College FB players leaving early to go pro !

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Had a good discussion with some family and friends yesterday during the bowl games about college football players leaving school early to go pro and join the NFL. After seeing some of the horrendous injuries I can see why an athlete would chose that route. After seeing a DB blow out his knee in the first quarter, somebody commented that injury may well cost him millions in salary in the not too distant future.

Another comment made that although graduation rates are up for players, the degrees in and of themselves aren't worth much if they are still pretty much sports related or some field with little to no demand.

Last comment was about how much the schools are making off these players and the coaches salaries. Point being the players should have more than an opportunity for a free college education.

I told the group in my pea brain way of thinking, college football is much like gladiator sport of old. You perform in a colosseum, wear body armor and do battle with the opponents. If you win you get to keep your life and some of the spoils. If you lose or get hurt, you're screwed. Somebody made the comment that maybe we haven't really evolved all that much, to which I thought, maybe we haven't.

Sure is fun to watch though.

Oh and congrats to my OSU Buckeyes and good luck to Bosa, Zeke and the others going pro.

Last edited:
It's bizarre that we have this whole big industry that is ostensibly connected with colleges, but is in fact entirely independent of the stated mission of these colleges (education), has an entirely separate employee management system, etc. It would be like the colleges running some sort of specially-licensed business that isn't subject to employment laws, etc.

If a college player in one of the major sports gets an attractive offer to go pro, they should certainly take it. They should feel no allegiance to the school--they are being used and should realize it. The colleges are just running a pseudo minor-league system for the NFL and NBA, and as soon as a player "gets the call" he/she should jump.

The teams and major-sport athletes have no connection to real students, real classes, and the stated purpose of the school. Exceptions: Minor sports, schools with true student athletes (at the top of that list would be the military academies).

Last edited:
It's bizarre that we have this whole big industry that is ostensibly connected with colleges, but is in fact entirely independent of the stated mission of these colleges (education), has an entirely separate employee management system, etc. It would be like the colleges running some sort of specially-licensed business that isn't subject to employment laws, etc.

If a college player in one of the major sports gets an attractive offer to go pro, they should certainly take it. They should feel no allegiance to the school--they are being used and should realize it. The colleges are just running a pseudo minor-league system for the NFL and NBA, and as soon as a player "gets the call" he/she should jump.

The teams and major-sport athletes have no connection to real students, real classes, and the stated purpose of the school.
I agree it's bizarre. When I was attending SDSU - they cut the library hours with the excuse that they needed more of the student fees to build the new stadium. In other words - they harmed the educational product in favor of sports. I was furious - and ended up using UCSD's 24 hour library on weekends when I couldn't get into SDSU's library because it was closed.

I agree it's bizarre. When I was attending SDSU - they cut the library hours with the excuse that they needed more of the student fees to build the new stadium. In other words - they harmed the educational product in favor of sports. I was furious - and ended up using UCSD's 24 hour library on weekends when I couldn't get into SDSU's library because it was closed.

When did SDSU build a new stadium? I still have a house in San Diego. Just watched a SDSU game on T.V last month. They where playing in the "Murph". (Qualcomm Stadium.) That stadium has been there forever.

Are you referring to the the basketball arena? That is only 10 years old or so.

I have often heard that many college football programs carry the other college sports. It is too bad some of that money or profit can't go into making school a little more affordable for the average person wanting a college eduction.

I gave up a Div 2 basketball scholarship to play Div 1 football. There are plenty of players who are studying actual relevant subjects. The problem with many of these kids starts at a young age. They aren't required to study in middle school, then high school and then college. But, there are a many if not most who actually study and get decent degrees. There are also many that go to FCS and Div 2 schools because they want to play but don't want the 24/7 time as a college athlete. No one is making these kids play football in college with no out of pocket expenses/ie. full ride. I don't feel sorry for any of them. I do think Div 1 athletes should ALWAYS and into Perpetuity be able to go back to that institution and graduate at no further expense.

When did SDSU build a new stadium? I still have a house in San Diego. Just watched a SDSU game on T.V last month. They where playing in the "Murph". (Qualcomm Stadium.) That stadium has been there forever.

Are you referring to the the basketball arena? That is only 10 years old or so.

