College Football

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: Excuse me I have to go run 3 miles and settle down!

Good game, I spent half of it wriggling all over the floor going "YES!" "NO!" "ARGH!"  ...one for the ages.

REWahoo! said:
Hate to say I told you so.....no I don't!  How about them Horns!!!!!!  :D

ReWahoo: Helluva game that lived up to the hype.

Jarhead, who agrees with ReWahoo that Texas
is the best college team in the nation.

I don't know if I have ever seen one player(Young) make such a difference in a game. He sure has improved. He use to hold the ball like a loaf of bread and fumble a lot. Good game.

I thought it interesting that Texas won not only the BCS, but also the BC$:

"According to reports filed by 55 of the 56 bowl teams with the Department of Education (Navy is exempt from filing) the University of Texas is the nation's richest, and most profitable football program, with revenue of $53.2 million, and a profit of $38.7 million, during the fiscal year that ended in August, just as the current season was about to get underway.

To put this into context, Texas' profit from football is more than the revenue of all but eight of the other schools in this year's bowls."

The best college football team money can buy.:D

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/04/commentary/column_sportsbiz/sportsbiz/index.htm

Texas got a couple of calls to go their way, but I'm soooo glad they took the championship away from the Left Coast. They were the better team.

Vince Young will make a good pro QB, but he won't run like that. Or if he does, he'll make a good temporary Pro QB.

The second Texas TD should not have been allowed, his knee was clearly down, how could the replay team miss it, it was obvious to the naked eye?

Eagle43 said:
Texas got a couple of calls to go their way, but I'm soooo glad they took the championship away from the Left Coast. They were the better team.

Vince Young will make a good pro QB, but he won't run like that.  Or if he does, he'll make a good temporary Pro QB.

Vince reminds me of a larger version of Randall Cunningham. I watched the whole game (unusual) and obviously was quite pleased.

JG

My team won (Florida), so that's all I really care about. 8)

P.S. They did get a bit sloppy towards the end, but perhaps they didn't want to embarrass Iowa too much. :D

Howard said:
The second Texas TD should not have been allowed, his knee was clearly down, how could the replay team miss it, it was obvious to the naked eye?

Poop happens. Some times when the officials make a really bad call
it ruins the whole game for me and I switch off the TV. Last night
I thought "All right! We'll take it!" :)

JG

REWahoo! said:
I thought it interesting that Texas won not only the BCS, but also the BC$:

"According to reports filed by 55 of the 56 bowl teams with the Department of Education (Navy is exempt from filing) the University of Texas is the nation's richest, and most profitable football program, with revenue of $53.2 million, and a profit of $38.7 million, during the fiscal year that ended in August, just as the current season was about to get underway.

To put this into context, Texas' profit from football is more than the revenue of all but eight of the other schools in this year's bowls."

The best college football team money can buy.:D

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/04/commentary/column_sportsbiz/sportsbiz/index.htm

I didn't know this, but I am not surprised.

JG

Howard said:

Bearing in mind this is only the second college football game i've ever watched (the first being the famous miami/bc 'flutie' game), and I didnt go to or care about either school.

That was a pretty suck call, and I was really surprised they didnt review it. Heck, they reviewed everything else. In fact, I think the extent of the reviewing after this blown call indicated that someone told them to take a little closer look. The officiating in general was pretty weak.

I remember telling my wife "I hope the game doesnt come down to six points or less in favor of texas; that'd be a pretty empty win".

To be fair, I saw a couple of calls go in favor of USC after the 'blown call', and one ended up helping them keep a drive alive that ended up in a touchdown. And to be fairer, as someone who STILL has to listen to Raiders fans whine about the "tuck rule game", USC had the rest of the game to pull off a win and could have stopped Texas on that final drive for a win and didnt do it.

Vince Young looked pretty dang good to me. Reggie Bush and Matt Leinert looked fairly ordinary. In fact, the other USC tailback (I dont recall his name) looked better than Bush to me. But this is the only game action i've seen them in. Having only watched these guys as NFL freshmen, with their heads on a swivel and the look of desperation in their eyes, it was interesting to see them going against lesser competition, full of swagger and confidence, at the top of their game.

I was also forced to do some headshaking at the quality of placekicking. I'm assuming that for the best two teams and two of the best programs around, that these are a couple of the better kickers. I've always been amazed that the NFL cant find 32 guys that can kick a frickin' football through the uprights with more consistency, and that totally worthless kickers like Jose Cortez can continue to be employed. Now I think I get it. Its apparently almost impossible to do.

() said:
... I've always been amazed that the NFL cant find 32 guys that can kick a frickin' football through the uprights with more consistency, and that totally worthless kickers like Jose Cortez can continue to be employed. Now I think I get it. Its apparently almost impossible to do.

But it does help if you are "built" for kicking like Tom Dempsey, who set the record for longest field goal (63 yards) 35 years ago. It's been tied, but never broken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Dempsey

Yeah but i'd hate to cut off half my foot to be able to "make it" as an NFL kicker.

I wonder how many flights those guys make duct taped to the wall in the airplane bathroom after they miss a 30' attempt that would have won the game?

My favorite line regarding placekickers was when someone asked Steve Deberg how it felt to be the oldest player in the league, excepting some kicker or other...."kickers arent football players...."

Jay,

The only people who should be embarrassed in the Florida/Iowa game are the incompetent officials. I do wish my team (Iowa) had shown up at the beginning of the game instead of waiting until the last quarter. It would have been a lot more interesting. Anyway, You guys clearly wanted it more than we did at the outset and played that way. Our bad. I just resent having the opportunity to tie it up taken away by such an eggregious officiating blunder and I won't even go into the other three or four blown calls like the 15-yarder at the end of the first half for tackling. Now that we've both won a game in the last three years, I'm looking forward to the rubber game. In the mean time, if you get up this way give me an email and we can argue football over a couple of beers.

setab

I don't care for either team but I did enjoy watching a quality game full of talented athletes who showed respect for each other before/during/after the game. It is more than I can say for some of the poor sportsmanship and lack of respect displayed in some of the other bowls - Vick at VA Tech, Miami vs. LSU, etc. Hats off to both teams and their fans - class acts.

Back
Top Bottom