Coffee Maker Recommendation?

pfpelican

Recycles dryer sheets
DW cooked her coffee maker last weekend, so is in the market for a new one. She is interested in something that makes both regular coffee and latte, if that makes sense. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I buy inexpensive ones from Wal-Mart. (also try sam's or costco). They last years. Even inexpensive ones have timers if you want the coffee ready in the AM. I think I have a Mr. Coffee.

DW has a small four cup Mr. Coffee that she says makes better coffee when making only one cup, and an eight cup Gevalia for when we have visitors. Each cost about $3 and works well.

Each cost about $3 and works well.

Boy that's a good buy ! I seem to get my coffee makers for maybe $15 or so on sale. I skip the very basic model to get one with a timer. They seem to go for a few years before either they have problems or they start looking very weather beaten.

For $3 maybe I could get a new one every year.

Forgot to mention: we got them at garage sales. I'd estimate that one out of every five garage sales has some kind of coffee making device.

What a great idea (buying coffee makers at garage sales)!

I like my Mr. Coffee (I think it's a 10 or 12 cup one, with a timer). The model that I got allows you to pour a cup before it's done brewing, on my way out the door, and also it will shut itself off after a couple of hours. The latter is great for those CRS moments at work (did I shut it off? Is it burning my house down?). I customarily shut it off by hand anyway, but that's a nice back-up.

But I paid more than $3 for it at Linens 'N' Things, even with a coupon! They are so overpriced. I don't recall how much I paid, but I would imagine it was more than $15. :confused:

It doesn't make a latte, either!

Forgot to mention: we got them at garage sales. I'd estimate that one out of every five garage sales has some kind of coffee making device.

Al, you're my hero in LBYM, and in being a parent. Where else can I find a guy who watches every penny when spending on himself, and writes check in excess of 20K annually to send his daughter to one of the best college? I have no doubt that in your daughter's eyes, you are bigger than g*d.

I have a Proctor-Silex that I think I bought for about $15 several years ago. It makes good coffee. I also have a Gevalia coffee maker that has all the bells and whistles, that I got for FREE! I just sent in the card we got in some junk mail, and they sent this really nice machine and 2 small packs of their coffee. A couple days after we received it, I called Gevalia and cancelled out of their program.

A guy I used to w*rk with used to send for the Gevalias at least once a year, and gave them to his kids and grandkids as gifts. ;)

I bought a 12 cup Mr. Coffee from Home Depot for $10 at an end of summer clearance deal....who would have thought!
As for the lattes...you can make the coffee, steam some milk....voila!

I have to confess I used to be the world's worst coffee maker until I got a cusinart grind & brew . The are a little bit pricey but worth every penney .

I don't want an espresso maker because I would be shaking like treeleaves in a storm by midafternoon. I am surrounded by really good coffee houses, so I go out for this.

Since I am single I prefer to make one cup at a time. There are cheap ways to do this I know. My way is not the cheapest, but it is very good and also handy. The Senseo coffee maker from Phillips. I got mine on sale at Target for about $40 as I remember. If you have a guest it will make two cups. Of course you can cycle it as often as you want. Just be sure there is water in the resevoir and a fresh pod in the maker.

With this you are never drinking stale or burned or cool coffee.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom