Join Early Retirement Today

Coffee spill in/on electronics
Old 06-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Coffee spill in/on electronics

Of course the is a purely HYPOTHETICAL question. If someone spilled coffee over a 4g usb modem, upon opening the case , traces of liquid found. ( device off at the time of incident ).

Just blow it out with compressed air and hail Mary OR try and wash in de-inoized water, then bake in the oven at lowest setting ?

Already did compressed air, haven't tried to power up yet.Still smells like coffee a little.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #2

I'd wash it out, lightly blow with compressed air (say 20 psi) and then let air dry over a few days. Perhaps park it in front of a dehumidifier for that time if you have one or an A/C vent.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Bury the gadget in rice. Leave it a couple of days. Rice is very dry and absorbe moist. This has worked for me when I spilled coffee on my phone.

I guess there are alternatives to the rice if you do not have any.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 on rice. Works wonders.

Don't do what DS did... he didn't have any rice handy so he used pastina (small noodles like in star soup).
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #5

Kind of leaning to wash with distilled water or alcohol , coffee residue is very corrosive. The rice should work quite well as a homemade descant. Will report back with or outcome.

Oh ya, when someone suggests " Lets go out to the patio, it's so nice right now" , don't try and carry 6 thing at the same time as a cup of coffee.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Kind of leaning to wash with distilled water or alcohol , coffee residue is very corrosive. The rice should work quite well as a homemade descant. Will report back with or outcome.
Are we talking black coffee, or cream and/or sugar?

Black coffee shouldn't be too bad (but it is acidic), but I'd still lean towards a distilled water or alc rinse.

Blow it out real good, then keep a fan on it for a day, then try the rice trick to get the last little droplets out.

My niece spilled soda into her laptop, didn't get it to me for several days (a week?). I took it apart, washed it with soap and lots of water, brushed it real good, (probably did an acl rinse, I don't recall), then did the air drying thing (didn't do the rice). I was pretty surprised when it actually powered up and seemed to work fine. Not sure how long she used it after that.

Quote:
Oh ya, when someone suggests " Lets go out to the patio, it's so nice right now" , don't try and carry 6 thing at the same time as a cup of coffee.
Hypothetically speaking that is?

-ERD50
Old 06-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Are we talking black coffee, or cream and/or sugar?

Black coffee shouldn't be too bad (but it is acidic), but I'd still lean towards a distilled water or alc rinse.............................

Hypothetically speaking that is?

-ERD50
Just Black coffee, if it had sugar and cream, I would have less confidence. Although it was Starbucks Pikes , my coffee snob brother thinks the stuff is akin to a toxic chemical.

P.S. the thing came apart easily, one screw, razor blade to pry open , 2 microscopic gold plated co-ax connectors for the antenna embedded in the case.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Coming from an electronics mfg guy, break it down to the PC board level. Wash the PCB to get rid of the coffee residue. Regular sink water with a few drops of Dawn will work just fine. Not too much dish soap. Swish it around a bit to get rid of the coffee. Follow that with a tap water rinse. Follow that with a deionized rinse. Then either a day or two air dry or a low temp bake at, say 175 deg F, for about 10 minutes, assuming no batteries are in it.

I once washed the PCB's of a computer monitor that was in a building fire in the dishwasher to get rid of the smoke residue and smell!
Old 06-09-2015, 02:50 AM   #9

Back up and running , ok so far. Hardest part was re connecting the micro co ax plugs , and I had to heat the plastic back cover to get it snapped on.

If the thing croaks, no problem. Hundreds of them on e-bay $10-$20 used $40-$50 new.