College World Series

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Got a friend who's nephew is on the Fresno St. team, so we have been following their improbable path - now 41 days on the road. They have faced elimination in every round from the conference finals, regionals, super regionals, CWS tournament, and now the World Series finals.

Game one Monday, they were up by 3 runs in the 8th when Georgia rallied to win by one. Last night they were down by 5 in the early innings and came back to win 19-10.

This has been the most exciting baseball I've ever seen. Generally, it's like watching grass grow to me. But this is beyond Rocky and the Cinderella story combined. Fresno is the lowest ranked team to play in the finals in any college sport, not just baseball, ever.

Tonight is the final game. If you like sports competition, this is the hottest thing going. ESPN - 7 PM eastern, 4 PM pacific.

As an alumnus of Fresno's historical arch-rival San Jose State, this gives me mixed feelings.

On one hand, I find it hard to root for Fresno for *anything*.

On the other hand, I would love to see a WAC school take it all. I just wish it was a team other than Fresno! And I do enjoy the underdog angle, especially from a non-"glamour conference".

I guess I see the glass as half full: Either the WAC wins the championship or Fresno loses it. :)

Fresno St Bulldogs won it all. Wow! My friend's nephew, who is a freshman, even got in the final game as a pinch hitter and got a hit. Pretty exciting for him I'm sure. I got to play in the final 4 in my sport in college and remember what a great time that was in my life.

Back
Top Bottom