Yes - cox arena (basketball). They started taking money from the student fees in the mid 80's - and cutting back on hours at Love Library because of it.

My point is that college sports should be secondary to education at a university.

I don't have a problem with it, because the universities are using the athletes anyway, at least usually in big time football and men's basketball. The real joke is that many of these "student" athletes were never really interested in a college education to begin with. The whole system is corrupt and ruins the spirit of collegiate athletics. Don't even get me started on the "one and done" in men's basketball. Just let them turn pro out of high school if they don't want to go to college.

I would much prefer to see football and men's hoops have developed minor leagues, like baseball and hockey, so the scholarships go to kids who really DO want an education (because they had a viable path to the big league that didn't require college).

I also believe that big time college athletics should be subject to the UBIT (Unrelated Business Income Tax) if they don't meet specified criteria for making sure they are more than just a jock factory, but that's another story and getting too deeply into that could bring the Pig out so I'll leave it there.

Last edited:
I have often heard that many college football programs carry the other college sports. It is too bad some of that money or profit can't go into making school a little more affordable for the average person wanting a college eduction.
For Division I, it's beyond heard. It's true. For lower divisions it's an expense but the school name recognition sports provide entices some to attend. Net, schools look at it as good advertisement.

I don't see why a school should use sports profit to make it cheaper for others to attend their school. But then, how do we know they don't?

Government could make colleges cheaper by stopping subsidization of student loans that incentivize higher college prices.

They aren't required to study in middle school, then high school and then college. But, there are a many if not most who actually study and get decent degrees.
Are you saying that at Div 1 schools many/most student athletes in major sports are studying and getting decent grades in real courses and without special accommodations/tutoring? Because that seems very unlikely.

If a private school wants to run a side business like this and sacrifice their academic reputation, then I may think it unfortunate and unsavory, but have no dog in the fight. But when a public school funded by my tax dollars wants to do the same, and thereby denies slots to students who are seeking an education so that a team of mascots can take the field for the benefit of the alumni, then I do have some heartburn. And I don't care if they turn a profit--if the public school could turn a profit by running a government-sanctioned brothel, I'd still be against it.

This is a subject that has so many facets it is almost hard to hard to discuss!

SMU, in the 60's went all out for Football. There studies showed that a winning football team meant an increase in freshmen enrollment and thus donations down the line. This was crucial for private universities. To bet the blue chip athletes you had to have great amenities. (weight rooms, locker rooms, stadium, cheerleaders:) etc.) I would bet that TCU and Baylor's freshman enrollment is up, along with donations from alumni.

On the 'Pay the college athlete side' You will find the large state schools, in general support this. They are, for the major universities cash rich! Over the last 40 years the NCAA had done a lot to balance the Div I schools. I went to school on an athletic scholarship. While it was 50 years ago, I think some of the same rules are in place. For every scholarship TCU gave out, the athletic department had to pay the school the full value of the scholarship. If this rule is still in effect, the difference in cost from the private university and the public university limits the number of scholarships the private university can afford to give out. It does not hurt football and basketball, but for all other sports it has a major effect. There were only two athletes on full scholarships on the track team at TCU my senior year! In today's environment I am sure these athletes would not be paid.

Last edited:
Good for them. If they are pro-level anyway, that's probably the most optimal career path for them. Why lose a year of six or seven (eight?) figure salary just to get your learn on and get a piece of paper to stick on a wall somewhere when you're old?

I've always considered education a pretext and a distraction for the top college athletes that are pro-level. Do people really take the education part seriously? For many that would never be able to go pro, college athletics is a good way to get a free ride in school and possibly a boost to earnings due to a bachelor's degree.

Yes, colleges treat football as a business, so why not the players as well. Also, from that aspect, I don't have a problem with players selling autographed merchandise, but the NCAA won't allow it.

Any how, I do hate it when my favorite college team loses so many underclassmen to the draft, thereby weakening next years team, but good for the players.

Yes, colleges treat football as a business, so why not the players as well. Also, from that aspect, I don't have a problem with players selling autographed

I agree completely, which is why I think big time college athletics should be treated as the business that it is, not some mercenary arm of a non-profit hiding behind a tax exemption. If an athletic program is harming the academic mission of the university more than it is enhancing it, it's a sham. And it's a business, not an academic enhancement.

Back
Top Bottom