Colonoscopy

Laurence said:
I thought that only happened in prison!  :confused:

Geez, I'm really looking forward to my golden years after this thread!  :p

There is hardly a field where Murphy's Law is more applicable than medicine.

JG

I've had a sigmoidoscopy (sp?) which is the less invasive procedure where you are not put under.  They allow you to look at the progress on the monitor which is facinating.  While the gas pain during was sometimes intense, the gas pain afterwards was worse (for me).  I ended up driving home in a torrental rain storm with intense pain for 10 seconds which reoccured every minute.  It took a couple of hours before the pains completely subsided.  I'm glad I didn't plan a feast! 

Thanks for all the replies. Although I had been due for one since age 50 I had been avoiding it. I am a kidney/pancreas transplant patient (9 years ago) with no transplant related problems until year 8.5 when my new transplanted pancreas quit working on me. I am trying to qualify to get on the pancreas transplant list and in order to do so need a battery of tests, one of which is the colonoscopy. So I can't put it off any longer.

My gastroenterologist, who has a very good reputation, says I was due anyway because of my age. He told me that one in a thousand results in puncture or other injury requiring surgery. Due to my medical condition (reduced kidney capacity) he has prescribed the two liters of prep drink and pills combo instead of the gallon of prep drink only. Also, he said that the anesthesia would be the completely unconscious kind, which sounds good to me.

Mike D. - who has three kidneys and two pancreases (niether working)

MikeD said:
Thanks for all the replies.  Although I had been due for one since age 50 I had been avoiding it.  I am a kidney/pancreas transplant patient (9 years ago) with no transplant related problems until year 8.5 when my new transplanted pancreas quit working on me.  I am trying to qualify to get on the pancreas transplant list and in order to do so need a battery of tests, one of which is the colonoscopy.  So I can't put it off any longer.

My gastroenterologist, who has a very good reputation, says I was due anyway because of my age.  He told me that one in a thousand results in puncture or other injury requiring surgery.  Due to my medical condition (reduced kidney capacity) he has prescribed the two liters of prep drink and pills combo instead of the gallon of prep drink only.  Also, he said that the anesthesia would be the completely unconscious kind, which sounds good to me.

Mike D. - who has three kidneys and two pancreases (niether working)

In your case it sounds like a pretty easy decision.
Good luck!

JG

Here's a question. I did a quick search and didn't find the number I'm looking for but maybe one of ya'll can stumble upon it if you get the time.

Just what ARE the chances of getting colon cancer? What is the expected lifespan of someone who gets it vs the life span of someone who doesn't get it? What KIND of people get it? Sex/Race/diet/boozers/non-boozers...?

As we all know Reagan had thsoe precancerous polyps removed while he was in office. Without the test...? Who knows? I also know a guy who was only like 40 or 41. Same thing, BUT he didnt have the colonoscopy. He noticed bleeding. Got the surgery and got fixed up. All OK. So, what..? Like we should all get the test at age 35, now?

Seems like case of Colon-neurosis on the oart of people who make money being neurotic over YOUR health

razztazz said:
Here's a question.  I did a quick search and didn't find the number I'm looking for but maybe one of ya'll can stumble upon it if you get the time. 

Just what ARE the chances of getting colon cancer?  What is the expected lifespan of someone who gets it vs the life span of someone who doesn't get it? What KIND of people get it? Sex/Race/diet/boozers/non-boozers...?

As we all know Reagan had thsoe precancerous polyps removed while he was in office. Without the test...? Who knows?  I also know a guy who was only like 40 or 41. Same thing, BUT he didnt have the colonoscopy. He noticed bleeding. Got the surgery and got fixed up. All OK. So, what..? Like we should all get the test at age 35, now? 

Seems like case of Colon-neurosis on the oart of people who make money being neurotic over YOUR health

Not quite right. They make money making YOU neurotic "over your health".

JG

<<<I am trying to qualify to get on the pancreas transplant list and in order to do so need a battery of tests, one of which is the colonoscopy. >>>

Hey MikeD, best of luck to you. Please keep us posted.

-helen

Galt didnt read what I said. I am NOT the one who's neurotic. I hold these tests highly sustpect. The emdical industry is nerotic.

As far as "always go with the technology" life is precious get the test yadda yadda somebody knows somebody who died .

MY father. heart disease veruy young. Ded at 57 many AHs and strokes. So I do the lipitor for mildly high cholesterol. Massive ADR. I will live the rest of my life on drugs to compensate for the destruction the statins caused. Of course later all vascular tests..most recently 2 weeks ago... show the heart and arteries of a 20 yr old. Life ruined for nothing. Just being careful. Ya never know. Sell a few ****ing pills. Take risks based on statisictics instead of data. Wonder why dr's get sued. That's why I was asking about the data . No I ain't gonna just get the test. And whatever the Dr says has to pass my own higher level of medical knowledge

razztazz said:
Just what ARE the chances of getting colon cancer?  What is the expected lifespan of someone who gets it vs the life span of someone who doesn't get it? What KIND of people get it? Sex/Race/diet/boozers/non-boozers...?

As we all know Reagan had thsoe precancerous polyps removed while he was in office. Without the test...? Who knows?  I also know a guy who was only like 40 or 41. Same thing, BUT he didnt have the colonoscopy. He noticed bleeding. Got the surgery and got fixed up. All OK. So, what..? Like we should all get the test at age 35, now? 

Exactly. I don't think the trauma and the risks are worth the early notification if other tests will detect the same problems in time for treatment.

