College graduation gift advice

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I want to get a young woman I’ve mentored a graduation gift. She’s moving from So CA to Orlando to work in the office for Disney. She’ll be living in an apartment with another Disney intern. I’d like to get her something useful and at least semi-permanent (ie, not cash or a gift card) with a cost of $50 or less.

Thoughts please?

A basket of good quality personal care products (lotions, moisturizer, sun screen, facial cleansing tissue, etc.). Get a nice square basket that can be used to organize these products and others that she will purchase later.

A book is often a good gift.

Or something she will use in the office - perhaps a leather portfolio or binder.

Not a graduation gift, but when we got married, we received two nice small vases (we did not have a registery). Forty-five years later we still have them and use them. One is Waterford and I see you can buy this through Amazon in your price range. Your mentee might like that.

Maybe combine something fun and something practical? Perhaps a book on personal finances for those starting out their careers along with some useful kitchen tools? or maybe a basic tool kit? My dad got me a screwdriver set/hammer etc when I moved into my apt and they were very useful and I kept them for years.

Last edited:
That bracelet is a neat idea. You may want to see if you can get something engraved locally with some personal sentiment that would mean something to both of you. I have no idea what engraving costs, though.

https://www.amazon.com/SOLOCUTE-Ins...-spons&keywords=inspirational+bracelets&psc=1

A young girl on the move in a shared apartment might like something like this.

There are many different styles and mottos, sometimes you buy them as a pair. I understand it's not very useful I've gifted several of my young females relatives with similar bracelets.

Great idea. I just ordered two; one for a niece that just graduated college and one for a niece that will graduate next May.

https://www.amazon.com/SOLOCUTE-Inspirational-Possibility-everywhere-Anniversary/dp/B071RV79HM/ref=sr_1_32_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526323623&sr=8-32-spons&keywords=inspirational+bracelets&psc=1

A young girl on the move in a shared apartment might like something like this.

There are many different styles and mottos, sometimes you buy them as a pair. I understand it's not very useful I've gifted several of my young females relatives with similar bracelets.

I wear one like this but it has a chain with a clasp on it--my friend lost the style pictured within a few days after I gave it to her.

My son wanted an espresso machine, ... probably more than $50 though.

What field did you mentor her in? My dad got me a nice pen when I graduated as an accountant. Is there something you can tie to the work you did with her?

Alex and Ani bracelet . They have tons of styles and are very popular with younger women .

Unless you know for sure that something "permanent" would be appreciated then just give money. Does she have any allergies that would react with metal in a bracelet, ingredients in a lotion/shampoo/soap? If you don't know, money or a gift card would be more appropriate, especially since she's moving out of state. A couple of my cousins are graduating college this Spring and I'm sending money.

The Millionaire Next Door (book). Starting someone off with this could change their entire life!

A friend's daughter is graduating soon from university and I would like to give her a $100 stake in a stock index fund so she can start to learn about investing. Vanguard's minimum is $50, no?

-BB

Keurig compact coffee machine? $59 at Walmart.

The Millionaire Next Door (book). Starting someone off with this could change their entire life!

+1 Hopefully before the high consumption spending patterns set it.

Thanks for all the ideas. I don’t know her too well personally, so decided to buy a couple of books that I hope will help her start her career successfully.

Back
Top Bottom