Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many cups/mugs of coffee do you drink each day?
I don't drink coffee and I am retired. 12 8.05%
1-2 cups and I am retired 51 34.23%
3-5 cups and I am retired 28 18.79%
over 5 cups and I am retired 6 4.03%
I don't drink coffee and I am not retired. 7 4.70%
1-2 cups and I am not retired 18 12.08%
3-5 cups and I am not retired 24 16.11%
over 5 cups and I am not retired 3 2.01%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Coffee contract here at MegaCorp was put out for bid. The low bidder that won, makes the coffee synthetically using an industrial process and then ships the coffee to us through a lead pipe where it is then heated by direct combustion here at our facility. The actual process is secret but is believed to involve concentrates derived form leftover wash rags and stale bread mold.

When we want a cup we make sure that the pot isn't still aflame. Then we let it sit for an hour or two - just to be sure.

Anyway, it's not very good but it's free, So we all drink lots of it.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I used to chug coffee all day long at work to stay awake and to keep up my core temperature.

In ER I start the same wakeup routine I had during my working years: two cups of green tea followed by 2-3 cups of Kona. However now I have to make sure I'm done by 9 AM or the caffeine might interfere with my after-lunch nap.

If I'm not going to get a nap that day then I'll swill coffee all morning and up to around 4 PM. I particularly enjoy it with lunch.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #43

I drink two cups of black coffee at home every morning, both before I leave for work M-F and also on the week-end. That is generally it for the rest of the day. If I don't have my morning coffee I feel very deprived.

Every once in a great while I will have a cup of coffee later in the day if I meet up with a friend somewhere for a social visit (I like a skinny latte then, or an Americano). And I will occasionally drink a cup of decaf after a restaurant meal if my dining companion(s) want to linger over a coffee or have dessert. But it is more to keep them company than actually desiring a cup of coffee then.

A friend recently made a trip "home" to Louisiana. She brought me back some of her favorite Community brand coffee (no chicory). It is very good!
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I drink better coffee at home now that I'm retired than I ever had at work, because I have time to freshly grind beans and use a Chemex coffee pot (you hand pour the boiled water yourself and allow the coffee to "bloom" after the first pour). But just the same, I drink about the same amount as I did at work. At work, it was to keep alert. At home, it is for pure joy (and because I'm happily addicted to caffeine).
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't vote because there isn't an option that fits my habits: coffee is a treat or comfort food, drunk about 1-2 times a week, not on any regular schedule. With the amounts of sugar and creamer I add, it's more like candy.
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
...it's more like candy.
Ever try chocolate covered coffee beans (my choice, dark chocolate with Kona beans)?

BTW, I still drink the same amount of coffee as when I was still gainfully employed - one 4-cup carafe (or two mugs) with a Mr. Coffee and Folgers "Black Silk". Good enough for my simple taste.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Five plus cups a day, with a splash of heavy cream. For the anal retentive, that's 54 ounces...

Expect to consume similar amounts in retirement.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

My favorite time of day is getting up 2 (or 3) hours later than when I was working and putting on a pot of coffee then sitting on the front porch with said coffee and smoking a Marlboro and thinking about my plans for the day. And also visualizing being forty miles north of here at work. Very, very satisfying. As for the poll, I still drink about the same amount I just like it more.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I'm against altering my conciousness or physical condition in any way. Or, is that...wait...nevermind.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #50

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #51

I'm retired. I drink more than five cups of stong, black coffee every day to be able to stay awake until bedtime.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
The Coffee contract here at MegaCorp was put out for bid. The low bidder that won, makes the coffee synthetically using an industrial process and then ships the coffee to us through a lead pipe where it is then heated by direct combustion here at our facility. The actual process is secret but is believed to involve concentrates derived form leftover wash rags and stale bread mold.

When we want a cup we make sure that the pot isn't still aflame. Then we let it sit for an hour or two - just to be sure.

Anyway, it's not very good but it's free, So we all drink lots of it.
We had the same vendor!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #53

2-3 large mugs black with a half teaspoon of buckwheat honey. Two as I play on the computer over breakfast, and one later. The last may be iced coffee if it is hot out. Good buckwheat honey is getting hard to find.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #54

One time I tried switching to tea because I "thought it was better for me." That didn't last long....

I revere my morning ritual of coffee and contemplation. In the summer time I love to sit on the porch with my trusty coffee mug and listen to the birds, and meditate on the drama in the flower/herb bed. Two humming birds come most days and check on the foxgloves. DH put out a funky birdbath - on an old telephone wire spool - but, it works. There is a deer family that lives in the copse of trees over there, and a noisy family of foxes that dwell over yonder. Time to get out my paints.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Never drank even a sip of coffee. Never had any interest in it.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R,
Interesting poll. It looks like your original hypothesis that you would drink less coffee after retirement seems to be supported for the poll responders in general. Pre retirement coffee drinkers skew toward 3-5 cups. Post retirement coffee drinkers skew toward 1-3.
I think you are "on the mark" that pre- retirement coffee drinkers self medicate!
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #57

Life is too precious for bad coffee. It is my deeply enjoyed LBYM extravagance.

Using the five oz cup measure, I am the one who consumes five or more cups of Colombian ground coffee daily, four in my first mug. I don't go through the work of freshly ground, but I store the coffee grounds in the fridge to keep it from becoming stale.

I brew, then turn off the heat and pour into a thermos air pot. Saves energy and more importantly keeps the coffee from tasting burnt.

At MegaCorp that gets their coffee from from the cheapest vendor, I don't drink their swill. I bring in or make my own. At some point LBYM is just plain cheap. Drinking free lousy coffee is beyond the pale. Interestingly, my former managers refused to let my department have coffee, because it was against their (Morman) religious beliefs. They didn't fire me though. At least not yet.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Personally I think the poll and the comments are both interesting, but if you don't you are perfectly welcome to piss on my thread not participate.

Geeze, W2R, I was trying to be helpful, and I thought I did it in a nice way. Sorry if my message didn't come across right.

From REW's comments, I'm now wondering, did I miss something about polls? Has poll-shooting become an Olympic Sport here at er.org? I would never be able to make the Olympic team... what a defeatist attitude I'm showing... I should be saying that I could aspire for at least a Bronze

Anyway W2R, I'm sorry
Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
One time I tried switching to tea because I "thought it was better for me." That didn't last long....
I did this too and came back to coffee. Coffee (caffeinated or decaf, doesn't matter) gives me mild IBS symptoms and tea doesn't. But coffee is sooo much better. I know, too much information - sorry.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #60

Still drink the same 1 or 2 cups before and after retiring. The difference now is that the coffee I drink is black and tasty - I enjoy my coffee. Before retirement, I have to put milk in it to help my stomach make motion (sorry, if too much info) and coffee provided in office is not as tasty as the brew I make now at home. Retiring actually makes a difference in my coffee drinking!
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote