Join Early Retirement Today

Collectables?
Old 06-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Collectables?

I've been collecting maps for several years - mostly antique maps and road maps. Now I've started collecting antique woodworking tools. The (foldable) maps are easy to store, but this tool collection hobby could become a problem.

So what do you collect?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quality statues and maquettes of characters or creatures from shows, comics, and games I like. They're my version of framed art on the walls.

Firearms would be another category. The ones I collect fall strictly into the Rule of Cool, and ones that fall into featuring in the kind of entertainment I like too.

Classic and historically important computer games. The cheapest collection on a per unit basis, but with so many out there, I've spent about as much as my other collections.

Money. I really, really like collecting money.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I used to collect un-built (in the box) radio control model airplane kits from the 1960's/1970's and earlier. But I liquidated the collection when eBay became a vehicle to sell collectibles. I did keep a select few.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About 7-10 years ago, I finally obtained the few missing cards from two Topps baseball card sets I began collecting in the 1970s when I was a kid. Those two sets were the 1973 and 1974 cards. In 2007 I completed the 1974 set and in 2010 I completed the 1973 set.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Vintage guitars
treeofpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I wish I would have taken care of my baseball cards when I was a kid. I probably used a valuable card as a noise maker in the spokes of my bike.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mine lamps, in particular US used flame safety lamps.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I still have my cards from the Big 4 sports. I wouldn't say that I collect anymore, I just have them and once in awhile I do some organizing.

My current collection is liquor, mostly bourbon. I drink it on occasion, but like to collect different bottles.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I've been collecting maps for several years - mostly antique maps and road maps. Now I've started collecting antique woodworking tools. The (foldable) maps are easy to store, but this tool collection hobby could become a problem.

So what do you collect?
I don't collect anything at all. I generally joke that somehow I missed getting the "collecting gene".

--- Admiral David Farragut during the battle of Mobile Bay, paraphrased
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

When I was 10 years old, my aunt gave me a Waterford crystal glass as a birthday present. I collected about 50 pieces over the next 20 years. The biggest piece is a 10" salad bowl that was a gift from colleagues at work. My collection has followed me around the world and so far, I have broken only one glass, while washing it in the kitchen sink. I have not added to the collection in 30 years, but I still enjoy using it when I have guests to dinner, and occasionally to make myself feel special.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Use to collect lots of things when I was younger. Have given most of it away to de-clutter and simplify my life. Then again, several different arts and crafts have taken their place, so maybe not as much decluttering and simplifying as I thought.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I wish I would have taken care of my baseball cards when I was a kid. I probably used a valuable card as a noise maker in the spokes of my bike.
Yeah....my mint condition (read once and put away) Spiderman comic collection (#3-61) "disappeared" while I was at college. Parents relocated twice during that time and pleaded ignorance. Younger brother and sisters also pleaded the fifth.

Last I checked, I was out tens of thousands of dollars on that one.....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Numismatics here. Although I have not purchased a coin in a few years, I would like to continue this hobby. My main focus has been US half dollars, proof sets, and US cents.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:12 AM   #14

A number of things but my prize collection is "years". I have well over 60 of them now and I hope to collect 100 of them, by the time I'm done, but only if in good condition. Some of my past years that I collected weren't the "best" but I'm stuck with them now.

My best ones "so far" are #1, #26, #35, and #60.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

A friend of mine works in fused glass, and I recently bought a sushi set from him (plates, soy sauce bowls, chopstick rests, etc.). Another friend was cleaning out an old storage locker and gave me some of her old soy sauce bowls and chop stick rests. I think I've started to collect sushi paraphernalia.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't collect anything at all. I generally joke that somehow I missed getting the "collecting gene".

The only thing I collect right now is 20's. They lay flat, stack easily and if needed can be easily converted into services or goods.

Years ago I accidentally became a teacup collector. My mother-in-law gave me a couple of her older ones when they moved and then other people added to my "collection". I didn't really treasure them, I was more of the custodian. I finally gave them to some nieces, which kept them in the family.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Still have my coin collection from when I was a kid. Maybe a couple of gems in there, but not worth mush other then the memories. It is the only item other than pictures a manage to keep from my childhood. I did not collect anything in adult years. Thought about picking up coin collecting again, but too many other things occupy my time right now.
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Me too - not particularly interested in collecting. Although, my attic certainly IS full of junk, if that counts
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Years ago I collected Little Soul Dolls but I have sold most of them since I lost interest .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600little souls.jpg (182.0 KB, 17 views)
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #20

I have a few old radios laying around but these two are my favorites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transoceanic.jpg (179.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg AW23 CGS Front.jpg (512.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg AW23 CGS Inside.jpg (469.0 KB, 24 views)