Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Colonoscopy
Old 07-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #41

This thread along with some intrepidation has made me decide to cancel my colonoscopy that is scheduled next month. I read the information for the prep and it is truly disgusting.

In addition, I have an older friend of mine (74) that had one in April, and he is still trying to get rid of an infection (Cee -Def for short), that was caused by an improperly disinfected tool. He has since spent over $6,000 out of pocket for antibiotics to try and get rid of this infection, which by the way is only picked up in Hospitals.

Since there is anecdotal evidence on both sides of this procedure, I think you must come to your own decision. I made mine today. With no family history of Colon Cancer and being in perfectly good health. The Procedure itself looks riskier to me. They actually tell you that they puncture the Colon 2 times out of every 1000 procedures! - In addition, I have had some very bad experiences with the Medical Industry, specifically related to my allergies. I simply do not trust them

There are some new technologies coming very soon that are less invasive. MRI for Colon. Cameras swallowed in Pill form etc. - I think I'll wait a few years.

I know I fell better already
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the inventions that I never bothered inventing was a toilet that perfomed a fecal and urine analysis after each flush. If somebody else would like to invent it, feel free, and send me one as gift. I want real-time non-invasive monitoring of my body. Is that too much to ask for? Even my stupid car has built-in diagnostics.

Old 07-23-2005, 11:35 PM   #43

Attached Images
File Type: jpg toilet.jpg (13.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 07-24-2005, 05:16 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
One of the inventions that I never bothered inventing was a toilet that perfomed a fecal and urine analysis after each flush.* *If somebody else would like to invent it, feel free, and send me one as gift.* * I want real-time non-invasive monitoring of my body.* *Is that too much to ask for?* *Even my stupid car has built-in diagnostics.
My gosh, that's a great idea. Could be expanded to other bodily emissions.
Excellent!

JG
Old 07-25-2005, 02:48 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Just do it!* Had one two years ago (at 60) - prep was relatively easy - 2 oz of liguid added to plain water - no bad taste or anything

Best news was the Dr said that the results indicated that I wouldn't need a retest for 10 more years!

JohnP

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 03:13 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

As with many of the above respondents, I've had a colonoscopy and found it mostly a nonevent. If one is above 50, he/she should take the test to make certain that his/her health is sound. Nothing exotic or sinister there. I couldn't help but notice, though, that it would cost $1,300 without insurance -- which was at a group negotiated rate of $450. Just more evidence that the uninsured get ripped off (if they actually undergo elective exams like this at their cost) big time by institutions in the medical profession.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:16 PM   #47

Ok here is my tail of woe....

The prep is a bunch of water with a couple of small bottles of laxative. *The results are quick and run all night. *8)

The procedure in my case was quite painful. *The Dr. keep telling me to take it easy, *I told him to add more drugs... *They did not give me enough drugs to keep me drugged up so I felt the whole damn thing. *My regular doctor was really pissed when I did my follow up with him. *He said they should have adjusted the dose to fit me (big guy) better. *Also, I have been on pain meds for many years due to several back surgeries etc. so that could have made a difference. *Same thing with the dentist....a minimum of three shots to kill the pain. *Had a filling once with full feeling even after three shots.... no fun at all *

Your milage may vary and I hope you are in the majority that has no major pain with it. *Just make sure you tell them you want to be out for the procedure. *

It is a pain in the a@@ but the results are worth it. *I am OK for 10 years. *
Old 07-25-2005, 06:20 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

My procedure at 50 was the same as described. Prep was the worst part although I had to take 27 pills instead of drinking that bad stuff. I would recomment the pills if your doctor does that. The procedure was a non event as I just remember the first few minutes. I believe my bill was $1800 and the insurance comapny rate was $800. Another reason that you have to have insurance.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:02 PM   #49

"I couldn't help but notice, though, that it would cost $1,300 without insurance -- which was at a group negotiated rate of $450.* Just more evidence that* the uninsured* get ripped off (if they actually undergo elective exams like this at their cost) big time by institutions in the medical profession."

