Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational
What would your mom say about that comment? Back in the day, people here were at least passive-agressive, hehe. I only mentioned my hick school because I thought the "Gator" in your ID had something to do with UF.

My comment was an attempt at humor. Sorry if it got under your skin.
I am a Gator. They have lost their way in recent years. Because they now have great sport teams they are popular with the kids and are now highly selective and attract the highest achieving students. Unfortunately, their education hasn't kept pace with their athletics and a whole lot of talent is wasted on them. Sorry, my comments were not directed to you personally.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The problems lie in many places.

One is the irrational exuberance that most schools exhibited in the rush to capitalize on the "necessity" of higher educations.

A small example. My college tuition in 1954 was $800/yr... rather high at the time. Inflation would bring that to $7000/yr. today. The actual tuition cost now, is $43,000.

In the interim, the school, like almost all schools, has upgraded with new dorms, buildings, sports facilities, and all manner of extras, superflous to education per se. It is not only the capital expenditures, but the infrastructure ongoing costs that have caused this overwhelming structure for higher education.

A review of the capital improvement expenses in almost every school will show similar base expense increases.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
The problems lie in many places.

One is the irrational exuberance that most schools exhibited in the rush to capitalize on the "necessity" of higher educations.

A small example. My college tuition in 1954 was $800/yr... rather high at the time. Inflation would bring that to $7000/yr. today. The actual tuition cost now, is $43,000.

In the interim, the school, like almost all schools, has upgraded with new dorms, buildings, sports facilities, and all manner of extras, superflous to education per se. It is not only the capital expenditures, but the infrastructure ongoing costs that have caused this overwhelming structure for higher education.

A review of the capital improvement expenses in almost every school will show similar base expense increases.

This is not limited to colleges.... I was looking a person up at my son's high school... I was shocked to see that they have 11 vice principals and something like 20 counselors.... when I went to high school, there were 2 vice principals and 3 counselors... it was half as big, but still...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
This is not limited to colleges.... I was looking a person up at my son's high school... I was shocked to see that they have 11 vice principals and something like 20 counselors.... when I went to high school, there were 2 vice principals and 3 counselors... it was half as big, but still...
The school district one suburb away built a humongous, $60M football stadium recently. Wonder what their science labs look like?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

College costs have risen MUCH faster than the rate of inflation, yet I have seen no real study that tells me that overall student graduation rates or knowledge base is higher.

There is nothing wrong with being a pumber or electrician or diesel mechanic. I know a fair number of folks in the trades and most of them make a very nice living..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
College costs have risen MUCH faster than the rate of inflation, yet I have seen no real study that tells me that overall student graduation rates or knowledge base is higher.

There is nothing wrong with being a pumber or electrician or diesel mechanic. I know a fair number of folks in the trades and most of them make a very nice living..........
I know a couple of ladies in the trade...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #67

Student Loan defaults up 36% in one year.Student Loan Defaults Soar By 36% Compared To Year Ago | Zero Hedge

Quote:
The growing debacle that is the US student loan bubble - nearly the same size and severity as the Subprime crisis at its peak
Current student loans total nearly One Trillion Dollars.

Not too surprising since college costs have increased over
1,120 PERCENT in the past 30 years since 1978.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Student Loan defaults up 36% in one year.Student Loan Defaults Soar By 36% Compared To Year Ago | Zero Hedge

Current student loans total nearly One Trillion Dollars.

Not too surprising since college costs have increased over
1,120 PERCENT in the past 30 years since 1978.
When I w*rked, we called these "gee whiz numbers". As in, the audience would say oh boy and gee whiz, and the presenter would move along and make a point unrelated to the numbers. Without context, entertaining but not meaningful.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #69

Student Loans:
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Delinquency rate:
Student loan write-offs hit $3 billion in first two months of year | Reuters

The real question is where the equity is located today, and in the future.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #70

Surely you could share some context and opinion instead of cold naked links?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
When I w*rked, we called these "gee whiz numbers". As in, the audience would say oh boy and gee whiz, and the presenter would move along and make a point unrelated to the numbers. Without context, entertaining but not meaningful.

As with the mortgage crisis, these debts will be paid back in the form of an overall lower standard of living. Fewer good jobs, less pay, along with inflation. As long as the electorate doesn't have to write checks to cover the losses, they don't see it as a problem. So, as you say, the gee whiz numbers are not meaningful to many.