Join Early Retirement Today

Re: College Football
Old 01-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did you see the interview of Coach Paterno and Coach Bowden after the game? The journalist (pretty young thing!) kept calling them by their first names (hey Joe, hey Bobby). Call me old-fashioned, but I was quite uncomfortable with her not addressing them as Coach Paterno and Coach Bowden or Mr. Paterno or Mr Bowden. I mean these are respected older men who've seen so many more things in life than she has. I don't doubt that they might be dirty old men, but still things certainly have changed......

Bridget aka Deserat

Hook'em Horns!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #22

Yakers, live here from Pasadena and the "big" game starts in about an hour. I'm not much of an SC fan but I would like them to win this one. I suppose I'll watch some of it on TV but mostly I will be trying to get home across the Rose Bowl traffic pattern. Oh, tha agony of modern sports.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:56 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep

I'll put it on tv - gave a 'go Pac10' as I grew up in Washington State - but I bet no money - and probably won't get too excited either way it goes.

heh heh heh
Old 01-04-2006, 07:58 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat
Did you see the interview of Coach Paterno and Coach Bowden after the game? The journalist (pretty young thing!) kept calling them by their first names (hey Joe, hey Bobby). Call me old-fashioned, but I was quite uncomfortable with her not addressing them as Coach Paterno and Coach Bowden or Mr. Paterno or Mr Bowden. I mean these are respected older men who've seen so many more things in life than she has. I don't doubt that they might be dirty old men, but still things certainly have changed......

Bridget aka Deserat

Hook'em Horns!
Around here, folks call him Joe. It's just how it's always been. In fact, a couple of times, I have yelled "Hey Joe! What the hell!?" at him after his Beamer came a little too close to my toes. Seriously.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:31 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hate to say I told you so.....no I don't! How about them Horns!!!!!!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:31 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! * Excuse me I have to go run 3 miles and settle down!

Good game, I spent half of it wriggling all over the floor going "YES!" "NO!" "ARGH!" *...one for the ages.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Hate to say I told you so.....no I don't!* How about them Horns!!!!!!*

ReWahoo: Helluva game that lived up to the hype.

Jarhead, who agrees with ReWahoo that Texas
is the best college team in the nation.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:47 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Yep

Great game. Watched the whole thing.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if I have ever seen one player(Young) make such a difference in a game. He sure has improved. He use to hold the ball like a loaf of bread and fumble a lot. Good game.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:56 AM   #30

I thought it interesting that Texas won not only the BCS, but also the BC$:

"According to reports filed by 55 of the 56 bowl teams with the Department of Education (Navy is exempt from filing) the University of Texas is the nation's richest, and most profitable football program, with revenue of $53.2 million, and a profit of $38.7 million, during the fiscal year that ended in August, just as the current season was about to get underway.

To put this into context, Texas' profit from football is more than the revenue of all but eight of the other schools in this year's bowls."

The best college football team money can buy.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/04/comm...sbiz/index.htm

Old 01-05-2006, 08:02 AM   #31

Texas got a couple of calls to go their way, but I'm soooo glad they took the championship away from the Left Coast. They were the better team.

Vince Young will make a good pro QB, but he won't run like that. Or if he does, he'll make a good temporary Pro QB.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #32

The second Texas TD should not have been allowed, his knee was clearly down, how could the replay team miss it, it was obvious to the naked eye?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Texas got a couple of calls to go their way, but I'm soooo glad they took the championship away from the Left Coast. They were the better team.

Vince Young will make a good pro QB, but he won't run like that.* Or if he does, he'll make a good temporary Pro QB.
Vince reminds me of a larger version of Randall Cunningham. I watched the whole game (unusual) and obviously was quite pleased.

JG
Old 01-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #34

My team won (Florida), so that's all I really care about. 8)

P.S. They did get a bit sloppy towards the end, but perhaps they didn't want to embarrass Iowa too much.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
The second Texas TD should not have been allowed, his knee was clearly down, how could the replay team miss it, it was obvious to the naked eye?
Poop happens. Some times when the officials make a really bad call
it ruins the whole game for me and I switch off the TV. Last night
I thought "All right! We'll take it!"

JG
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I thought it interesting that Texas won not only the BCS, but also the BC$:

"According to reports filed by 55 of the 56 bowl teams with the Department of Education (Navy is exempt from filing) the University of Texas is the nation's richest, and most profitable football program, with revenue of $53.2 million, and a profit of $38.7 million, during the fiscal year that ended in August, just as the current season was about to get underway.

To put this into context, Texas' profit from football is more than the revenue of all but eight of the other schools in this year's bowls."

The best college football team money can buy.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/04/comm...sbiz/index.htm

I didn't know this, but I am not surprised.

JG
Old 01-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
Bearing in mind this is only the second college football game i've ever watched (the first being the famous miami/bc 'flutie' game), and I didnt go to or care about either school.

That was a pretty suck call, and I was really surprised they didnt review it. Heck, they reviewed everything else. In fact, I think the extent of the reviewing after this blown call indicated that someone told them to take a little closer look. The officiating in general was pretty weak.

I remember telling my wife "I hope the game doesnt come down to six points or less in favor of texas; that'd be a pretty empty win".

To be fair, I saw a couple of calls go in favor of USC after the 'blown call', and one ended up helping them keep a drive alive that ended up in a touchdown. And to be fairer, as someone who STILL has to listen to Raiders fans whine about the "tuck rule game", USC had the rest of the game to pull off a win and could have stopped Texas on that final drive for a win and didnt do it.

Vince Young looked pretty dang good to me. Reggie Bush and Matt Leinert looked fairly ordinary. In fact, the other USC tailback (I dont recall his name) looked better than Bush to me. But this is the only game action i've seen them in. Having only watched these guys as NFL freshmen, with their heads on a swivel and the look of desperation in their eyes, it was interesting to see them going against lesser competition, full of swagger and confidence, at the top of their game.

I was also forced to do some headshaking at the quality of placekicking. I'm assuming that for the best two teams and two of the best programs around, that these are a couple of the better kickers. I've always been amazed that the NFL cant find 32 guys that can kick a frickin' football through the uprights with more consistency, and that totally worthless kickers like Jose Cortez can continue to be employed. Now I think I get it. Its apparently almost impossible to do.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
... I've always been amazed that the NFL cant find 32 guys that can kick a frickin' football through the uprights with more consistency, and that totally worthless kickers like Jose Cortez can continue to be employed. Now I think I get it. Its apparently almost impossible to do.
But it does help if you are "built" for kicking like Tom Dempsey, who set the record for longest field goal (63 yards) 35 years ago. It's been tied, but never broken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Dempsey

Old 01-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Yeah but i'd hate to cut off half my foot to be able to "make it" as an NFL kicker.

I wonder how many flights those guys make duct taped to the wall in the airplane bathroom after they miss a 30' attempt that would have won the game?

My favorite line regarding placekickers was when someone asked Steve Deberg how it felt to be the oldest player in the league, excepting some kicker or other...."kickers arent football players...."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Jay,

The only people who should be embarrassed in the Florida/Iowa game are the incompetent officials. I do wish my team (Iowa) had shown up at the beginning of the game instead of waiting until the last quarter. It would have been a lot more interesting. Anyway, You guys clearly wanted it more than we did at the outset and played that way. Our bad. I just resent having the opportunity to tie it up taken away by such an eggregious officiating blunder and I won't even go into the other three or four blown calls like the 15-yarder at the end of the first half for tackling. Now that we've both won a game in the last three years, I'm looking forward to the rubber game. In the mean time, if you get up this way give me an email and we can argue football over a couple of beers.

setab