Coffee - What is your favorite?

Wowser! I just got a can of Sam'sChoice(aka Walmart) 100% Columbian.

Maybe not Juan's - -a sister perhaps.
Can't wait to take the sack off.

Or can/should I?

heh heh heh

Once you've tasted really fresh coffee, it is very hard to swallow the stuff you get in cans. I buy freshly roasted whole beans (usually the same day they are roasted) in very small quantities (about a weeks worth) from Whole Foods market. They have a roasting machine right in the store. I prefer light roasts because they are the sweetest (yes, fresh coffee is sweet!) the dark roasts or French roast beans taste too burnt for my palate. Then when I want to enjoy a cup or two of coffee, I grind the beans coarsely with a home grinder, and brew the coffee in a french press.

For me, life is just too short to drink cheap beer or stale coffee! :)

As far as coffee brewing methods go, I highly recommend the AeroPress, which I heard about in another thread on this board. I was skeptical at first but it's turned out to be 100x better than the drip coffee at the office and is really conveinent if you only want to make a one or two cups at a time (it's not so good if you need to make a lot of coffee quickly). I drink the coffee straight, but it also works well in lattes and iced coffees.

Alex said:
Once you've tasted really fresh coffee, it is very hard to swallow the stuff you get in cans. I buy freshly roasted whole beans (usually the same day they are roasted) in very small quantities (about a weeks worth) from Whole Foods market. They have a roasting machine right in the store. I prefer light roasts because they are the sweetest (yes, fresh coffee is sweet!) the dark roasts or French roast beans taste too burnt for my palate. Then when I want to enjoy a cup or two of coffee, I grind the beans coarsely with a home grinder, and brew the coffee in a french press.

For me, life is just too short to drink cheap beer or stale coffee! :)

i saw on some food show that the light roasts have more caffeine - which i think is the opposite of what most people (including me) assumed - the darker roasts taste richer, but have less caffeine..

i had a french press but was never satisfied with how clean i could get the spring/strainer...but i guess that doesn't really matter too much...

it always astonished me how it would say "3 cup" or "5 cup" and was the size of one of my mugs :LOL: hehehe

bright eyed said:
i saw on some food show that the light roasts have more caffeine - which i think is the opposite of what most people (including me) assumed - the darker roasts taste richer, but have less caffeine..

i had a french press but was never satisfied with how clean i could get the spring/strainer...but i guess that doesn't really matter too much...

it always astonished me how it would say "3 cup" or "5 cup" and was the size of one of my mugs :LOL: hehehe
When I was in the Navy I drank coffee nonstop 24/7/365 - literally. I would drink 20 cups or more per day! A few years ago DW and I took a 6 week trip to Italy. The italians we met only had 1 coffee drink in the morning., usually a shot of espresso. Then another at lunch and sometimes another shot after dinner. So I started to emulate them and I cut way way back on my coffee consumption. Now I usually just enjoy my "3 cup" french press (about 16 ounces) of freshly brewed coffee in the am, and that's it. :) Although I do enjoy a shot of Sambuca in espresso from time to time after dinner!

whoa, that is a lot of coffee!!! i had a former boss who said she drank about 6-8 cups a day...after a point, doesn't it stop feeling any different at all?

did you have caffeine withdrawal headaches when you cut back? i get them if i don't have my morning cup by 10am :eek:

bright eyed said:
did you have caffeine withdrawal headaches when you cut back? i get them if i don't have my morning cup by 10am :eek:
The book "Caffeine Blues" can scare the heck out of you.

All the way back to 1-2 cups per day, anyway.

Man - I got to figure out how to get back to one pot a day!

heh heh heh :-X

bright eyed said:
whoa, that is a lot of coffee!!! i had a former boss who said she drank about 6-8 cups a day...after a point, doesn't it stop feeling any different at all?

