Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Come say hi to ESRBob in California at a book signing
Old 03-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a great time at ESR Bob's discussion and book-signing in SF last Wednesday. Excellent presentation, Bob! Everyone at the cash register was buzzing about it afterward. Now back in town and starting the book. And, yes, that dryer sheet was used!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

California Dreamer
It was great to see you there and know the dryer sheet flag is flying.

To everyone else: So last Wed night I'm presenting to a group in an SF bookstore and there is one face that really is lit up and clearly understanding what this was all about. When he came up afterwards to chat I said to him, "you are so ready to ER" and he whips out his dryer sheet and says, "Call me California Dreamer" and I said, "Well no wonder you 'get it'...". We had a good laugh!

To Dan Tien -- I ate at about 6 taquerias while I was there but didn't get to the exact one you have pictured here. Man they are good, though and cheap, too. Perfect for ERs (as long as you like tacos, I guess!) The one I liked best (went twice) was on Mission between 24th and 25th, so I couldn't have been far from yours. Another good one at 17th and Valencia (also in the Mission District I guess). Gotta watch parking on the sidestreets but I'll brave the Mission at night for good tacos and hibiscus or guava juice (blending them is pretty good, too)

Old 03-20-2006, 11:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
California Dreamer
It was great to see you there and know the dryer sheet flag is flying.

To everyone else: So last Wed night I'm presenting to a group in an SF bookstore and there is one face that really is lit up and clearly understanding what this was all about. When he came up afterwards to chat I said to him, "you are so ready to ER" and he whips out his dryer sheet and says, "Call me California Dreamer" and I said, "Well no wonder you 'get it'...". We had a good laugh!

To Dan Tien -- I ate at about 6 taquerias while I was there but didn't get to the exact one you have pictured here. Man they are good, though and cheap, too. Perfect for ERs (as long as you like tacos, I guess!) The one I liked best (went twice) was on Mission between 24th and 25th, so I couldn't have been far from yours. Another good one at 17th and Valencia (also in the Mission District I guess). Gotta watch parking on the sidestreets but I'll brave the Mission at night for good tacos and hibiscus or guava juice (blending them is pretty good, too)
Hey Bob. Welcome back. Sounds like you had a great trip and sold some books. Besides that you ate like a king, but at a bargain rate!
Know the place on Mission/24-25th...lived for a while a block away on Capp...just as good as the other really..SFers can get a little carried away with food and their favorite places - it's a religion.
How do you like book presentations...anymore coming up?
Old 03-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #24

Dan,
Glad you knew the one on Mission.

THe bookstore presentations were a blast -- it was always a nice blend of 15-20 minutes of presentation on the basics of ER and then 30-40 minutes of questions. Very easy and relaxing.

Now the TV appearances are another matter -- very stressful for me anyway. You hav 3-4 minutes and you have to remember abour 43 things all of which are using a different part of the brain, from posture, facial expression, eyes (can't let them flick around or wander it;ll make you look like a crook!) then of course to all the stuff you are supposed to say: you can't just answer their questions, you have to 'control' the interview, dispose of the questions and steer the conversation back to your 3 or 4 main points, all the while sounding enthusiastic, smooth, looking empathetic and not forgetting what you were going to say!

Anyway, glad its over for now. They're going to plan a tour around New England next (spring or summer) which I'll be able to drive to. Will let you know if I ever get to Minnie.