I'd much prefer fecal occult tests to the colon/sigmoid "alternatives". And the only reason I show up for DREs (in addition to PSAs) is a family history of prostate cancer.

>Don't be stupid, just do it. Life is dicey enough without ignoring a lethal but >preventable disease.

Agreed. My 44 year old cousin was dead in less than a year because of colon cancer. By the time they found it, the cancer had spread to her liver and lungs. Colon cancer runs in my family so it's crucial that I get a colonoscopy very soon.

MikeD

Good luck with all your medical problems. Hope everything works out for you.

Dreamer

Yea, I almost blew off the MRI for my hearing problem which turned up an unrelated brain aneurysm. Before that I had never had a serious health problem.

Dave Barry says that MRI stands for "Machine that will find something wrong with you no matter what."

I sure didn't want to start a wave of colonoscopy bashing. I'm pretty sure the case for having one at age 50 isn't a slam dunk, as the news media portray it, but it still may be the smart thing to do.

I think it is healthy to have skepticism with health care and drugs. 1/1000 risk isnt good in my book. I am not near the age of being tested, but would look at less invasive options. I suspect by the time I am 50, this wont be used anymore, anyway.

This thread along with some intrepidation has made me decide to cancel my colonoscopy that is scheduled next month. I read the information for the prep and it is truly disgusting. :-X

In addition, I have an older friend of mine (74) that had one in April, and he is still trying to get rid of an infection (Cee -Def for short), that was caused by an improperly disinfected tool. He has since spent over $6,000 out of pocket for antibiotics to try and get rid of this infection, which by the way is only picked up in Hospitals.

Since there is anecdotal evidence on both sides of this procedure, I think you must come to your own decision. I made mine today. With no family history of Colon Cancer and being in perfectly good health. The Procedure itself looks riskier to me. They actually tell you that they puncture the Colon 2 times out of every 1000 procedures! :mad: - In addition, I have had some very bad experiences with the Medical Industry, specifically related to my allergies. I simply do not trust them :rant:

There are some new technologies coming very soon that are less invasive. MRI for Colon. Cameras swallowed in Pill form etc. - I think I'll wait a few years.

I know I fell better already :)

One of the inventions that I never bothered inventing was a toilet that perfomed a fecal and urine analysis after each flush. If somebody else would like to invent it, feel free, and send me one as gift. I want real-time non-invasive monitoring of my body. Is that too much to ask for? Even my stupid car has built-in diagnostics.

Attachments

• toilet.jpg
    toilet.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 80
wabmester said:
One of the inventions that I never bothered inventing was a toilet that perfomed a fecal and urine analysis after each flush.   If somebody else would like to invent it, feel free, and send me one as gift.    I want real-time non-invasive monitoring of my body.   Is that too much to ask for?   Even my stupid car has built-in diagnostics.

My gosh, that's a great idea. Could be expanded to other bodily emissions.
Excellent!

JG

Just do it!  Had one two years ago (at 60) - prep was relatively easy - 2 oz of liguid added to plain water - no bad taste or anything

Best news was the Dr said that the results indicated that I wouldn't need a retest for 10 more years!

JohnP

As with many of the above respondents, I've had a colonoscopy and found it mostly a nonevent. If one is above 50, he/she should take the test to make certain that his/her health is sound. Nothing exotic or sinister there. I couldn't help but notice, though, that it would cost $1,300 without insurance -- which was at a group negotiated rate of $450. Just more evidence that the uninsured get ripped off (if they actually undergo elective exams like this at their cost) big time by institutions in the medical profession.

Ok here is my tail of woe.... :(

The prep is a bunch of water with a couple of small bottles of laxative.  The results are quick and run all night.  8)

The procedure in my case was quite painful.  The Dr. keep telling me to take it easy,  I told him to add more drugs...  They did not give me enough drugs to keep me drugged up so I felt the whole damn thing.  My regular doctor was really pissed when I did my follow up with him.  He said they should have adjusted the dose to fit me (big guy) better.  Also, I have been on pain meds for many years due to several back surgeries etc. so that could have made a difference.  Same thing with the dentist....a minimum of three shots to kill the pain.  Had a filling once with full feeling even after three shots.... no fun at all  :mad:

Your milage may vary and I hope you are in the majority that has no major pain with it.  Just make sure you tell them you want to be out for the procedure.  

It is a pain in the a@@ but the results are worth it.  I am OK for 10 years.  

My procedure at 50 was the same as described. Prep was the worst part although I had to take 27 pills instead of drinking that bad stuff. I would recomment the pills if your doctor does that. The procedure was a non event as I just remember the first few minutes. I believe my bill was $1800 and the insurance comapny rate was $800. Another reason that you have to have insurance.

"I couldn't help but notice, though, that it would cost $1,300 without insurance -- which was at a group negotiated rate of $450.  Just more evidence that  the uninsured  get ripped off (if they actually undergo elective exams like this at their cost) big time by institutions in the medical profession."

- does a high deductible plan do any negotiating. Say if it is 5000. Do you have to pay the inflated pricing up to the 5k?

maddythebeagle said:
- does a high deductible plan do any negotiating. Say if it is 5000. Do you have to pay the inflated pricing up to the 5k?

All medical bills are filed through the insurance co and you pay the discounted rate even for your deductible portion. At least in the case of a Golden Rule HSA policy.

And if you think about it, it is in the insurance co's best interest to keep you paying that deductible as long as possible before their coverage kicks in. Therefore they should do their best to get the best rates, even if you are paying in full.

REW

Back
Top Bottom