- does a high deductible plan do any negotiating. Say if it is 5000. Do you have to pay the inflated pricing up to the 5k?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
- does a high deductible plan do any negotiating. Say if it is 5000. Do you have to pay the inflated pricing up to the 5k?
All medical bills are filed through the insurance co and you pay the discounted rate even for your deductible portion. At least in the case of a Golden Rule HSA policy.

And if you think about it, it is in the insurance co's best interest to keep you paying that deductible as long as possible before their coverage kicks in. Therefore they should do their best to get the best rates, even if you are paying in full.

REW

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #51

good point, thanks.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:58 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
good point, thanks.
Please try to avoid using the word "point" when discussing colonoscopy

JG
Old 12-06-2005, 09:08 PM   #53

Well, had another one today.* Doctor reported one polyp.* Told me to return in 3 years for follow-up.

Worst part of this procedure is the day before.* No solid foods, no booze, and starting at 7 p.m. begin taking Fleet phosporus (sp) a laxitive that is uhhhhhh... effective.* Then this morning, take it one more time just to be sure you're clean.* Yuk.

This morning, I was drugged to unconsciousness while the doc and his henchgirls poked and prodded. Got there at 8:50a.m. and was home by 11:30a.m.* No problems with the procedure, so far, anyway.

Went out for a Mexican fix this evening.* Two margaritas, chicken fajitas with all the trimmings.* Bowel is slowly filling up.* I feel better now.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good for you.

Colon cancer runs in my family. I've had 2 uneventful painless colonoscopies and would schedule another but our current insurance won't pay when you're under 50 without a symptom.

Enjoying good Mexican food runs in my family as well, but why did you stop at just 2 Margaritas?

I used to work in a hospital ... one of my duties was to give enemas until clear for in-house patients having lower GI tests.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Worst part of this procedure is the day before.
I gotta admit that you guys are really making me look forward to starting this procedure in just five short years.

Maybe I should invest my stock money in a company developing a non-penetrating colonoscopy...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:42 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Well, had another one today.* Doctor reported one polyp.* Told me to return in 3 years for follow-up.

Worst part of this procedure is the day before.* No solid foods, no booze, and starting at 7 p.m. begin taking Fleet phosporus (sp) a laxitive that is uhhhhhh... effective.* Then this morning, take it one more time just to be sure you're clean.* Yuk.

This morning, I was drugged to unconsciousness while the doc and his henchgirls poked and prodded. Got there at 8:50a.m. and was home by 11:30a.m.* No problems with the procedure, so far, anyway.

Went out for a Mexican fix this evening.* Two margaritas, chicken fajitas with all the trimmings.* Bowel is slowly filling up.* I feel better now.
I just got my second colonoscopy about a month ago. *My mother died of colon cancer so I got my first one at age 48. *I was thinking that the worst part about them was the laxitive the night before. *But today I was reminded of the other bad part. *The bill arrived. * *This time they gave me snapshots of the inside of my colon. *I'm thinking of framing them and putting them up with the rest of the family photos. *
Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #57

Nords,

Virtual Colonoscopy is already a reality. *

I'm not sure how reliable it is. *I still go every 3 years for mine, a few polyps the last visit. *The only bad part is the prep.
The test is a piece of cake, well sort of.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I gotta admit that you guys are really making me look forward to starting this procedure in just five short years.

Maybe I should invest my stock money in a company developing a non-penetrating colonoscopy...
The non-penetrating colonoscopy should be avaialble soon, along with the non-penetrating dental fillings.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:00 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
This time they gave me snapshots of the inside of my colon. I'm thinking of framing them and putting them up with the rest of the family photos.
Why? Is there a strong family resemblance?

(Sorry. Couldn't pass that one up. )

Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Nords, it isn't so bad. Just envision sitting astride your sub when they raise the periscope...

(Yep, CHP....)