to find out how much coffee our retired members and non-retired members drink, in general.

Personally I think the poll and the comments are both interesting, but if you don't you are perfectly welcome to piss on my thread not participate.

I am surprised that so far, only 3 non-retired members have voted although 13 retired members have done so.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... you are perfectly welcome to piss on my thread not participate.
Hey, I think it's raining!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hey, I think it's raining!
Where's my umbrella?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am surprised that so far, only 3 non-retired members have voted although 13 retired members have done so.
Retirees have more free time. They are probably in front of the computer, sipping coffee and surfing the web and visiting forums.

Non-retirees are probably in front of the computer, may or not be sipping coffee and looking at the work related data or writing/editing codes. Some may be able to sneak and surf the web.

I am sure you will have more response from them when they get back from work.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
Administrator

Shamefully, I must admit to being a 'taker' in the coffee department. If the coffee is made and hot, I'll drink a couple of mugs. If the coffee is not already made, I'll nuke a cup of water, add a tea bag and get on with my day.

I attribute this being fairly dysfunctional for the 15 minutes after rising. The idea of grinding beans, finding filters, filling water reservoirs and then navigating the menu on the coffee maker is more than I am willing to deal with.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Shamefully, I must admit to being a 'taker' in the coffee department. If the coffee is made and hot, I'll drink a couple of mugs. If the coffee is not already made, I'll nuke a cup of water, add a tea bag and get on with my day.

I attribute this being fairly dysfunctional for the 15 minutes after rising. The idea of grinding beans, finding filters, filling water reservoirs and then navigating the menu on the coffee maker is more than I am willing to deal with.
I just use those Maxwell House coffee bags. Not the finest coffee in the world, but fast and with a little fresh creamer it's not bad either. In my case, there's only one of me in my house so that's pretty easy.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
Retirees have more free time. They are probably in front of the computer, sipping coffee and surfing the web and visiting forums.

Non-retirees are probably in front of the computer, may or not be sipping coffee and looking at the work related data or writing/editing codes. Some may be able to sneak and surf the web.

I am sure you will have more response from them when they get back from work.
Good point. Hopefully more will vote as the day progresses.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I love coffee. I almost always have one plus cups in the morning with my paper (I love newspapers too). I do find if I drink any beverage with caffeine much after noon that I cannot sleep at night, though it's hard for me to remember and I find myself smacking myself after an iced tea or diet coke with dinner.

Thanks a latte for the poll, W2R!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I have never enjoyed the taste of straight black coffee (plus it gives me heartburn) so I never drank coffee while I was working.

But a few months ago, I found a can of Cafe du Monde's "Coffee and Chicory" at my grocery store and I am rediscovering the pleasures of cafe au lait. The taste brings back all kinds of good memories. I probably wouldn't take the time to prepare it if I was still working though.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I'm surprised (shocked, actually) you haven't head about someone coming up with the neat little idea of an automatic coffee maker, complete with a timer! No more dysfunctional fumbling around in the morning - at least not when it comes to making coffee.

Of course it does involve dysfunctional fumbling around before you go to bed...
Old 07-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I've tried coffee once, maybe twice, in my life.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #20

I lie between two of the options, being a 2-3 cup a day drinker - and semi-retired.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote