Join Early Retirement Today

Collections
Old 10-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Collections

Wonder what all people collect? Been a few years since we were hot and heavy into one of our passions - tribal weavings. Just ran across a thumb drive with a bunch of photos of our collection of worn out beat-up old beauties. Threw the pictures (226!) up on Photobucket, so if you have the hots to see a bunch of primarily Caucasian rugs check it out:

RUGS by Tom Walrod | Photobucket

calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

we have several rugs that look almost identical to those - took one to antiques road show
Old 10-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have several Caucasion rugs purchased from a Salvation Army as is store for next to nothing in the late 60s and early 70s.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I have several Caucasion rugs purchased from a Salvation Army as is store for next to nothing in the late 60s and early 70s.

Would love to see pics of anyone's rugs - might be able to give some information on them. The one rug I would grab in case the house was burning down cost me $60. We have others that cost stupid money, but money doesn't really relate to value when it comes to things of beauty.

Edit: my favorite Worn Old Beauty prayer rug with akstafa bird.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful rugs. Works of art. Our small town has a large oriental rug dealer that stocks 2500 rugs--new and old.

We have 3-4 nice rugs, but not of that caliper. When we went overseas recently, our daughter was supposed to be watching out for our cat--and didn't. The cat urinated on a really nice wool manmade rug. I tried to get the smells out--to no avail.

We were keeping our daughter's year old rottweiler recently. We came back after being gone 2 hours to find a 12'x15' living room rug ripped to shreds. Needless to say, the dog is banished from our house in the future.

I would be very hesitant to have any heirloom rugs in my house with any pets--or grandkids.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Would love to see pics of anyone's rugs - might be able to give some information on them. The one rug I would grab in case the house was burning down cost me $60. We have others that cost stupid money, but money doesn't really relate to value when it comes to things of beauty.

Edit: my favorite Worn Old Beauty prayer rug with akstafa bird.

I have my rugs in storage since i don't have room to display them. May get them out and photograph later.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I have my rugs in storage since i don't have room to display them. May get them out and photograph later.
As you know, storage of wool items is scary moth larvae-wise. We have lost a few things to moths (my Dad's wolf pelt mittens from Alaska, gal's Grandmother's rug) and regret it. Moths don't care for sunlight of freezing temperatures. Some of our pictures were taken while we were baking both sides of the rugs in the summer sun for a couple days. Another good trick to kill the moth larvae is to stick the rug in the freezer for a few days.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

LPs and swords.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
As you know, storage of wool items is scary moth larvae-wise. We have lost a few things to moths (my Dad's wolf pelt mittens from Alaska, gal's Grandmother's rug) and regret it. Moths don't care for sunlight of freezing temperatures. Some of our pictures were taken while we were baking both sides of the rugs in the summer sun for a couple days. Another good trick to kill the moth larvae is to stick the rug in the freezer for a few days.
I check my storage on a fairly regular basis. A North Dakota winter takes care of the freezer part. That is one advantage of severe winters we don't have termites, carpenter ants, or any other of several destructive insect pests. Also no venemous snakes.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #10

Old cars. Currently 8: 1937, 1937, 1938, 1949, 1952, 1955, 1963, 1968; most run and drive. Looking forward to retirement when I can spend a lot more garage time. Old cars can take a lot of time and money.

I seem to be pretty good at collecting old car parts as well

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post

Been there, done that too!
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Old cars. Currently 8: 1937, 1937, 1938, 1949, 1952, 1955, 1963, 1968; most run and drive. Looking forward to retirement when I can spend a lot more garage time. Old cars can take a lot of time and money.

Noticed the picture of your little camper van with the 1/4 size GMC hot wheels pickup. Oh wait - that was a full size PU being towed by a mondo-condo truckasaurus! Are you GM all the way in your collection? I'm guessing you have a decent sized steel building to house them and keep the NM parts pickers off your lot.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wonder what all people collect?
Nothing? I think I got skipped over when the collector genes were being handed out.

I do have some video games, but that's because I like playing them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I use to have over 300 little houses for my miniature Christmas village. Last Christmas I gave them all away to my nieces. All part of my too much clutter, time to get rid of 'stuff' mentality. No regrets. It's not the first collection I've disposed of.

My mother passed along to me her Scrooge collection. They were more difficulty to find than snowmen or Santas so she always enjoyed the challenge of growing the collection. I still have that collection -- for now.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #15

I should say that the rugs I have turned out to be nothing worth very much money; there was a reason they were in a Salvation Army as is store. When I bought them I was fresh out of school in my first job and rented the top half of a 100 year old duplex. I was just buying floor covering. It was much later that I was informed what they were but there is not much value. My whole part of that house was furnished in early Salvation Army.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Nothing? I think I got skipped over when the collector genes were being handed out.
I do have some video games, but that's because I like playing them.
+1 This is me also, although the wife did manage to get me to get rid of many of my really old games that I never play anymore and were just taking up space in "her" closet!
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a Augusta National/Masters room in my house. I enjoy golf and that tourney. Just a couple of pics.

Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Wonder what all people collect?
According to DW, what I collect is dust, mostly....
Old 10-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Noticed the picture of your little camper van with the 1/4 size GMC hot wheels pickup. Oh wait - that was a full size PU being towed by a mondo-condo truckasaurus! Are you GM all the way in your collection? I'm guessing you have a decent sized steel building to house them and keep the NM parts pickers off your lot.
Kind of mixed on the old cars as for mfr:
1937 Chevy Ute (utility coupe from Australia, built by Holden under GM)
1937 Ford Ute (Ford Australia)
1938 Chevy 2 dr sedan
1949 Ford COE (my avatar pic)
1952 GMC pickup
1955 Studebaker coupe (future land speed race car project, does not run, and is just a rolling shell with no drivetrain at all)
1963 Dodge Town Wagon 4x4 (Dodge version of a Suburban, does not run)
1968 Pontiac GTO (have had for 36 years!)

So that makes 4 GM, 2 Ford, 1 Dodge, 1 Studebaker

I could use more garage space, but have a 26x48 detached stick built garage along with 2 car attached garage on house. Plus a couple carports to provide cover for other vehicles. I have several big dogs and 2.5 acres to keep people away, and a S&W security system as back-up.

What is not so good on the car parts, I have parts collected for future projects that the frame/body does not exist yet

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I got rid of my collection of Astounding Science Fiction decades ago. Later I disposed of Byte magazine (I kept the first issue) and more later Hydrocarbon Processing.

What remains is an unequaled private library relating to chemical engineering--that nobody wants.

I have only a few SF classics that my son will discard, I am sure.

I have been collecting experiences since.

But, if I had Jay Lenos' $$$, I would collect a few wheels myself. Just a few.

I love kinetic sculpture but I don't have to own it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app