Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

College Graduate Gift Ideas
Old 06-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

College Graduate Gift Ideas

Hello Everyone:

The daughter of my next-door neighbor has just graduated from the University of Washington (School of Business Administration). I have been invited to a Graduation Party/BBQ to be held at their home this weekend. I have known the daughter since she was 6 years old but have had limited contact with her over the last 5 or 6 years due to her attendance at college, so cannot think of anything specific that would suit her tastes/preferences. Her parents are very proud of her: She graduated with a 4.0 gpa and will be moving to New York City in a couple of weeks to start a job as a Managing Editor.

Any good ideas for a nice generic gift $50 or under?

Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: College Graduate Gift Ideas
Old 06-08-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

How about a gift certificate to a restaurant or museum in NYC? MOMA is wonderful, as is the MET. A play or show would be nice but would be more than $50 for two. Someone who lives in the city can probably recommend a restaurant.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How about ESRBob's book and maybe a copy of Bernstein as well.* *And some good c****late.

Edit: that profanity filter has gone a little too far. That should be c-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:30 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Wab and JB:

Thanks for the great ideas! Much better than the boring/non-creative stuff I was thinking of.

BTW, I have no doubt ER can easily become an option for this very competent young woman: In addition to her own smarts/high work ethics/ambition, her boyfriend will be attending Harvard Law School after completing an internship in NYC. If they get married (and it sounds very likely they will) . . . Wow! What an awesome duo they will be.

Toejam
Old 06-09-2006, 05:06 AM   #5

If she's moving then maybe a GC to a home goods store? And a copy of Bob's book.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
Administrator

Old 06-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #7

Consider the Access Guide to NYC (by Richard Saul Wurman et al). I have used these for several cities (not NY though) and like them. They cover a lot more than just restaurants and hotels.

We just gave Kevin Phillips' "American Theocracy" to a graduating HS senior (will be attending Emory's honors college), but he's into politics and is working for Mark Warner this summer. I left a Barnes & Noble gift receipt inside the front cover in case he already read it, but he hadn't and was pleased to receive it.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, maybe a metrocard?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Outtahere, Gumby, Astromeria, Brewer:*

Thanks for all your great suggestions for a college grad gift.* I decided on giving her the "Four Pillars of Investing" by Bernstein and John Maxwell's "Real Leadership: The 101 Collection", and a smaller-sized box of Godiva Chocolates.* (Didn't realize how expensive those chocolates were!) ESR Bob's book would've also been great, but didn't want to push the "early retirement" life so soon as she is just starting out and is probably looking forward to the excitement and challenges of a new job.* *

Toejam

p.s. Brewer: Metrocard? Sounds like a very practical gift, but . . . . .