Join Early Retirement Today

College Football Championship
Old 12-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

College Football Championship

I was glad to see the Buckeyes make the cut but we need an eight team play-off system. I'm sure the selection committee will be getting a lot of flack but I do think they got it right.

GO BUCKEYES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised to see TCU get bumped too, until I read the committee rationale.

Quote:
Ohio State will have beaten as many ranked teams as Baylor did and one more than TCU did, and OSU's were away from home by multiple scores. OSU played 10 bowl teams in 13 games, compared to TCU's seven in 12 and Baylor's six in 12. And Saturday, Ohio State beat former No. 13 Wisconsin, 59-0.
And it beats the unverifiable approach they've used in the past. Presumably they'll only get better in their ranking/playoff methodology over the next few years.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #3

So happy to see Ohio State get in as number 4. What an impressive win 59-0 with their third string quarterback last night!
Old 12-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

OSU really deserved the spot. Impressive last game. I felt bad for TCU and Baylor and almost feel like TCU was used by the committee to heighten the drama about the rankings and a lot of bad feelings resulted between Baylor and TCU as a result, when TCU itself had nothing to do with where the committee was ranking the teams. I read there is a feeling the committee should not rank throughout the season, just do the seeding at the end.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I felt bad for TCU
+1
Old 12-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #6

The committee certainly got it wrong last week, and now wanted to make up for it (what was wrong last week was the Baylor vs TCU rank, after all, Baylor did beat TCU, although personally I like TCU). While I agree with the final decision, in my opinion, there was nothing that happened this past week that should have changed their prior weeks choice, unless that choice was clearly wrong.

Nevertheless, there will be no justice and only controversy until they go with a playoff scheme between the conference champs.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Seminoles are looking good to upset the Ducks.

Quote:

OSU played 10 bowl teams in 13 games, compared to TCU's seven in 12 and
Baylor's six in 12.
I wonder what bowl teams they refer to since2014/15 bowls have not been played yet?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Seminoles are looking good to upset the Ducks.
It would be nice if FSU expelled Winston before the game, but that will never happen. What a sleezy school administration. Anyway, the Ducks will expose them for the posers that they are.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #9

Quote:

I wonder what bowl teams they refer to since2014/15 bowls have not been played yet?
Remember, you only need to have 6 wins to be a bowl team, nationally ranked teams is another matter.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Remember, you only need to have 6 wins to be a bowl team, nationally ranked teams is another matter.

Yea but you are only a bowl team if you actually are invited and play in a bowl. 6 wins does not guarantee a bowl appearance at all. Just means that some bowl may come a-knockin.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 12-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #11

Go Ducks!!
Old 12-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Yea but you are only a bowl team if you actually are invited and play in a bowl. 6 wins does not guarantee a bowl appearance at all. Just means that some bowl may come a-knockin.
Right, they were probably referring to being bowl eligible, and there are certainly way too many bowls for me to name
Old 12-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #13

The committee solved the Big 12 TCU-Baylor dispute by taking the easy way out. Pass both of them over for OSU. This decision also helps with geographic interests, TV advertising dollars, and the fact that OSU fans travel in greater numbers than either Big 12 school. When things are close, always follow the money.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Go Ducks!

What impresses me is the clean play and good conduct by football players, coaches and staff. College students are bound to exercise poor judgment now and again, it comes with male brains under development but so far so good.

My cousin's family has been involved with the athletic department for many years, her Dad was the team physician for maybe 20 years. She got upset years ago when a Eugene cop stopped a Black football player for a tail-light violation (you know the type of flakey excuses Blacks are often pulled over for .. driving while Black), her family name was well known in town so she told the powers that be to knock it off and treat all the guys the same. I haven't heard her rant about that for a long time.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
The committee solved the Big 12 TCU-Baylor dispute by taking the easy way out. Pass both of them over for OSU. This decision also helps with geographic interests, TV advertising dollars, and the fact that OSU fans travel in greater numbers than either Big 12 school. When things are close, always follow the money.
First the committee created the dispute, then at the end they resolved it.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The committee certainly got it wrong last week, and now wanted to make up for it (what was wrong last week was the Baylor vs TCU rank, after all, Baylor did beat TCU, although personally I like TCU). While I agree with the final decision, in my opinion, there was nothing that happened this past week that should have changed their prior weeks choice, unless that choice was clearly wrong.

Nevertheless, there will be no justice and only controversy until they go with a playoff scheme between the conference champs.
+1 It makes no sense that TCU wins 55-3 and drops 3 spots and OSU wins 59-0 and jumps up 3 spots unless the committee thought they had it wrong last week.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Being from Texas I am disappointed in the decision....

First, the TCU/Baylor game could have gone either way... it was decided by 3 points... sure, Baylor won, but I would rank it as a tie....
Baylor lost bad to a team that TCU beat... so I thought that putting them ahead was OK.. IOW, TCU lost to a top 5 ranked team, none of the other 1 loss teams can say that.... if they lost, they lost to a much 'weaker' team...

Even thought Florida State was unbeaten, I do not see them as one of the best 4 teams.... looking at the stats and how dominant teams are, TCU and Baylor look better than Florida State....

Ohio State played 3 ranked teams.... and their loss was to a 6-6 team... their last win was pretty impressive, but I would have put TCU and Baylor ahead of them.... (as a note, Baylor lost to a 7-5 team and TCU to an 11-1 team.... TCU played 5 ranked teams... Baylor 3)...

Baylor, TCU and Oregon have the top 3 offenses with Ohio State in 4th..... Alabama has one of the best defenses.... Florida State is not even close....

So, I agree with Alabama and Oregon.... I can see Ohio State, but barely....(I would have chosen TCU or Baylor).... but Florida State should not be there even though they were undefeated... Marshall is an 11-1 team and they were not even in the running.... because they are not one of the best teams....

BTW, I would like to see more teams in the playoffs, but all that would do is make the argument be who is the best 2 loss team is.... or even 3 loss team.... someone will always be 'left out'.... look at basketball and even though they now have 68 teams somebody is complaining they should have been included....
Old 12-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
but Florida State should not be there even though they were undefeated...
Yet they have been rated in the top 4 all season. So far they have managed perfection during the last season (or is it the last 2 seasons?). When they add two more victories to the 2014 record, it will still reflect perfection. Evidently you can not get more perfect than perfect.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Why they bothered to have weekly rankings I have no idea...TCU was ranked in the top 4 won impressively and was dropped a few places? It's as if it was a "reality" show :P

Even an 8 team playoff will have controversy if there is a selection committee. Basketball has it and they have 64 teams that make the dance
Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #20

Thank goodness we have a college playoff system which has eliminated controversy.