Yeah. I had fierce headaches for about a week. But it was worth it to be free of the addiction. I still have coffee in the am and I enjoy it, but if I don't have a cup, I don't get a headache.... :)

Hmmm - the headaches show up sometimes just switching to de caf for a while.

heh heh heh :p :p

There has been a lot of discussion of various brands of coffee, but what is the opinion concerning arabica vs. robustica?

I'm hooked, but have cut back a lot since I quit (daily) work. Now it is 3-4 cups per day, it was 10-15 cups/day while in the USAF.

- I drink instant coffee (Folgers) almost exclusively when I'm home. It's good enough, and a fresh cup of instant tastes 10x better than drip coffee that's been on the warmer for 2 hours.

Fresh coffee in a thermos--stays great tasting all day. The warming plate turns it bitter and nasty in no time.

Coffee brands: Not picky. I've had some nasty generic stuff from Kroger, but most of the rest has been good enought to fill the square.

samclem said:
I'm hooked, but have cut back a lot since I quit (daily) work. Now it is 3-4 cups per day, it was 10-15 cups/day while in the USAF.

- I drink instant coffee (Folgers) almost exclusively when I'm home. It's good enough, and a fresh cup of instant tastes 10x better than drip coffee that's been on the warmer for 2 hours.

Fresh coffee in a thermos--stays great tasting all day. The warming plate turns it bitter and nasty in no time.

Coffee brands: Not picky. I've had some nasty generic stuff from Kroger, but most of the rest has been good enought to fill the square.

We have a MR Coffee with a thermos carafe. There is no heater, but it keeps the coffee warm for a few hours. This solves the problem you described.

chinaco said:
We have a MR Coffee with a thermos carafe. There is no heater, but it keeps the coffee warm for a few hours. This solves the problem you described.
What's the model number?

Does the coffee drip directly into the thermos carafe or do you have to transfer it from a brewing pot?

1 cup of skimmed milk heated in the microwave for 2 minutes then add 1 teaspoon of Cafe Bustelo Espresso and 1 teaspoon of sweetner.

I love iced coffee.

OK, I quickly skimmed thru and didn't see Tim Horton's mentioned. Pretty much every Canadian is addicted to Tim Hortons up here including myself. Tim Hortons is now in the U.S. but I think mainly in the northern part for now, but they have big expansion plans for the US.

Since Dory appears to be on extended leave, I thought I'd slip in a method he uses and other forum members have sucessfully copied...

dory36 said:
In the early 90s, we were staying on a boat, and the host served excellent coffee with breakfast. I saw her pour this syrup into a cup and add boiling water to make it. I had to know.

She sent us to "toddy coffee" at http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67 (well, then it was a phone call).

Basically, you put cheap coffee and water in a container for 12 hours, then pull the plug at the bottom and let the liquid drain through a 1/2" thick filter. They say 16 oz of coffee and fill with water -- we find that 13 oz (as it comes from Walmart) works fine.

You end up with a concentrate. You mix it with 3 or 4 parts boiling water when it is time to serve. The syrup keeps for a few weeks in the fridge (unless the fridge belongs to th).

We've been doing it ever since.

Basically, you end up with coffee much lower in acids due to the process, instead of having to buy premium coffees to get the same thing. (The taste doesn't get noticably better with premium coffee, either.)

Also, a good part of the caffeine is lost in the process. Not decaf, but probably like a 50-50 mix of decaf and regular. But read the linked page for details. Also at http://www.toddycafe.com/cbinfo/secret.php

The taste and price are great -- but also, you just use what you need, and prepare cups the way you would prepare instant. So you never make too much or too little.

Your coffee may vary, but about 1 in 3 guests who stayed with us wound up buying one of these over the past 10 years.

CheapCoffee36

CFB, I might order one of those toddy cafe things. Maybe I can still have my coffee after all. Looks promising.

It looks like they're sold out of a few retail outlets (see their web page), including Cost Plus World Market...I have one of those up the street, may drop in and check it out.

Anyone ever tried doing it with stuff they already have, like just 'brewing' it in a tupperware and then pouring the result through some cheesecloth over a mesh strainer?

Back
Top Bottom